what is a good beginner's keyboard? ??

Renoir1

• Members

A good beginner's instrument is one that inspires you to play a lot. If you're going to do it, invest in it. The worst thing a beginning guitar player can do is buy a cheap guitar because they suck and make things much harder than they need to be. A beginning keyboard will have crappy sounds, horrible action, cheap feel, etc. and will NOT be inspiring.

Do you want to play a piano? GET A PIANO.

If you look around, you can get a good piano for FREE. Check Craigslist. They are on there all the time. I got my piano for free because they were tired of having it tuned every year.

-Mc

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir1

View Post

i would like to learn to play piano, but it's too expensive cry.gif , so i'm thinking maybe a keyboard idea.gif

If you want to play piano then at least get a keyboard with a weighted action. The cheapest is the Williams Allegro at $300, though Musicians Friend periodically has 15% off coupons (and Guitar Center just had it on sale for $200). Or look for something used, you might come across a good deal on something like a Yamaha P85/P95 of a Casio CDP-100 or PX-anything.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

If you look around, you can get a good piano for FREE. Check Craigslist. They are on there all the time. I got my piano for free because they were tired of having it tuned every year.

That's the problem, they're not really free. They will cost money to move and to keep tuned. But I agree, if that's not prohibitive for someone, and they live somewhere where they can play it without disturbing people, that's best!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
A good beginner's instrument is one that inspires you to play a lot. If you're going to do it, invest in it. The worst thing a beginning guitar player can do is buy a cheap guitar because they suck and make things much harder than they need to be. A beginning keyboard will have crappy sounds, horrible action, cheap feel, etc. and will NOT be inspiring.

Do you want to play a piano? GET A PIANO.

-Mc
this

unless you have friends with moving experience and a truck, moving it will blow your budget and then it will need to be tuned

but you'll have a REAL piano

• Members

Its totally unrealistic to think you'll get a decent keyboard for $100 to $200. At the very least save up a few hundred and try various new and used rompler keyboards in the $400-$600 range. As another said, its dumb for a beggining guitar player to get cheap guitar, same goes for keyboards.

• Members

I think the first mistake beginners make is in buying a beginner's keyboard.

Get something that's a step or two above you, and grow into it. Entry level keyboards may sound better than they did a few years ago, but they still sound like {censored} compared to a pro level rompler workstation from 10 years ago. Save up a little and buy a used K2500, or a little more and get a Korg Krome.

But yeah, the same advice a good guitar player would give a beginner is the advice I'd give a pianist/keyboardist just starting out. Get a keyboard that was made for pros to buy and sound good. The good news is that you can now buy for $500 what used to cost $4,000 (K2500), and they still sound VERY good.

The flip side -- and this is very telling -- is that a cheap Yamaha PSR keyboard or Casio rompler piano honestly doesn't even sound very good when a skilled pianist plays one. Sure, you can tell that the player has skill, but the sound itself can't be helped. Low to mid level consumer keyboards have sampled pianos that sound tinny and thin, and the velocity response is not very expressive, thanks to the cheap keybed and mediocre multi-sampling (usually with no cross-fading between pitch ranges or velocities).

Just some food for thought.

• 5 months later...

Archived