Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good beginner's keyboard? ??

i would like to learn to play piano, but it's too expensive , so i'm thinking maybe a keyboard

tahnks

What's your budget? Yamaha and Casio both have a range of digital pianos that would be a better choice than their other home keyboards.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">My VCAs go to<b> 11</b></div>

Comment

Yamaha MX49 or 61, OR, wait to see what pops up at NAMM 2013.
      https://soundcloud.com/jersey-bloke<br><br>DSI Mopho X4<br>Elektron Analog Four<br>Akai MPC 2500<br>StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital Mixer<br>Allen &amp; Heath Xone VF-1 Analog Stereo Filter<br>Studio One V2.5 Professional Edition<br>Ableton Live 9 Standard

Comment

those seem expensive, i was hoping for around $100 - $200 if possible

then, if i get better and like it, i could buy one of better quality

Comment

<div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

A good beginner's instrument is one that inspires you to play a lot. If you're going to do it, invest in it. The worst thing a beginning guitar player can do is buy a cheap guitar because they suck and make things much harder than they need to be. A beginning keyboard will have crappy sounds, horrible action, cheap feel, etc. and will NOT be inspiring.

Do you want to play a piano? GET A PIANO.

If you look around, you can get a good piano for FREE. Check Craigslist. They are on there all the time. I got my piano for free because they were tired of having it tuned every year.

-Mc
            <b>Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):</b><br><br><blockquote><hr>Footfall wrote:<br><p>What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally &quot;overpacking&quot; this product.</p><br><hr></blockquote><br><font size="1"><i><b>Current Korg Gear:</b> KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2</i></font>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir1
              View Post

i would like to learn to play piano, but it's too expensive , so i'm thinking maybe a keyboard

If you want to play piano then at least get a keyboard with a weighted action. The cheapest is the Williams Allegro at $300, though Musicians Friend periodically has 15% off coupons (and Guitar Center just had it on sale for $200). Or look for something used, you might come across a good deal on something like a Yamaha P85/P95 of a Casio CDP-100 or PX-anything.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
                View Post

If you look around, you can get a good piano for FREE. Check Craigslist. They are on there all the time. I got my piano for free because they were tired of having it tuned every year.

That's the problem, they're not really free. They will cost money to move and to keep tuned. But I agree, if that's not prohibitive for someone, and they live somewhere where they can play it without disturbing people, that's best!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
                  View Post

A good beginner's instrument is one that inspires you to play a lot. If you're going to do it, invest in it. The worst thing a beginning guitar player can do is buy a cheap guitar because they suck and make things much harder than they need to be. A beginning keyboard will have crappy sounds, horrible action, cheap feel, etc. and will NOT be inspiring.

Do you want to play a piano? GET A PIANO.

-Mc

this

unless you have friends with moving experience and a truck, moving it will blow your budget and then it will need to be tuned

but you'll have a REAL piano
                  Hi Mom!

Comment

Meh, I detect a whiff of eau du trollogne about this one. Usually you see these kind of questions coming from newcomers, not guys with 11 thousand posts on HC.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Some Ramblings from Mr. Gueguen<br />
                    <a href="http://timgueguen.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://timgueguen.blogspot.com</a><br />
                    <br />
                    Saskatoon At 7 Megapixels<br />
                    <a href="http://saskatoonseven.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://saskatoonseven.blogspot.com</a><br />
                    <br />
                    A Magpie Moment.<br />
                    <br />
                    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBVa9D0-J4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBVa9D0-J4</a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir1
                      View Post

i would like to learn to play piano

According to your post here...

....you already play piano.

Comment

• branig
                        branig commented
                        Editing a comment

With the exception of the first couple of replies, most of these answers are utterly unhelpful or seem to be written by a-holes (incl. the one I'm replying to). It's pathetic.

Ghostpaw,

You rawk.

<b>Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):</b><br><br><blockquote><hr>Footfall wrote:<br><p>What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally &quot;overpacking&quot; this product.</p><br><hr></blockquote><br><font size="1"><i><b>Current Korg Gear:</b> KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2</i></font>

Comment

Gear: Alchemy - Yamaha Mox6 - Roland Gaia - Plugiator - GSI Burn

Comment

Roland Stagepiano with a music stand, is cheap and good for learning to play the piano.

Or a controller with weighted keys and piano software instrument.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Rob</div>

Comment

Its totally unrealistic to think you'll get a decent keyboard for $100 to $200. At the very least save up a few hundred and try various new and used rompler keyboards in the $400-$600 range. As another said, its dumb for a beggining guitar player to get cheap guitar, same goes for keyboards.
                            Life for its own carnal pleasure.<br><br>Synths: Novation KS4 &amp; Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem &amp; Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

Working...
                            X