Lets get this out of the way - SK1 vs Electro 4D

• Members

Right, it's not even in production yet. The only people who have played one are the people who attended the show. But someone who has played an SK1 might have played one there.

Really, though, the only question is about the sound of the new improved C2D organ engine. Other than that, you can tell all the differences on paper, and based on experience with previous models.

The Nord is stronger on "extra voices" from its sample library (wider range, and high quality), the ability to load your own samples, and better pianos. The Hammond is stronger on being able to split and layer. The sound of the organ and the feel of the keys will remain subjective calls.

• Members

I've owned an Electro 3. Like AnotherScott says, unless Nord failed to mention some amazing new feature the 4D is just an Electro 3 with some minor upgrades and drawbars. (On that topic, some people on the Nord Forums are lamenting the death of draw buttons. From a preset point of view buttons and LED's are an advantage over drawbars.)

For me, if the extra sounds are playable on the SK1 then it wins simply because it can do splits.

• Members

Or buy the Kurzweil PC 361 at the rediculous price of $999 or less that they are selling for now.

I was all over getting the SK1 til I saw the price of the PC361 and ordered one yesterday. I found mine for $949 shipped.

The PC361 is a great choice, assuming you're okay with its 31 lbs (double the E3 and SK1), and the closeout pricing is a steal. Some people may still prefer the SK1 dedicated drawbar organ ergonomics or the Nord's piano or its ability to load custom samples, but the PC361 is killer. (The organ sounds themselves, as always, are open to debate...)

• Members

The PC361 is a great choice, assuming you're okay with its 31 lbs (double the E3 and SK1), and the closeout pricing is a steal. Some people may still prefer the SK1 dedicated drawbar organ ergonomics or the Nord's piano or its ability to load custom samples, but the PC361 is killer. (The organ sounds themselves, as always, are open to debate...)

The newest version of KB3 is supposed to be killer and Kurzweil has announced that they will still be updating the PC361 for another 2 years. For the over $1000 bucks I'll save I just bought a NIB iPad 2 for $350 and still have dough left over. I'll live with the 31 lbs.

The thing about the SK1 is it is all about the organ. The extra sounds are good, but I just felt I got more bang for my buck with the PC361 as its organ is no slouch. and the extras sounds will probably stomp the SK1.

• Members

The newest version of KB3 is supposed to be killer and Kurzweil has announced that they will still be updating the PC361 for another 2 years. For the over $1000 bucks I'll save I just bought a NIB iPad 2 for $350 and still have dough left over. I'll live with the 31 lbs.

{censored} yes. I just bought a PC3 a few days ago after owning a PC3x for a couple of years... The leslie has improved so freaking much, I'd actually prefer the hammond sounds in the PC3 to those in the Electro 3. And that's coming from a serious Nord fanboy.

• Members
{censored} yes. I just bought a PC3 a few days ago after owning a PC3x for a couple of years... The leslie has improved so freaking much, I'd actually prefer the hammond sounds in the PC3 to those in the Electro 3. And that's coming from a serious Nord fanboy.

Whoa Nellie. The KB3 and leslie simulation are good but don

• Members

Indeed. The Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion aren't the greatest in the KB3, but it does compare to the SK1 and Electro series. And it competes very well. Besides, for that ridiculously low price, and with that amazing soundset, it'd probably be the better choice for anyone not looking specifically for a clonewheel.

• Members

Have you heard the latest version of KB3? It has greatly improved.

If you'd read my signature or viewed my avatar you'd already know that I own the keyboard and I'm running the latest operating system. It's a great keyboard which is why I bought it but you can't compare the KB3 and internal leslie to the SK1's. The C/V also is not up to par. The organ competes better with the Nord E3 though than it does with the SK1. But since the topic is in regard to E4 which has the next generation organ/leslie (the C2's) then it falls short.

You guys need to stay on topic. The topic is E4 vs. SK1. Then the PC3 entered the topic. Now you're talking value for your dollar.

• Members

Ok, here's the scoop. I own the Hammond SK2, it rocks. Well, to be precise, it rocks when I play it. I have played for 40 years, and I have played many pianos, B3's, Rhodes, Wurlis, and Clavinets.

The SK2's Extra voices are not as "authentic" as some other instruments I own, such as the Korg SV-1. And probably not as authentic as the Nords - I don't know because I don't like Nords and don't play them. If you need authentic sounds you should skip the Nords and just go get the real things. Or buy a Korg SV-1 - I like mine and it does the job very well.

The reason I own the SK2 is because I like showing up at a gig with a genuine Hammond organ that can also play other quality sounds at the same time, piano on the lower manual with organ on the upper for instance, allowing me to switch between the two rapidly for lead lines. Then switch back to traditional dual manual B3. Nothing else can do that.

My point; people on stage and on in the audience don't come up to me and say "wow that SK2 has a great Wurli"... they say, "wow, you really know how to play that thing...". If any particular keyboard or group of keyboards does that for you, buy them.

• Members

Or buy the Kurzweil PC 361 at the rediculous price of $999 or less that they are selling for now.

I was all over getting the SK1 til I saw the price of the PC361 and ordered one yesterday. I found mine for $949 shipped.

Holy moley, I didn't realize places were blowing them out like that :eek: Just ordered one, thanks for the tip!

• Members

I received my PC361 yesterday and since the OP was wondering about the extra sounds on the SK1 and Nord, I'll go ahead and give my $.02 on the PC361 since I threw it in the mix.

As already stated the organ is pretty good, very Hammond like. So much so that it makes me want a Hammond (if that makes any sense). As far as the other utility sounds I don't care for the PC361 at all. Pianos, EP's, Clavs, all a big disappointment. I also have the new Casio XW-P1 and it does just as well if not slightly better in this department than the PC361. If the extra sounds you want are strings, voices, pads, orchestral, synth, the PC361 is da bomb!!

Right now I'm considering sending the PC361 back and getting a SK1 or possibly a SK2.

The SK1 is what I wanted all along to compliment my SV-1, but with the SV-1 as my main axe I have a hard time spending more money on what will be my secondary instrument, hence getting sidetracked with the XW-P1 and now the PC361. Should have just bought the SK1 to begin with.

I'll be keeping the XW-P1 though, it's pretty cool. Especially for only $500!!

• Members

Pianos, EP's, Clavs, all a big disappointment. I also have the new Casio XW-P1 and it does just as well if not slightly better in this department than the PC361.

I'm surprised to hear that. I think Kurzweil's EPs are some of the best around. (Their pianos are no longer state of the art, though I still like them better than Casio's.)

• Members

I don't care for the PC361 at all. Pianos, EP's, Clavs, all a big disappointment.

Hearing is believing:

a real Rhodes: to be used as a point of reference (start at the 3:40 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7GiRvvqDqM

the PC3's Rhodes, same band, same song, different player (start at the :50 mark):

So if you still think the EP's are a big disappointment then, you are right, you probably should stick with the Casio .....

• Members

I'm surprised to hear that. I think Kurzweil's EPs are some of the best around. (Their pianos are no longer state of the art, though I still like them better than Casio's.)

Compared to my SV-1 the EP's sound very lame. The pianos are not bad and overall better than the Casio XW-P1, but the Casio does have one patch that sounds more authentic. If the PC361 had better Clavs I would probably keep it. I was really only wanting it to cover the weak link in my SV-1 which is organ and clav, but the clavs are just too bad to even consider.

• Members

Thanks for the links, but I have my SV-1 to cover the Rhodes and the PC361 is no comparison. Not saying it's a bad board for it's great in many ways and would keep it if i could afford everything, just not for what I need it for. The only reason I'm keeping the XW-P1 is because of it's synth capabilities for only $500(I actually paid less). It's not strong either in the EP or clav area.

Just to add, I'm a little on the fence about sending it back. I kinda have a thing about good deals and I've been on a roll buying keyboards lately. I only paid $1769 for my SV-1 shipped not including the $500 rebate(which came it the mail yesterday). Then I only paid about $400 for the XW-P1 and now $949 for the PC361. I may just hold on to it and wait for the great deal on the SK1 to come along and then call it a day. That should cover me to my grave with keyboards.

Archived