Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets get this out of the way - SK1 vs Electro 4D

Nord obviously added the drawbars to compete with the SK1. I wasn

The Electro 4D was just released at the Messe show. I doubt anyone here has had a chance to play one or do any comparison.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Too many keyboards, not enough music.</div>

Comment

Right, it's not even in production yet. The only people who have played one are the people who attended the show. But someone who has played an SK1 might have played one there.

Really, though, the only question is about the sound of the new improved C2D organ engine. Other than that, you can tell all the differences on paper, and based on experience with previous models.

The Nord is stronger on "extra voices" from its sample library (wider range, and high quality), the ability to load your own samples, and better pianos. The Hammond is stronger on being able to split and layer. The sound of the organ and the feel of the keys will remain subjective calls.

Comment

I've owned an Electro 3. Like AnotherScott says, unless Nord failed to mention some amazing new feature the 4D is just an Electro 3 with some minor upgrades and drawbars. (On that topic, some people on the Nord Forums are lamenting the death of draw buttons. From a preset point of view buttons and LED's are an advantage over drawbars.)

For me, if the extra sounds are playable on the SK1 then it wins simply because it can do splits.

Comment

Or buy the Kurzweil PC 361 at the rediculous price of $999 or less that they are selling for now.
          I was all over getting the SK1 til I saw the price of the PC361 and ordered one yesterday. I found mine for $949 shipped.

Comment

Or buy the Kurzweil PC 361 at the rediculous price of $999 or less that they are selling for now.
            I was all over getting the SK1 til I saw the price of the PC361 and ordered one yesterday. I found mine for $949 shipped.

The PC361 is a great choice, assuming you're okay with its 31 lbs (double the E3 and SK1), and the closeout pricing is a steal. Some people may still prefer the SK1 dedicated drawbar organ ergonomics or the Nord's piano or its ability to load custom samples, but the PC361 is killer. (The organ sounds themselves, as always, are open to debate...)

Comment

The PC361 is a great choice, assuming you're okay with its 31 lbs (double the E3 and SK1), and the closeout pricing is a steal. Some people may still prefer the SK1 dedicated drawbar organ ergonomics or the Nord's piano or its ability to load custom samples, but the PC361 is killer. (The organ sounds themselves, as always, are open to debate...)

The newest version of KB3 is supposed to be killer and Kurzweil has announced that they will still be updating the PC361 for another 2 years. For the over $1000 bucks I'll save I just bought a NIB iPad 2 for $350 and still have dough left over. I'll live with the 31 lbs.

The thing about the SK1 is it is all about the organ. The extra sounds are good, but I just felt I got more bang for my buck with the PC361 as its organ is no slouch. and the extras sounds will probably stomp the SK1.

Comment

I just bought a NIB iPad 2 for $350

I prefer Apple iPads--those NIBs aren't made as well.

:lol:
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Too many keyboards, not enough music.</div>

Comment

I prefer Apple iPads--those NIBs aren't made as well.

:lol:

I can't tell the difference.:lol:

Comment

The newest version of KB3 is supposed to be killer and Kurzweil has announced that they will still be updating the PC361 for another 2 years. For the over $1000 bucks I'll save I just bought a NIB iPad 2 for $350 and still have dough left over. I'll live with the 31 lbs.

**************** yes. I just bought a PC3 a few days ago after owning a PC3x for a couple of years... The leslie has improved so freaking much, I'd actually prefer the hammond sounds in the PC3 to those in the Electro 3. And that's coming from a serious Nord fanboy.

Comment

[FONT=Tahoma]
                      **************** yes. I just bought a PC3 a few days ago after owning a PC3x for a couple of years... The leslie has improved so freaking much, I'd actually prefer the hammond sounds in the PC3 to those in the Electro 3. And that's coming from a serious Nord fanboy.
                      [SIZE=3]Whoa Nellie. The KB3 and leslie simulation are good but don
                      '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond Porta-B; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

Comment

Have you heard the latest version of KB3? It has greatly improved.

Comment

Indeed. The Chorus/Vibrato and Percussion aren't the greatest in the KB3, but it does compare to the SK1 and Electro series. And it competes very well. Besides, for that ridiculously low price, and with that amazing soundset, it'd probably be the better choice for anyone not looking specifically for a clonewheel.

Comment

Comment

Have you heard the latest version of KB3? It has greatly improved.
                              If you'd read my signature or viewed my avatar you'd already know that I own the keyboard and I'm running the latest operating system. It's a great keyboard which is why I bought it but you can't compare the KB3 and internal leslie to the SK1's. The C/V also is not up to par. The organ competes better with the Nord E3 though than it does with the SK1. But since the topic is in regard to E4 which has the next generation organ/leslie (the C2's) then it falls short.

You guys need to stay on topic. The topic is E4 vs. SK1. Then the PC3 entered the topic. Now you're talking value for your dollar.
                              '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond Porta-B; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

Comment

Working...
                              X