NAMM2013: DSI Presents the Prophet 12

k2500x

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This will kill any competition, no matter digital/analog configuration on Prophet 12. I *was* gassing for the elektron analog 4 but over last week the more I learned of it's inherent limitations and released not quite finished, that GAS faded a few days ago before viewing a few videos on DSI Prophet 12, but of course will want to see the full specs before locking my GAS onto it but will say I am officially saving THAT amount projected for MAP of Prophet 12 for my one and only major purchase in 2013.  I ALSO have been so far until now, PATIENTLY waiting for Waldorf Pulse 2, of which has had it's release repeatedly pushed back and have no idea if Waldorf presented it at NAMM as information on NAMM is just now trickling out. Since I already own TWO DSI Mono Evolver Keyboards with a Desktop Evolver polychained to each; THAT really fills position of an analog duophonic synth with push of two switches on one of my MEK's, so as it stands now, it seems the Prophet 12 would be PERFECT for the ambient/experimental IDM-ish stuff am working on and would finally sell my Alesis Ion and Alesis Fusion, and Korg Radias Kbd, which embarassingly have been kept in a closet and between three of them I know can raise 1500 bucks on evilbay, as I am not about to part with either my Virus B and C Keyboards, nor Waldorf Blofeld Black Keyboard, and my rack full of Microwave XT, Q, and Supernova are staying put. I have a place in the bottom tier for the Prophet 12--just need to know more and my GAS for Prophet 12 has made me not care what else was released at NAMM in this admitedly still-dire economy. Dave will sell ALOT of these and can only imagine since the DSI MEK was officially discontinued June, 2012, a small company like DSI that wishes to remain so, I forsee the DSI PEK perhaps being retired, but that's only speculation but DO know they are now built to-order to save from huge overhead costs.

Damn you DAVE, you DID IT AGAIN!!! GASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Members

I really like this hybrid approach. I also don't think DSI synths look unpolished at all. They look more utilitarian and like less was spent to make a fancy look.

It is funny that just a few days before this was announced, I was chatting with one of the other local synth dudes about how it is the analog filter that matters in many (though not all in my opinion) cases. Also the modular synth world ventured into hybrid with digital oscillators quite a long time ago.

I will probably buy the Prophet 12, though not right away. I have no place to put it atm.

• Members

im glad to see that DSI has taken the PEK to the max, really impressive set of features. i cant wait to play one, but i dont feel that i would realistically use half of what the synth has on offer. felt that way about andromeda too. cant wait to hear this thing more though!

• Members

I love it. I wonder if they are using shark processors for the OSC's.?.? I also wonder how much room it has for new features/expand ability... Like if they could (via software updates) offer things like user sample upload with granular or additive synthesis type engines. But as is I think it sounds great!

• Members

The Poly Evolver has an MSRP of $3049 and retails for $2749. Applying a similar discount to the P'12 would give a retail of $2700. Applying a 15 percent off sale at MF gives $2300. The retail number for the P'12 is conjecture.

• Members

I wonder what happened to the sequencer. It was one of their hottest features for me, and its really shame, if they leave it behind, unless of course, its meaningful penny pinching measure. I thought, that it was made with cpu and would be practically "free" as it also shared knobs with other components. 

Archived