Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new King Korg

Yum yum ?

Published by "mistake" by www.korg.de and... deleted.

But found here ( in french ):

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-modelisation/korg/kingkorg/news/a.play,n.20971.html

XMT synthesis, 61 keys, polyphony 24 voices, 3 Osc, vocoder, cv Gate Out, Mic in XLR, USB B, OLED screen...  

korg-kingkorg-535507.jpg

Attached Files

What's with the beer intake port on the upper left?

<div class="signaturecontainer">My VCAs go to<b> 11</b></div>

Comment

• Oncle Bob
      Oncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment

From here: http://en.audiofanzine.com/analog-modeling-synth/korg/kingkorg/news/a.play,n.15054.html

As part as their 50th anniversary, Korg will launch the KingKORG analog modeling synthesizer equipped with practical controls for the sound design. Here are the full specifications:

• eXpanded Modeling Technology synthesis system
      • 61 semi-weighted keys with velocity
      • 24 voice polyphony
      • 300 Programs (200 presets / 100 users), 8 categories
      • Max timbre: 2 (Layer / Split)
      • 3 oscillators (selectable types: analog, noise, DWGS, PCM and MIC IN)
      • 127 types in total (analog & Noise: 64 + DWGS: 30 + PCM: 50 + MIC IN)
      • 1 Filter (LPF, HPF, BPF)
      • 18 filter types (LPF: 7 + HPF: 5 + BPF: 6 / Included modeling filter)
      • Modulation : EC: 2 units, LFO: 2 units, AMP
      • Virtual Patch per timbre: 6 sets
      • 3 Program effects (PRE FX, MOD FX, REV / DELAY) + 2-band EQ (2-band) + stereo TUBE
      • PRE FX: 6 types (DISTORTION, DECIMATOR, RING MOD, GT AMP, AMP EP, TONE)
      • MOD FX: 6 types (FLANGER, CHORUS, U-Vibe, Tremolo, Phaser, Rotary)
      • REV / DELAY: 6 types (HALL, ROOM, PLATE, TAPE ECHO, MOD DELAY, DELAY BPM)
      • 16-band vocoder with Formant Shift and Formant Hold
      • Arpeggiator with up to 8 steps (step number can be changed), 6 types (UP/DOWN/ALT1/ALT2/RANDOM/TRIGGER)
      • Joystick, octave up / down buttons, Category / Favorite button
      • 16 x 2 character OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode)
      • 128 x 64 pixel OLED subdisplays oscillator and filter sections
      • Mic In | Connector Type XLR-3-31 (balanced)
      • Audio Output L / MONO, R, TS phone jack (unbalanced)
      • 3, 5 mm stereo mini-jack headphone out
      • DAMPER PEDAL jack (no "half-damper" support), SWITCH / PEDAL jack
      • CV / GATE OUT jack
      • MIDI In and Out
      • USB Type B
      • Dimensions (W x D x H): 1027

• shambler
      shambler commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a valve behind the beer intake port.

• MuzikB
      MuzikB commented
      Editing a comment

Meatball Fulton wrote:

What's with the beer intake port on the upper left?

It's where the tubes are.  

Looks kawai-ish. Nice
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"></font></div>

Comment

• Bernard
      Bernard commented
      Editing a comment

Hey guyz, this synth... its news to me.. tell me more...

Sounds good. Value about 500$. Your cost, as close to 2000$ as they can get?

That guy working the knob reminds me that perf synths need redundant left right controls.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">
    <div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

no aftertouch apparently, so my prediction is mrsp $1499

Comment

• bobbybee
        bobbybee commented
        Editing a comment

zzzxtreme wrote:
        no aftertouch apparently, so my prediction is mrsp $1499

Street price is $1299.

King Korg is a 24-voice virtual analog synth with three oscillators per voice.

Comment

Wait for in-depth review , then we'll see if its worth it for the money.

Comment

• mildbill
          mildbill commented
          Editing a comment

zzzxtreme wrote:
          Wait for in-depth review , then we'll see if its worth it for the money.

The specs are in post #3.  The only other things I'd like to know, I can get from the midi implementation chart in the manual when it's available.

$1300 for no aftertouch, the specs only on paper. Need to know more about quality of the audio output, body construction, etc....

Comment

• mildbill
          mildbill commented
          Editing a comment

zzzxtreme wrote:
          $1300 for no aftertouch, the specs only on paper. Need to know more about quality of the audio output, body construction, etc....

LOL - you're not getting sidetracked from the MX-49, are you?

Really curious mildbill. I gonna get involved in a 'classic metal' band, which requires a synth, rather than a rompler. And $1300 is no small amount

Comment

• mildbill
          mildbill commented
          Editing a comment

Was just wondering, because you seemed pretty excited about the MX-49.  You could pick up one of those and an inexpensive VA for about the same price as King Korg, or less.

But ya - check out King Korg for sure.  It might be exactly what you need.

• 1001gear
          1001gear commented
          Editing a comment

zzzxtreme wrote:
          Really curious mildbill. I gonna get involved in a 'classic metal' band, which requires a synth, rather than a rompler. And $1300 is no small amount

I looked up Classic Metal and this came to the top.

This can't be right (?)

Mildbill, excited about mx49? Nah, but its the only rompler available in 49key or less. (for my current band)

Comment

• RichF
          RichF commented
          Editing a comment

Hi folks,

KingKORG doesn't have aftertouch, but it does have another interesting feature: The keys can trigger at three different points in their travel, via a parameter called "Key Response". You can set it to Shallow, Normal, or Deep to mimic the key throw of various instruments (clav, organ, various synths).

Hope this helps,

-Rich

Rich,
        Can you split the keyboard with synth sound only, or can you combine piano/synth strings, piano/organ?
        Is/will there be an editor?
        How easy is it to import/export user sounds?

Comment

• George321
          George321 commented
          Editing a comment

King Korg it has 200 preset sounds, so you can split the keyboard choosing from this sounds. Also you can assign arpeggio function on your left hand (lower notes) and at the same time to play another sound with your right hand.

i want the **************** out of this thing after playing it at NAMM.

two words: PAD CITY.

i think it could have been better (i have no problem being critical of anything), but as a playing-oriented VA for 1300, i think it's pretty cool.

sure it's not a Virus TI. the 61-key Virus TI is also 2.4 times as expensive as this thing.

it's definitely capable of replacing (and bettering) the JP-8000 in my live rig, which for me is all it has to do to get me excited.

<div class="signaturecontainer">main: <a href="http://suitandtieguy.com" target="_blank">http://suitandtieguy.com</a><br />
        Lawrence Miles style rants: <a href="http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com" target="_blank">http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com</a><br />
        handbuilt boutique synthesiser modules: <a href="http://stgsoundlabs.com" target="_blank">http://stgsoundlabs.com</a><br />
        my digital albums: <a href="http://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com</a></div>

Comment

korg ppg wave mini?

Comment

I play in a busy classic rock covers band here in the UK and was quite interested in the King Korg because it combined analog-style synthesis with some PCM piano samples. Sounds odd, but I shall explain.

For about 80% of my set I play my Hammond XK1, with an old analog phaser and a ring modulator for extra filth. For the rest I have my do-anything, go-anywhere Korg TR61. This does great piano, great strings, great pads, and even some decent lead synth sounds, which are almost but not quite the Real Deal for a band that plays 60s and 70s music. The King Korg looked interesting, and, because it does piano as well as synth, it would be a direct replacement for my TR61 rather than an additional keyboard. Two keyboards in a rig, I like. But three is a schlep.

Well, today I took a day off and went to try the King Korg for myself. I was impressed, but not impressed enough to buy one.

The piano sounds are great. Great EPs and clavs, too. Nice Hammond organs, which come alive with the distortion and ringmod.

The synths very flexible, dynamic and easily editable. It's great to experiment with M**g-, OB and P*****-style filters. Some of the synths are really big and punchy and analogue-y, with big reassuring knobs for filter, resonance, amp amount, ADSR and all the usual.

Some of the sounds I've heard before, too many times, on the MS2000 and such, but on the King Korg you can edit them beyond recognition within seconds.

But there were limitations.

It's only bitimbral. You can have two sounds, which you can split or layer. And that's it. I'm used to having splits AND layers - I think having the 16-sounds-at-once TR (and the generations of Korg workstations before that back to my first M1 in 1988) has spoiled me. I didn't see any facility for velocity-splits (big turn-off) though I believe that this is possible to arrange (see Steve Formidoni's post above). There is no pressure sensitivity - more of a turn-off than I imagined - I'm just so used to digging in with my TR61.

The control surface looks like it's derived from the SV1 stage piano, in that on the left there is a valve (great distortion, but looks like a great dust/beer magnet) and three independent FX banks with six fx in each bank - one bank for tone and sound shaping (including a ringmod - my favourite effect); a second for modulation (chorus, phaser, flanger, univibe, rotary); and a third for reverb/delay (including a lovely tape delay, but why no spring reverb?).

The synth section is on the right. Which is a pain, as all the knobs you want to twiddle most - cutoff, resonance etc - are over to the right, rather than on the left, where they would be easier to get at. On my TR there are 4 assignable knobs which are conventionally cutoff, resonance, something I can't remember and envelope release - but they are on the LEFT and easily reachable without obscuring what you are doing with the right hand. In my view, the synth section should have been on the left, the effects on the right.

So, on the plus side - easily tweakable, handy, accessible analogue-style sounds, together with good piano, clav and organ sounds.

On the minus side - only bitimbral, and the front-panel layout seems poor.

So for now I think I shall stick with my dear old TR61.

I guess that if I were going to get the functionality of a TR61 with sounds that are closer to analog I'll have to save up for a Kronos .... which, with its extensive recording and sampling capability is very much more than I need for a gig axe.

Comment

• AnotherScott
            AnotherScott commented
            Editing a comment

cromercrox wrote:

So for now I think I shall stick with my dear old TR61.

The TR is a rompler/workstation with some synth functionality. The KK is a VA synth with some rompler functionality.

The current version of the TR isn't the KK, it's the Krome (and the M50 completes the lineage in between). 

The TR does have some nice advantages over the M50/Krome... aftertouch, sample RAM, assignable outs. So despite the new sounds and nice screens, "upgrading" from a TR to one of its replacements is not a no-brainer, there are real trade-offs.

But sonically and operationally, the KK is a whole different animal, that could complement any of them, but not nearly replace them in functionality. If the TR begat the M50 and then the Krome, I would say the KK lineage would be from the Radias, and before that, the MS-2000. And just like the workstation progression, there are many advantages to the newest generation, but also a few trade-offs. 

cromercrox wrote:

On the minus side - only bitimbral

Most VA synths are only monotimbral or bitimbral, I don't see that as a limitation, it's not a workstation. With its performance orientation and only 24 notes of polyphony, this isn't the place to go for 16 voice sequences. It's kind of like complaining that a hammer isn't a screwdriver.

Working...
        X