Do you think Roland should release new Analog gear instead so many VAs?

Reptilian

• Members

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think Korg made a successful strategy releasing the MS20 mini and this demostrated that the market is asking for analog gear, maybe there are too many VAs out there.

What do you think about a modern release of the Juno 60 or at least the 106?, they sounded fantastic. I would really like to have an analog poly like these, but I am afraid of the old models, because they require a lot of maintenance.

Whats your opinion?

• Members

Reptilian wrote:

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think Korg made a successful strategy releasing the MS20 mini and this demostrated that the market is asking for analog gear, maybe there are too many VAs out there.

What do you think about a modern release of the Juno 60 or at least the 106?, they sounded fantastic. I would really like to have an analog poly like these, but I am afraid of the old models, because they require a lot of maintenance.

Whats your opinion?

Roland has made it very clear that it's future is digital.

Roland has had at least one senior chap step down due to the financial issues they are having. It is unclear if this will have any impact on their technical direction to sound generation

Until we see evidence of them suggesting they would consider analog circuitry again (such as an updated mission statement), then I would not hold my breath.

Some IC's are out of production and that has also been much talked about meaning some synths will never be easy to reissue.

Korg's MS 20 is quite old so the basic circuits are easier to replicate. If Roland wanted to compete they would also need to look to their older synths to keep circuits basic and repeatable.

Not suggesting it is impossible but some of their classics may be harder to repeat and it just does not seem they have any interest.

• Members

I don't think it's a good idea.  Most everything Roland makes is overpriced, and Korg is currently doing a good job of starting to introduce people to the less expensive analog end of things.

Of course, Roland could make some kind of analog monster that a couple people would buy.  Might be fun just for grins.

• Members

Its tough for a company to move forward when all they do is keep looking backwards. The future IS digital and will continue to move that way. I miss the days of the Juno-106 and Jupiter-8 too. But its not coming back, and complaining about it won't magically bring it back either. I'm one of many who own current Roland products such as the Gaia and Jupiter 50. I see the merits in the newer technology and honestly get more than what I need out of these products. If they released a Juno-106 tomorrow I'd have trouble NOT buying it, but switching to an analogue way of doing business in the future is just wishful thinking.

• Members

I want it but I want a new 101 rather than a polysynth. JX-8P does enough analog poly duties for me plus Alpha Junos are still cheap and 106 (and even 60) are still attainable.

That said I doubt they'll do it. I'm not sure they'll make any more VAs and I don't think Roland has ever made as many VAs as Korg - and even back in the day, Korg got the x0x thing somewhat right with the Electribes while Roland faffed about with the MC-303 and 505. (Granted the 505 was decent) Korg just gets it. Plus the MS-20 filter is dead easy to replicate and I am not sure about the Rolands.

• Members

An updated analog Jupiter 8 would sell very well -- not that Roland would ever release one.  They could even price it above Dave Smith's Prophet 08, and it would STILL sell well.  The price of analog components isn't even an issue anymore.  Even if Roland released a 6 or 4 voice analog, it would sell well if it could replicate original Juno and Jupiter type sounds. 

• Members

No, I think they should stick with what they are doing.

I'm not all that impressed with Korg's new analogs, after all they are just low-cost/low-end machines. Even the original MS20 was an entry-level synth.

Roland has never shown much interest in sub $500 instruments of any kind and that is where Korg is targeting. 

• Members

Funny that people keep saying the future is digital.  Digital tunnel vision is what Roland has.

A company like arturia that STARTS as a digital company, makes a cheap analog synth and the thing sells like hot cakes.  I have one and I like it better than my friends sh-101.

There's absolutly NO REASON Roland couldn't have beat Arturia to the punch on this, and made bank with an updated sh-101 for $500.  Instead they come out with the Gaia Sh-01, which is a complete **** joke, AND COST MORE than the minibrute. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree, that the future cannot loop back on the past. We must move forward. What I do wish, is that if we are going digital, then make them sound better. There are times, when I do want a super edgy sound, but also times, when I want the warmth that was accomplished via analog. To date, I have yet to hear any digital synth really duplicate the range, power, and fullness of an analogue. I'm not convinced that it cannot be done. I believe that it can, it just has yet to be done. The closest I have heard, is the Solaris.

Archived