Kawai Z1000

• Members

Ok, due to some urge to have a real vintage sync. I just purchased a New/Old stock Kawai Z1000 off Ebay for $400.00 plus shipping. What have I done? Good thing? Bad thing? I ALWAYS search anything I buy from Ebay with the web. I watch YouTube vids on the vids that are there. However, according to some folks out there, this syn did not sell well, but everybody that has one, seems to really like them. And, they were expensive new. So , does anyone here know anything about this board? Pros and Cons. Just a note, I did like the specs, and what little I did find out, it seemed to fit what I was looking for. Thanks.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

You are clearly uninformed. The Z-1000 was a dream concept of a friend of mine who worked at Kawai in the manufacturing department "joe Despres", now deceased.  Joe was a professional keyboard player.  He wanted a keyboard he could convert to any other keyboard by altering the unit to take the maintainence disc of other pro-line keyboards such as Korg M-1.  That is what the Z-1000 does.  You insert the service disc it removes all existing data then you add the maintanence disc and download the other keyboard such as Korg, Soltron, Yamaha PSR and so on. It does this on a limited amount of keyboards but with enough sufficiency to give you an entire Soltron, or M1 if that is what you put in.  It is quite amazing and I bet you have to use two or three keyboards a gig when the Z can copy them all within seconds because for starters, there are 6 keyboards on already downloaded into the service disk which takes only seconds to switch over.

• Members

Contact Kawai digital keyboard division and get the service disc for the Z-1000  with the pro-pack that allows you to play along with the stars and use the style convert to change the Z to your favorite keyboard at will.

• Members

I've been a big fan of Kawai synths over the years and have owned a number of them, especially the K series (K1, K4, K5000, etc) However I wasn't familiar with the Z1000. After checking it out online I have an idea of what it is. I don't know that I would call it a "real vintage synth" but it looks like its got a ton of features and it seems like you got a good price, considering what they were going for originally. Hope you enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I've enjoyed this thread.

What do we know?

1. The Z1000 is an arranger that can load the patches of Korg M1's and some other synths.(???)

2. They sell for somewhere between $200 and $4,000 USD.

I'm looking forward to learning more about it. Here is a spec page. http://www.kawaius.com/z1000s.htm

Here is a new one for $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawai-Z1000-61-key-Keyboard-with-Velocity-Sensitive-keys-NEW-IN-BOX-/300927245747

• 1 year later...

Archived