Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Okay, so I finally stopped talking about it and actually bought a VAX77

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so I finally stopped talking about it and actually bought a VAX77

Just placed an order for this:

One can choose from red or black (chose black) and standard or heavy weight (chose heavy, because it's still lightning fast).

The website says it'll take 12 days to make, and ship shortly thereafter. More pics to come...

Oh, and because I don't want to start a second thread, Massive Attack was AMAZING last night. Can't believe it took this long to see them.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Gribs<br />
    <font size="3"><br />
    <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
    </i><br />
    G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).</font></font></div>

Comment

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of the VAX77. I've been saving for one, and when/if I go for it it'll be sight unseen. So, more input the better.

Comment

Lol! That's what I thought too from reading the title.

...I should have known better as Infinite Response was right next to us for the last two NAMMs.

BTW AW - let me know how you like it in practice. For me their "heavy" action was still far too light.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Best Regards, James<br />
        --<br />
        <b>I have cast fire upon the world and I am guarding it until it blazes.</b><br />
        <br />
        My Newest CD &quot;Stealing The Sun&quot;: <a href="http://carbon111.bandcamp.com/" target="_blank">http://carbon111.bandcamp.com/</a><br />
        <br />
        Carbon111 Website: <a href="http://www.carbon111.com" target="_blank">http://www.carbon111.com</a><br />
        <br />
        Carbon111 Blog: <a href="http://carbon111.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://carbon111.blogspot.com</a></div>

Comment

Lol! That's what I thought too from reading the title.

NEEEERRRRRRRRRDDSSSSSS!!!

Yeah AW, do keep us informed on your new compu-- I mean keyboard, I'm curious.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

For me their "heavy" action was still far too light.
            Yeah, it's certainly not a true piano-type action, but it appeared to offer the closest blend of usable piano performing and fast synth runs/drum programming.

Actually, every digital piano I've played sucks for fast synth runs/drum programming, and every unweighted synth sucks for piano. The VAX77 seems to get you 70% of the way to perfect for both

Comment

Not to sound dumb but what is it? Never heard of it.

It needs some knobs. Who builds a controller these days without knobs? Looks like the sliders on the screen would be to small for any real-time manipulation.

They keybed sounds great but still why miss some important features like knobs? And it just seems kinda amateurish looking.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Every man makes a mountain of his life and master plan...<br />
              <br />
              Why do you persist Mr. Anderson?<br />
              <br />
              We used to joke that Chaz's pec's were rock hard and could deflect bullets, I guess not...</div>

Comment

Not to sound dumb but what is it? Never heard of it.

It needs some knobs. Who builds a controller these days without knobs? Looks like the sliders on the screen would be to small for any real-time manipulation.

They keybed sounds great but still why miss some important features like knobs? And it just seems kinda amateurish looking.

Well, it does offer Polyphonic Aftertouch!
                <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bull**************** computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: 'With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes'. This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!&quot; - <b>Vangelis</b></div>

Comment

Well, it does offer Polyphonic Aftertouch!
                  No disrespect to the keybed that's for sure, but no knobs and a rediculous price tag to boot.

For the price I'd expect a large good ribbon controller, a good 12 knobs or so with nord light rings, sysex support(multi-byte even), some velocity sensitive pads, a nice xox set of pads, wooden waterfall keys, motorized faders, and a touch screen that didn't look like it was done by a twelve year old with a crayon. A popcorn maker on the back might help it sell as well.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Every man makes a mountain of his life and master plan...<br />
                  <br />
                  Why do you persist Mr. Anderson?<br />
                  <br />
                  We used to joke that Chaz's pec's were rock hard and could deflect bullets, I guess not...</div>

Comment

Might have something to do with the fold-flat design and trying to bring it to market <$10k ...

I'm very interested in one of these as well ... Need knobs ... ??? Put another controller on top ...

How much are these going for ... ???

Comment

$3k or so?

Comment

No disrespect to the keybed that's for sure, but no knobs and a rediculous price tag to boot.
                        The trick is that people will never agree on what makes a good knobby controller. Even if Infinite Response included a ton of controllers, a bunch of people would find fault in which controllers they included

Comment

If I had the money, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Poly AT is huge, for one; you cannot know pad heaven without it. Plus it's light and compact. I would have to try the keyboard to see if I could adapt to it. I've adapted to the MIDIBOARD keyboard (which is not graded and is really just long wooden sticks whacking the sensors) and prefer it to my upright's.

The lack of knobs wouldn't bother me at all.
                          Hi Mom!

Comment

I really wish they had reduced the cost by not making it fold up. Between the delicate machine precision required to manufacture it to fold out into a seamless keyboard, and the more expensive material the case needs to be made from to support that, this probably represents a good chunk of the production cost.

I'd be interested if they made a non-foldable version at a notably lower cost. They should be able to do that if they jettison the fold up feature, and switch to a light but durable plastic casing.

I agree that knobs and sliders aren't important. There are now many options available for adding those, via a box that sits right atop your keyboard. You can choose drum pads, sliders, ribbons, push buttons (both toggle, and switches), etc. I don't want the keyboard manufacturer to choose those for me, because it's never exactly what I want. I want to add that stuff myself. All I want in a keyboard controller is an action I really like, with aftertouch (channel pressure, anyway), and some pedal inputs. It's nice to have pitch and mod wheels, because those have to be located very, very close to the edge of the keyboard. But all the other stuff can be located upon a separate unit sitting atop the keyboard.

Comment

I've adapted to the MIDIBOARD keyboard (which is not graded and is really just long wooden sticks whacking the sensors) and prefer it to my upright's.

Ha, funny description. And true.

Comment

Working...
                              X