Yamaha CP60M Purchase Opportunity

Nile1946

• Members

I have located a Yamaha CP60M for sale in a charity shop. It was marked $450.00. The manager was trying to get rid of it because he has had it awhile. He offered it to me for $100.00. I countered with $50.00. He is going to contact his boss and get it okeyed. Here are the particulars. Complete with casters, power cord and cover (the hard plastic one with the plastic knobs on it). He told me that it had a problem with the keyboard sagging. He said somebody broke it, kids etc. I felt underneath and there were supports still in the brackets so I believe that is why the keyboard was sagging. I connected the cord and powered it up. The lights came on and all that but it was no louder than before I plugged in the power cord. Can this be played and get the electric piano sound without going through a speaker/amplifier system? When I held up the keyboard, the notes played but softly. Is this a good deal? I live in Florida and was thinking of flipping it but my wife plays so...........

• Members

I have a CP70B (the grand piano version of the CP60) and I bypass the internal electronics and go direct into an amp. The CP60M is MIDI, so I doubt you'd be able to take advantage of those capabilities without power. Otherwise, it's like a giant passive electric guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, you heard how it sounded unplugged; that's the best you get without external powered speakers or headphones.

At $50 or even $100 (assuming the keyboard sag issue can be fixed easily), you can't complain about the price.

A CP70 was my main piano for decades, and I loved it dearly. Today, though, I'd rather find a used Casio CDP-100 or Privia piano for $250 on Craigslist.

Not sure what you can find that'd be in the $100 price range that's worth playing, and the CP pianos are worth playing. They sound "kinda" like a piano, but the tone is very different due to lacking a soundboard, and only 2 strings per note. Some people love the sound, but I'm glad mine is behind me (I donated it to a church).

The grand piano version (CP70) goes for anywhere from $250 to $1000 (and I don't understand anyone paying the high end of that range, but it happens). The grand is preferable because grand piano actions are better than upright, but upright might fit your space better.

The other big downside to the CP pianos is their weight. Back in 1980 when I got mine, it was the best portable piano by miles. It only took two people two trips! Today, a better-sounding piano weighs 25 lbs.  The upright might be more difficult to move since I believe it's one-piece, unlike the grand. Given that, it's hard to say whether you'd get more than $100 for it. It all depends on whether someone in your area has a jones. Probably not, if it's been sitting there unsold -- but possibly unadvertised.

The "M" means it has MIDI, which means you can connect it to a MIDI sound source (another keyboard or sound module, or a computer) and play the piano along with the other sound (or just the other sound). That's a very nice feature for a serious keyboard player, and makes this potentially more valuable. All the uprights had the MIDI, but not may uprights were sold.

If you flip it, be sure to say "VINTAGE electric piano". It definitely qualifies.

Oh, also keep in mind that it'll need to be tuned periodically, say about once every year or two. That's $75 minimum. (Real pianos should be tuned once or twice a year, but in my experience, the CP pianos are more stable.)

Archived