Brand new to synth. Never played piano.

everton99

• Members

Can you play any other instrument? are you musical at all?

What is your goal? Trance, House, Pop, Rock or Classical music?

A good workstation is very good to start with like Roland Fantom S, Fantom X, Yamaha Motif, Korg Triton.

Good luck!

• Members

Also grab a chord chart off the Web or anyplace that has a decent selection of sheet music.  It will show you the fingering (the keys to press) for basic chords and the chords that traditionally go together.  You could have a lot of fun just playing C, G, Am and F chords for a while as you figure things out

• Members

Beginner Piano 1  at any college night school gives amazing results without resorting to childrens' music.

Second semester goes more into counterpoint, harmony, and more difficult pieces to play. At some point, you need a teacher: get one who understands the type of music you like.

I cannot stress enough the importance of timing. If you cannot keep a beat/pulse music is probably not for you. There are way too many players who learn how to work equipment so that it sounds good, and even go to the trouble of learning difficult and impressive leads, only to realize it doesn't quite fit. Make timing your main goal for lessons to get max effect.

Go see local keys players and study what works and what doesn't.......Practice.

There is a key of life, find yours. Good Luck,   Richard

• Members

ramkeys wrote:

I cannot stress enough the importance of timing. If you cannot keep a beat/pulse music is probably not for you. 

This is so true.  Seriously, there are many people who can't do this.  Lots of kids who take up band and orchestra instruments in school figure this out and eventually find other pursuits. 

If you can sing/talk/rap in strict time with existing songs, and easily tap beats with your fingers along with YouTube videos, you're probably okay in this department.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Piano lessons most certainly wouldn't hurt and there are also lots of resources (books, online tutorials, etc.) that could get you going with learning notes, chords, scales, and other music theory principles. Truth of it is there is no quick start but at the same time nothing prevents you from getting on your keyboard and playing the hell out of it whenever you can even if you think it sounds terrible. Soon you'll be able to move your fingers around without having to think about it. Before you know it you'll start putting together your own riffs and start feeling a sense a timming. Then at some point you really need to get yourself something to record with like a computer program.

I am not a trained musician myself, but have evolved a way to play by ear. What I sometimes do is program melodies and beats in my computer program if the parts are particularly complex and then learn how to play them realtime. Sometimes this makes it easier for me to come up with a riff.

Archived