Can you help me diagnose this?

mstreck

• Members

M50 started making strange sounds on certain patches (stock and custom). Effects are off. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

The first is the straight-out-of-the-box "M50 Grand Piano". The noise will become apparent as the piano starts to decay.

Second file is a synth brassy tone. The noise sounds kinda phaser-like, but it's produced differently on different keys.

Third file is supposed to be a soft vocal patch, but note the "hard" attack. It wasn't there before.

The keyboard wasn't making any of these strange sounds at all and then suddenly they were there. Between that time, it never left the stand in the practice room.

• Members

I'd start by ruling out my signal path first. You may have done this already. Do you still hear the sound when you disconnect everything (MIDI, USB, sound cables) from the board other than the power cable then listen through a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone jack?

• Members

Also, have you noticed a change in the level of output volume?  I'm wondering if the board is being triggered to play the note more than once somehow which might create a lot of extra noise and that comb-filter/phaser effect as the similar waves harass one another.

• Members

If you ruled out signal distortion after the keyboard and you didn't create an accidental MIDI loop then I feel for you. It sucks when gear betrays you.

Maybe someone else here has more meaningful help to offer. Unfortunately things are slow lately so you might post in some other forums as well if you haven't already.

Archived