I had asked about using the 11 pin leslie output from my VK-77

WynnD

• Members

With a 760 Leslie. (Got an 825 too.) So being that no one knew if it would work with the Roland, I bought the 1197 Leslie kit. Came yesterday and was used at a gig. I'll need to do some tweaking but all the leslie controls work right from the keyboard and I have the upper manual set up with aftertouch for leslie speed switching. The brake works too. Where it comes up a bit short, is that it's not as loud as it needs to be. And being that I was familiar with how it worked with my Combo Pre-amp II, I know it should go louder without distortion. (Got the 1197 to replace the failing combo pre-amp.) There is a volume adjustment on the 1197, but I'm not sure if I was finding it. Will take it apart later today and photograph the guts. Looks better than other leslie adapters I've seen, but all of those are pretty old. If the guts are interesting, I'll post the photos. If it's a sealed black box, I won't bother.

• Members

Got some more information. First of all, the volume adjustment pot is one of those very small circuit board types and is best adjusted with a 1/2 or 1/4 phillips screwdriver. I've got one of those in my jewelers screwdriver set. (The larger of the two phillips.) It wasn't quite the whole way up and I won't get a chance to test it before tonight's gig, but will be carrying the right tool to make adjustments. Secondly, this unit is built so well, especially when compared with the combo pre-amp II that it's replacing. I've always felt that the combo preamp was built to very low standards. (I will try to fix it, but it's not a very good choice for depending upon without a backup. Really need to build a good quality circuit board.)

• Members

I agree with your comments about the CPA2. They were not made with high-fidelity sound in mind.

There was a discussion about 9 vs. 11 pin Leslies on the organ forum last month. I learned an interesting detail - 11 pin Leslies ground a positive pin and 9 pin Leslies ground a negative pin to effect motor switching. (Or was it the other way around?) .... This is not a problem if your Leslie switch is a real switch, but if it is a transistor -- or if you are mixing 9 and 11 pin Leslies on the same switch -- you may bump in to motor control issues. Other than that, the signal levels etc between 9 and 11 pin are the same; the main differences being the turn-on toggling on the 11-pin instead of supplying the line voltage across the Leslie cable.

I would LOVE to see some pics of the 1197 guts. I didn't realize it even had an amplifier in it.

Did you catch Rick's advice on TWGH? "IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: Power off the keyboard prior to connection; failure to do so can blow the audio chip"

Wes

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Thought I would add more information after using the 1197 kit for a couple of years. It works great with either my 825 or 760 Leslies. I have since acquired an 860 Leslie. (11 pin) It works just fine hooked up the the VK-77 organ directly. All the things they say about the 860 are right. It lacks bottom end. My intention is to use it with my 825 which has a solid bottom but lacks a horn. They're the same width and depth and stack nicely. The result is taller than my 760, but easier to deal with in my mini-van. (That's become an oxymoron. Nothing mini about the current Sienna.) I have yet to acquire an 11 pin splitter to allow me to use both leslies at the same time. Gonna order one this week. If you know of any issues, please PM me. Thanks

• Members

Might want to try using a sub instead of the 825. I suspect that the frequencies the 860 is lacking are (mostly) non-directional anyhow. The right sub (200W Yorkville with 10" speakers) would easy to pack and compact on stage. Or maybe bass amp instead of sub, if you can put a crossover (Driverack) in front of it.

It would be interesting to see a frequency plot of the 860's response. I bet it starts to go south around 150Hz or so.

Wes

• Members

I've got a RTA. (In my iphone and a DOD one that I bought back in the 1990s.) Will try to get a plot for it. I've actually found my 825 to be deeper sounding than my 760. Go figure. (The 760 is slightly louder, but none of these will keep up with a loud anything onstage. And I refuse to mic them.)

Archived