Looking for specific features in a performance keyboard

• Members

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in purchasing a keyboard with several mono modes- latest note/high/low etc. I have searched many PDF manuals, but I am really interested in your feedback regarding specific instruments.

As an example, when I play a powerchord with a guitar sound, I would like to add a second layer with a bass sound in mono mode with low note priority. This way, the bass sound would always play the lowest note out of the chord. Similarly on the right hand, the high-note priority mono mode could play a solo sound in parallel to the whole right-hand chord playing another sound.

I need at least 8 split zones, and each should have its own layers and their assigned mono modes. If I am not wrong, this outrules the Jupiter 80, since it has a more traditional "left hand part/right hand part" rather than multiple split zones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

OnKeyboards wrote:

I need at least 8 split zones, and each should have its own layers and their assigned mono modes. If I am not wrong, this outrules the Jupiter 80, since it has a more traditional "left hand part/right hand part" rather than multiple split zones.

I believe the Jupiter 80 supports 4 zones, two of which can be internally split 4 ways, for a total of 10 possible definable key ranges. I don't know how flexible it is in terms of high/low/last note priority, though.

The Kurzweil was mentioned for its 16 zones, but I don't believe it supports selectable high/low/last note priority. 

I would look at Korg Kronos or Krome.

• Members

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for your answers. I really appreciate this.

I already studied the Korg Kronos user manual. The thing is that the Kronos has several synth engines onboard and the mono mode high/low/last is a feature on only some of them. So I may run into a situation where I want to change the bass sound to a different synth engine and then I wouldn't be able to run it in mono mode/low note priority anymore.

But obviously this is definitely better than having no such feature at all.

I also downloaded and searched the Kurzweil PC3X user manual and it seems it has no such mono-note-priority feature.

Any other current, relatively advanced synths which may fit the requirement?

• Members

AnotherScott wrote:

I believe the Jupiter 80 supports 4 zones, two of which can be internally split 4 ways, for a total of 10 possible definable key ranges. I don't know how flexible it is in terms of high/low/last note priority, though.

From the Jupiter 80 Parameter Guide: Each tone can be assigned to solo 1/solo 2/mono which corresponds to high/low/last note priority. Additionally, SuperNATURAL acoustic wind/string instruments have a LayerSection switch for divisi playing where separate instruments play separate notes in a chord.

Archived