Kronos + Controller??

• Members

I recall reading an article in Keyboard magazine last year where a musician mentioned that he used a Kronos in conjunction with a MIDI controller keyboard (I think it was a Roland) as his live setup. He was able to play both keyboards simultaneously with each keyboard playing a different program and I believe there was only one combined audio output.

Can anyone explain to me how to set this up on the Kronos? I have a Kronos 88 and I would love to add a second keyboard that can play the Kronos programs so I can play a piano sound on the Kronos keyboard and use the controller for the Kronos synths, strings, etc.....

Thanks!!

Phil

• Members

I am not a Kronos user but I think the general technique is the same, no matter what workstation you are using.

1. Create a layered sound (I think Kronos calls them Combi's maybe?) with say two patches assigned, one to each layer.

2. On one layer ( the one you want to control from the external kb), turn OFF the setting that makes the patch play from the Kronos kb.

3. On the same patch, turn ON whatever switch allows it to be triggered from mid and set the midi channel to some number or omni (all channels).

4. Ensure the midi setting on the other layer is OFF, especially if using omni since that will be played from the Kronos kb.

5. If NOT using omni,Set the external kb to send midi on whatever channel you set for the layer you want to trigger from it. If using omni it does not really matter for this simple setup.

There might be other global midi settings in the Kronos and/or external kb I know nothing about to enable midi in/out etc.

That should give you two separate sounds, one from each kb.

You can extend this further by say creating a split in the external kb so that say the bottom part sends midi on say channel 2 and the top part on channel 3.

Then add another layer to your combi on the Kronos and make it respond to midi channel 3 and the first one to channel 2.

You could also set one layer to omni and the other to channel 2 or 3 say so that one layer plays no matter where you are on the external kb while the other layer only comes in for part of the kb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a M3 and an 88 key controller i set up combis with sounds on different midi channels and can change zones on the controller to play the different sound on the M3. so -- lets say I have a piano sound on midi channel 2 and an organ sound on channel 1. I set the global channel on the M3 to 1 and the midi channel on the current zone on the controller to 2 when i play the M3 key bed I get organ - when I play the controller i get piano, my controller has 8 zones that can be set to any channel so if i have a different piano sound on midi channel 3 I can switch to that zone on the controller and play that sound, etc etc

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just to clarify what everyone else has been saying,

Step 1)

Hook the MIDI OUT of your controller to the MIDI IN of the Kronos

Step 2)

Set up the MIDI Routing in the Kronos to LOCAL for Channel 1 and Set the MIDI Routing in the Kronos to MIDI in Channel 2, 3, 4... etc... whatever channel your controller is set to.

Step 3)

Assign whatever particular voice you had in mind for each channel you're using to whichever controller you're using.

No need to set this up as a combi or a layer unless you are planning to control layered sounds with each controller. Then you add each layered voice to it's own channel and if your controllers can handle splits and layers just again assign each to LOCAL or MIDI control.

That, in a nutshell is how it's usually done.

Gary ;)

Archived