roland jv 1080 still useful?

cresshead

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
roland jv 1080 still useful?

just looking at the integra 7 and 'where' it's synth engine came from long ago and was wondering if the jv1080 still holds up for people in 2012?
The Roland JV 1080 is hopelessly obsolete and is not useful any more. Put it out with next week's trash. wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• Members

I think the JV 1080 (and all of the JV and XP models) holds up just fine. My XP-30 has a huge collection of sounds that I still use regularly, particularly acoustic guitars, brass, woodwinds, strings, general synth and bass sounds. The EPs and organs are also pretty good.

But like pretty much all romplers and workstations of that time (with the exception of the Kurzweil K series), the JV/XP line never had what I would call a great acoustic piano -- at least not by today's standards. They're decent enough hidden in a mix, but nothing that I would solo with.

• Members

I have a little different opinion than majority. If you are after pads, for example, nearly all of them are based on a set of a mediocre and similar synthstring waveforms (JP Strings), mostly being manipulated by the effect section. Than, you can only use one insert effect for a mix.
Acoustics were not up to the task, because Roland wanted to sale to SR-JV80 card expansion, of which orchestral was really a good one, and it's still completely useful.
GM bank is a laughable stock, if anyone is after it.
I had that Roland soundset in my XP-80 some years ago (and played it for weeks again just recently) and again I wasn't really impressed.

On the positive side, it has quite a flexible synth engine inside with huge potential, good filters, portamento etc, and it can be a good value - but only with those expansion cards because the internal waves are mediocre at best.

• Members

It's not a question of "does it sound good" as much as "does anything sound better". Sample based instruments seem to improve all the time as mfrs stuff more and bigger samples into new models, but that doesn't make the old units sound bad.

As with any synth, if you plan on rolling your own sounds there is plenty to keep you busy while the factory presets won't make you go "wow" the way they might have a decade ago.

• Members

a bit of both actually!...been watching a ton of integra videos, jupiter 50/80 and then over the weekend started to look at 1080, 2080 and 5080 videos including keyboardwizard's excellent demo's too just to get a feel of the legacy synth engine....the last roland synth i had was a mt32 before i got the Gaia!
so the last time i had my finger on the pulse of a roland was around the D50 era!...quite abit has come out since then...i was haapily off inot yamaha land with my sy77, tg33, ry30 etc!

also want to get my head around the SRX content on the virtual boards.

i can see me either getting the integra 7...or an older rack like the 1080 or maybe both so i don't run out of notes!

it's al abit funny really cos most of the youtube demo's on any synth are so awful they put you off ANY synth!!!!
...it's rare to find someone who doesn't either play dirge or has awful audio quality recording via a webcam or phone!
or as i label them "non musical filth!"

keyboardwizard is the exception to the rule, his demo's are excellent.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
a bit of both actually!...been watching a ton of integra videos, jupiter 50/80 and then over the weekend started to look at 1080, 2080 and 5080 videos including keyboardwizard's excellent demo's too just to get a feel of the legacy synth engine....the last roland synth i had was a mt32 before i got the Gaia!
so the last time i had my finger on the pulse of a roland was around the D50 era!...quite abit has come out since then...i was haapily off inot yamaha land with my sy77, tg33, ry30 etc!

also want to get my head around the SRX content on the virtual boards.

i can see me either getting the integra 7...or an older rack like the 1080 or maybe both so i don't run out of notes!

it's al abit funny really cos most of the youtube demo's on any synth are so awful they put you off ANY synth!!!!
...it's rare to find someone who doesn't either play dirge or has awful audio quality recording via a webcam or phone!
or as i label them "non musical filth!"

keyboardwizard is the exception to the rule, his demo's are excellent.
I know a few have posted about the Poly limit on the Integra, you have an interesting solution. thumb.gif

• Members

I am always happy when people find these videos to be useful. I recently bought a Roland XV-5050 module. As I understand it, the 5050 has all of the sounds of the 5080, but can only hold two of the expansion cards. And it doesn't do sampling.

This past weekend I started doing some video demo work with the XV-5050. It seems as though many of the cool sounds I am finding go all the way back to the 1080.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ View Post
Man the 1080 does still sounds very fat and warm and has many usable sounds if you stay clear of the LA D-50 stuff.

The JV1080/2080 and the XP30 are amazing deals these days. I had originally intended to get the 2080 back in the day when the XP30 came out and I bought that instead.

The great thing about the XP30 is that it has all of the factory sounds of the JV2080 PLUS the Session, Techno, and Orchestral SR-JV80 cards pre-installed -- over 1900 patches and performances in all. Nowadays you can buy an XP30 for about the price of those three cards.

Moreover, if I were thinking about buying a JV-1080, I'd probably spend the extra $50 and get a 2080 instead -- primarily because of the bigger display and added expansion slots.

• Members

I can't understand why anyone would want a JV1080 or 2080, that's why I sold my 2080 which I got as a sweetening bonus on a trade I wasn't sure I wanted to make.

If you want synth sounds, the JD990 is much better at that (i'm talking Roland here - there's obviously tons of other options).

If you want sampled sounds, later romplers are much better at that.

Which leaves the JVs being not that great at either thing. Unless you want to start stacking up expansion cards - making it too expensive for what you get. IMHO.

Finally, I find it amusing that I've seen people that think Yamaha Motifs, Korg Triton/M3 and Alesis Fusion are so unintuitive to program, yet they think programming a JV1080 is cool.

• Members

The XP-30 will always be a resounding success for Roland when you include the quality build, free exp boards, and great action. Still a good live board and still used even in large recording acts for concert use. I do agree with CR the JD990 is a beast. PLUS. Nothing against the Alesis stuff for I nearly almost pulled the trigger on the Sweetwater exclusive of the Fusion 6HD.

• Members

My impression is that a lot of people who bought JV and XP units never bothered to really program them. With its 4 tone patch structure and so many samples and effects to choose from, you can coax some very nice and complex sounds out of a JV2080, 1080, or XP30. But again, you have to be willing to program it.

It would be easy to assume that later rompler workstations are automatically better at everything than earlier models like the JV series. But it's not necessarily so. My XP-30 has certain guitars and string patches, for example, that I prefer over the guitars and strings of more recent workstations like the Motif series. It has a lot to do with the quality and care given in the original sampling. The Motif line STILL uses string and brass samples that have vibrato in the sample itself, making them unrealistic and unusable to me. It also has to do with the thought that goes into how you would layer samples to make a finished patch -- something that Roland seems to mastered over and above its competitors going back to the D50.

The Kurzweil K series is similar in this respect. In many sound categories, my K2500 STILL wins out -- to my ears, at least -- over workstations produced 10 or 15 years later.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Let me just play droolmaster here for a minute and say that the excuse that "People who don't like synth XYZ just never attempted to program it", is kind of demeaning smile.gif

I never mentioned "people who don't like" the JV and XP series. I referred to *people who bought them* -- which includes the many people (presumably the majority) who LIKED them. Most people just used the presets, because a lot of them were quite good, and never bothered to create unique patches. And yeah, the JV and XP series can still make some very good sounds.

It's anyone's prerogative to not like the JV-2080. But to say that it's just an outdated piece of shit is a stretch of another kind. Sure, there may be better romplers these days, but not for $200.

And again it's interesting that the reason a lot of people didn't bother to program them is because people *liked* them. The selection of patches covered so many bases so well that few saw the need to bother -- on top of the fact that it involved a bit of menu diving.

The JV series was, as far as I remember, the first offering by Roland to have an expanded (base 10 numbered) patch library, as opposed to the older 64 patch layout (8 banks of 8 patches). This enabled them to create a LOT more patches and cover a lot of instrument types. The sheer variety of sounds it offered made it quite a workhorse in and out of the studio.

Archived