Roland RD64 - Am I the only one excited about this?

RetroVintageOld

• Members

I guess there isn't much to blab about, but that's why I like it.   Pro sounds and effects in a 24 lb board with weighted keys.  No menus or anything to worry about.   It's about as close as you can get to a guitar player's experience of just walking in with your instrument in one hand, then plugging in a playing. 

Its the same thing that attracted me to the SV1.   Yes there are some flaws, the controls should be on top to minimize space, and no internal power supply, but overall this is just what I'm looking for.   I even love the 64 key layout. The only thing I miss with 61 keys is the low Bb because I sing a lot of songs in that key.

I've tried (really tried) several times to get use to an unweighted action so I can save my back but I never could. This is only 10 lbs lighter than my SV1, but I think it will be easier to handle because of the shape. (The SV1 looks cool, but the pill shape offers nothing to grab on to.) Plus, at $1000 I don't feel bad about only protecting it with a gig bag. 

• Members

RetroVintageOld wrote:

I guess there isn't much to blab about, but that's why I like it.   Pro sounds and effects in a 24 lb board with weighted keys.  No menus or anything to worry about.   It's about as close as you can get to a guitar player's experience of just walking in with your instrument in one hand, then plugging in a playing. 

Its the same thing that attracted me to the SV1.   Yes there are some flaws, the controls should be on top to minimize space, and no internal power supply, but overall this is just what I'm looking for.   I even love the 64 key layout. The only thing I miss with 61 keys is the low Bb because I sing a lot of songs in that key.

I've tried (really tried) several times to get use to an unweighted action so I can save my back but I never could. This is only 10 lbs lighter than my SV1, but I think it will be easier to handle because of the shape. (The SV1 looks cool, but the pill shape offers nothing to grab on to.) Plus, at $1000 I don't feel bad about only protecting it with a gig bag. 

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/804975-new-gear-roland-boss-looking-good-post8677687.html#post8677687

I am not even into that stuff and I noticed it... LOL

I heard a few people ask why they did not chop the left end of and put those extras on the top, but then the pitch lever is better where it is and the other bits are closer to hand...

I am guessing some people need this thing and it will sell... They must have done some research ;-)

• Members

I really like the RD64 for the same reasons RVO states. I have a relatively cheap Yamaha P-95 because I needed something at home that I can turn on and start playing, but it's a real pain to take it anywhere because of it's size. If the RD64 had come sooner, I would have definitely saved up for this instead...

• Members

I did see this. Honestly, the Casio PX-5S seems much more intriguing. It has 88 weighted keys, and many more features, and it's a little cheaper and lighter. Seems a worthwhile tradeoff for the additional 8" in width.

Based on the demo clips I watched, I'm likely going to pick one of these up, if not immediately, then when they get reduced on sale.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've just picked up an RD64 today, my first impressions are good apart from the fact that the headphone pre amp is way too quiet. Most of the sounds are excellent, particularly grand piano1 and the wurli ( the organs are surprisingly decent as well) The action is the same as the Rd300NX / FP4F which is expressive but takes some getting used to for faster playing.

Overall, i'm very pleased with my purchase so far especially for the price, this thing is ultra compact and 64 keys are ok for most of my requirements.

• Members

ElectricPuppy wrote:

RetroVintageOld wrote:

(The SV1 looks cool, but the pill shape offers nothing to grab on to.)

Ain't that the truth.  Trying to move the SV-1 around is like trying to wrestle a greased pig.  There's just nothing to hold onto.  It does look nice, though.

The RD300 and RD700 families of synths aren't a whole lot better in that regard!  When I need to carry my keyboard for those short moves from A to B - I tend to carry my keyboard tucked under my arm.  My 70lb Yamaha CP300 is actually easier to carry the the RD700-SX that I own - simply because the "spine" of the keyboard has two 90 degree edges on it.   That angled back end of the RD700-SX is a bitch to wrap your arm around! 

• Members

I've been checking this and the Casio px 5s out cause of my limited budget. I was put off by the color of the casio, and the Eps sounded kinda boxy to me. Is the Rhodes patch in the Rd 64 usable? I've heard so many bad reviews on supernatural stuff. Does it sound like they reworked the factory presets at all?  I really wanna like this thing.. seems like the perfect giging axe, but I need the Rhodes to be decent enough for the Funk tunes we do.  

Toiler one wrote:

I've just picked up an RD64 today, my first impressions are good apart from the fact that the headphone pre amp is way too quiet. Most of the sounds are excellent, particularly grand piano1 and the wurli ( the organs are surprisingly decent as well) The action is the same as the Rd300NX / FP4F which is expressive but takes some getting used to for faster playing.

Overall, i'm very pleased with my purchase so far especially for the price, this thing is ultra compact and 64 keys are ok for most of my requirements.

• Members

This is the best demo I've heard so far.  I'm pretty happy with those ep's, although they could be a little dirtier.  Sounds like they gave us a Mk1, Mk2... Or maybe a suitcase model, either way they both sound like they'll sit well in a mix.  Wurly sounds great, the effects are good, but I think a real wah wah would help that clav out a lot.  The organs seem to be just what I need as a piano player.  My only concern at the moment IS the Piano sounds though... they seemed a bit distant. Great sound to them, but I'm afraid they might get eaten my the band. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have this piano for about 2-3 months now and have been making money with it every day as a street musician. I needed a compact piano with weighted action and a decent onboard piano sound, so when this came out I grabbed it right away. I use it in combination with a Roland KC-110 amplifier.

It seems like a reliable sturdy piano so far. Being shorter than an 88keys piano is an advantage for transporting it through the subway every day. A longer piano would oscillate more and that would have a negative consequence on the keybed on the long term. On the other hand it is not as short as it could be for a 64keys piano and it is rather heavy for a piano that doesn

• Members

If it wasn't for the cost difference, if I absolutely had to have something less wide than an 88, I'd take a Nord Nord Piano 2 HP or Nord Electro 3HP/4HP over the RD64. The Nords are about the same width as the Roland, 4 pounds lighter, 73 keys instead of 64, with more versatility overall (other than MIDI functionality). Neither action is great, but if you can manage with the RD, you can probably manage with the Nord. But yeah, the Roland is cheaper!

Archived