Windows 7/8 VST Host/Processor

fcoulter

• Members

I'm sure that this has been dealt with recently, but when I searched the forum, the most recent post I've seen was about five years ago.  Technology tends to advance, so I figure that there may be updates to this.

I tend to be the auxilary keyboardist for musical theater productions.  (Musical theater scores tend to have far more instruments than most local theaters can afford to hire.  The musical director will generally hire musicians for the various parts until they reach their budget limit, and then use an auxilary keyboardist to fill out the rest of the parts.)

At any rate, I'm planning on using my relatively dumb keyboard and drive some vst instuments on a Windows 7/8 computer.  My keyboard has really good piano and other such sounds, but not so good solo orchestral instruments.  My keyboard is dumb enough that it sends on a single channel.

What I would like to use is a vst host on my computer that can process the midi in, splitting and layering as I want, and then drive the vst module.  I would like to be able to change settings quickly in a performance situation.

I'm also cheap, so I'd rather not spend a lot of money on this software.  Free is very pretty.

So, what's out there that meets my needs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Members

I use Cantabile as well. I just recently purchased the "Solo" version, but may upgrade if it works out for me. I've just started scratching the surface with it so can't make any comparisons to Forte or offer much other than saying it works, and it's deep.

• Members

When I go to the Reaper site, I find a lot about using it in a studio, but little about live performance. The Cantabile site talks only about live performance.

Given all the capabilities of Reaper, wouldn't using it only as a vst host for live performances carry a lot of unneccessary overhead?

Archived