Anyone using MacBook Pro and Mainstage for live use?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I'm joining a new project where I'll be playing 1/2 keys-1/2 guitar. I'm giving serious consideration to stripping my rig down from several keyboards to a small footprint. A single keytar (Ax-Synth controller) and a Mac running Mainstage.  The new footprint is two fold... I'm only adding some extra 'gliss' to another keyboard player and 2# stage real estate is at a premium. We have two singers and 5 bandmembers. The idea of bringing even a single three tier stand to play behind is claustrophobic. 

Anyone have extensive expreience using a MacBook pro as a sound module. Any pros and cons? I assume manistage is the app environment to get for soft for apps to run smoothly. This will be much less gear to lug around anyway. I can easily do setups at home, leave a cheap midi controller in my rehearsal space and just run from place to place with the laptop. I've resisted this for so long. Now it's time to turn to the dark side of the force! ;)

• Members

Hey mate

Yup, I use a MacBook Pro and MainStage frequently. Providing you run a clean system and set up your MainStage sessions/patches efficiently, you shouldn't run into any problems.

A couple of times I've seen some strange behavior when the venue has had bad power, but by and large it runs quite well.

Here's a couple of videos of me using it live for keyboards/left hand bass:

Archived