Recommendations for Midi PC interfaces? DAW?

malice95

• Members

So I am just getting into synths and DAWs in general. I picked up a Roland JP 8000 and a Roland JX8P

to get some of that classic 80s sounds going.I'm sure I'll pickup other midi equipment along the way.

What midi interface vendor would you guys recommend? I was thinking an 8x8 to get started and future proof myself for a while. I'd like something that could stack multiple units together in case I go nuts in

the future (I tend to be a gearhead).

What do most folks use here for their DAW?

There are so many DAWs to choose from for a PC that its tough deciding.I need basic sampling,

recording, many tracks, large patch/virtual instrument library, ability to have lots of plugins or

software like the Waldorf PPG emulator and maybe something like easydrummer or some other drum plugin to build the background track for 80s/90s songs I enjoy.

Is Cubase Artist 8 a good choice? A large sound library and maximum plugin compatibility

are top on my list.

• Members

i recommend Roland Octa Capture, 8 ins, 8 balanced out. and u can stack 2 for 16 in/out. very very low latency.

for DAW, I absolutely love Reaper. free to try . it only nags you during load, but it's 100% fully functional

• Members

Cubase is a decent choice, so is Presonus Studio One Artist. I have Reaper the paid for version and its decent but doesn't come with a library of instruments, though it does have a good selection of processors effects, eq, compressors etc. Once you learn how to use it, any Pro DAW will have mostly the same capabilities. The differences are interface, work flow and what your used too. And since DAW software no longer costs thousands, you can buy a couple of different ones and decide which is best for you. The only DAW I haven't liked is Ableton Live, its way too different and has a horrible graphical interface.

Me I'm on a Mac, which means I started on Garage Band because it was free and deceptively powerful which then brought me to Logic Pro X because it has the same basic interface with more features. And since you want just basic functionality any of the Focusrite, Presonus 2 in 2 out will work fine as well as Steinburg UR22 or Roland Duo capture EX. I use the Roland and its rock solid. It also works with my iPad. The Presonus units come with Studio One and Steinberg UR22 comes with Cubase AI6.

• Members

Cubase user here. No regrets. Lots of options and comes standard with enough stuff to keep you busy for quite a while. You could easily start with Artist and upgrade to Pro later and all the stuff you create in the meantime will port over just fine. Regarding interfaces, I've got a Steinberg UR22 that is only a 2x2 interface. Steinberg makes an 8x8 but for that amount of money I would consider looking at something like the Behringer X18R which could act as an audio interface / mixer / effects processor and recorder as well. It can cover a lot of things you will want at some point down the road. Could be used with studio monitors at home or with a PA system on stage if needed.

Other DAW choices for PC are Reaper, Studio One, Pro Tools, Digital Performer (iirc). Most have demo versions to give you a chance to "test drive" them before purchasing or upgrading. It is going to bear into play what kind of workflow you have. A suggestion would be to watch introduction videos on YouTube of each DAW you're considering and see which one "click" for you. If you are going to spend a lot of time and effort in recording with it, it needs to do what you need and feel comfortable to you doing it. Look around and see which one trips your trigger.

Archived