NORD!

shambler

• Members

I am looking for a QUALITY (mind the caps) keybed.

Fatar seem to offer such a thing and Nord use them, the question is...

does 1+1=2?

Nord electro 4 is what I'm looking at, good piano and organ sounds, but most of all I want a decent keybed.

Could this be it?

• Members

Short story: Might just be!

Long story:

Fatar makes a lot of different actions (which is the correct term, though admittedly Fatar calls them keybeds. Technically, "keybed" is the space on a grand piano where you slide the action over when installing it.)

The Electro 4 comes with different actions: hammer action ("HP", 76 keys) or semi-weighted waterfall ("SW", 73 or 61 keys).

The hammer action is a good compromise between piano action and light weight overall. Few players consider it the best piano action, but many love it for the portability, being so light. I wish I could afford to buy a keyboard I'd only use for rehearsals, jams, and short gigs; NE 3 or 4 HP would be the one.

The semi-weighted action with waterfall keys is great for organ, and I like it for Wurli and Clav too. It's downright rude for piano, though I do use it for rehearsals (but not jams or short gigs).

Worse still, the 73's lowest key is F, which sucks: I kept hitting the cheek block with my pinky, reaching for that E that's just not there. Then I started setting the octave so I had low C and never used the keys below that -- in which case I might as well have had a 61. Then I added a low E key (possible on the NE2 if you're handy and I make more of the necessary part) and it's fine -- except the piano sound on NE2 sucks.

The Nord Piano has a completely different Fatar hammer-action keyboard. Piano players tend to like that action better than the Electro HP, but it's pricier, doesn't have the super organ, and is heavier (though still an easy carry.) 88 keys.

With any of the Nords you can pick from a number of different piano sample sets available at Nord's website, and they regularly add new ones. No extra charge. Unfortunately the newer better pianos won't load on my old NE2. :-(

• Members

As learjeff said, Fatar makes many actions... and they are not all universally admired. You really need to get your hands on them and see what you prefer.

If you're looking for a single board to pay piano and organ, the action will always be a compromise for (at least) one of the two.

Since the action is your primary concern, in the price range of the Nord Electro 4, I'd look at the Roland VR-700. The piano and organ sounds are not as strong, but they are not bad. But I think the action is better than any Nord Electro 4 keyboard if you're looking to play piano and organ from the same board. (It also gives you that low E that jeff misses on some of the Nords!)

I'm curious to check out the action on the Hammond SK1-88, I haven't seen one yet, and they tout that as being a board that works well for piano and organ. Pricey, though.

One of the newer Casio 88's and some other organ could be another way to go... it might not push your budget too much, and could give you better actions for piano and organ than you would get from any single board, assuming you find a combination that satisfies you in terms of the sounds as well. Maybe a PX-5S with either a Roland VR-09 or a Hammond XK-1c. (Roland is lower priced with more sounds; Hammond is generally thought to have the better organ sound and action.)

• Members

1) Keybed feel is subjective; what one person likes, another may dislike

2) not all keybeds are treated equal, two semi-weighted keybeds don't feel the same.  Two fully weighted keyboards don't feel or respond the same, and the synth weighted are almost equally as bad as the other two.  

So although you can ask here about keybed and feel, the only way to ensure you'll actually like the feel is to get to a sam ash, guitar center or some music mom and pop store and try it yourself.  

• Members

I've only had two Clavia boards - a Nord Lead 2, and a G2.  The keys were pretty crappy on those, but the G2's redeemng quality was release velocity.

Probably not comparable to the Electro line.  I haven't had one of those,  just tried them out in a store.

Didn't care for the keys on those at all.  But key feel is highly individual.

Archived