midi keyboard for live and home use! help!

tlbrooks

• Members

My wife plays piano and i want to get her an 88 key hammer action midi controller so she can write and record and get any sound she wants.

My questions are, would a fairly cheap windows laptop be ok running whatever program she wants to use?

Also, what are good programs for this type of stuff?

• Members

tlbrooks wrote:

My questions are, would a fairly cheap windows laptop be ok running whatever program she wants to use?

Not likely. It really depends on what you consider "cheap"  It also depends on if the laptop will be dedicated exclusively to this. You could get an inexpensive laptop to fairly comfortably run a DAW with little latency issues if it is well configured and is not concurrently worried about network connectivity, printer drivers, updater programs running in the background, iTunes, anti-virus software, and so on. It also depends on what plug-ins you use and how many are running within the DAW at once. If you can get a midrange laptop with a clean install (uninstall any of the extra bundled software) so nothing is fighting against the DAW then you could do a lot with it.

I would start with Reaper. Download the demo and see how it runs on the computer. It is an inexpensive but stable and powerful DAW. If you run into issues there are ton of articles and forum posts that can help you pinpoint and address each of the issues.

http://www.reaper.fm/

• Members

Is this a gift? . . . . If so, I'm not so sure it's wise to buy an experienced pianist a keyboard as a gift. . . she probably should have some input because the preferences regarding keybeds among pianists vary widely. Just saying. 

I just know if my wife bought me a keyboard without my input. . . I don't know how I would react. I'd probably think she'd gone nuts unless it was some keyboard she knew I wanted.

Archived