Anyone here own an Akai S3000 sampler?

• Members

Most don't have the effects board installed, though you do find them occasionally (my XL doesn't). The thing to really look for is that the memory's maxed out to 32Mb, most are, but not all. Also the display is likely to be fading if it hasn't been replaced (an easy enough fix if you can find a replacement). Sound-wise, they have a reputation for being clear & uncoloured, which some people don't like, but it explains why they sometimes get used by TV & radio stations for station idents & stuff. The latest OS is 2.0, btw (which I still don't have).

• Members

Awesome. Thanks guys. How fast will it load an entire sample set from a SCSI CD ROM drive?

I think pretty fast, as long as the CD-ROM drive itself is a pretty reasonable speed. I've heard the Akai SCSI is pretty fast as these things go, so the CD-ROM drive itself would almost certainly be the bottleneck.

At 1x speed it would (theoretically) take about 3m40s to transfer a 32mb bank. If you can find a 16x drive, it would probably transfer in less than 30 seconds.

For reference, I've got an EMAX II with a 540mb SCSI hard drive and it loads 4mb banks nearly instantaneously. Kickass SCSI on that guy.

• 6 years later...

Archived