Newbie question: Keyboard & software recommendations

• Members

I'm basically a guitarist/drummer, totally new to keyboards. I want to do a little recording - some original tunes - and there are a few that can use a bit of keyboards to spruce them up. So I'm looking for recommendations on a keyboard, and whatever software I might need. I just saw that Musician's Friend is selling the Novation Launchkey 49 for a hundred bucks - so that's one that I'm considering. But it seems the Novation is heavily geared toward Ableton. I have Ableton Lite, with no intention of upgrading. I have no interest in anything involving loops and samples...I just want to overdub some keyboards on top of my recordings - which lean way more toward 'warm and folky" then they do toward "cold and loopy". (Nothing against folks who want to do that kind of music, of course!) Just some good organ and synth sounds.

Right now my workflow involves recording and editing in Adobe Audition. A good solution for me would be anything that involves simply plugging in the keyboard and doing some overdubs. I've been using a Scarlet2i2 as interface to my PC.

Any keyboard, software, or workflow recommendations appreciated!

• Members

For a PC I would suggest you try Reaper ($60 , free down load not crippled) for recording or PreSonus Studio One Artist ($99, free demo) both are cheap and excellent software packages. For a controller I would recommend a Samson Graphite 49 ($179) or a Nektar LX 49 ($159(), I prefer the Samson, better keys and build but the Necktar is really easy to setup. You then might try a few free audio synths or get something like Komplete Elements for $49.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/te...-synths-615790

That should get you started, what you want to do can be done real cheap. Its only later as you gain expertise that the costs start growing exponentially, especially software. Good luck!

• Members

I recommend you go to a store and see how the action feels on a bunch of controllers. I know you don't have a lot of experience, so a piano-type vs synth feel isn't going to be a big deal right now, and any of the cheap controllers will suffice. 49 keys should be enough for what you want to do.

Ableton Lite is OK, as is Reaper. I'll admit to using Garageband on a regular basis and Mainstage 3, but I don't know if you're using a Mac or PC.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at a bunch of reviews. The Arturia Keylab is sounding good - a MIDI controller that also comes with 5,000 sounds. It seems to be getting some pretty good reviews, other than for the quality of the keys. Not sure I'd notice, though...I'm brand new to keyboards, and won't be taking this out on the road. Anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if I can just dl the software, plug it in, then start overdubbing tracks I've recorded in Audition. I'm also wondering if it has good organ sounds (it definitely seems to have some good synth sounds).

• Members

I own an Arturia KeyLab 61 and a MinLab. Both are awesome controllers and are pretty rock solid. The Analog Lab software is a plus and will suck you in to the V-Collection in no time at all. With it, you do have the Farfisa for organ (but it's no Hammond), and you do have a great Wurley in the Wurltizer V. The things it lacks could be gathered fairly inexpensively. I personally use VB3 for Hammond, Ravenscroft for piano, Lounge Lizard for Rhodes, etc. SampleTank 3 is not a bad entry level sound package that covers a lot of bases.Hope that helps!

• Members

I went and pulled the trigger on a Keylab 49. It's pretty impressive. I spent the first day just trying out the different sounds...with 5,000 of them there's got to be something you like! There are more awesome synth sounds than you can count, some pretty nice organ settings, a sprinkling of not-bad piano sounds, and lots of dreamy synth-string pad type things. I haven't seen any of the issues with keys that some have been reporting...every one of them is in perfect working order. Now I just have to learn how to play it! Off to practice my C scales...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, Midinut, if I got Ravenscroft 275 it would work with the Keylab 49? And give me the grand piano sounds that the Analog Lab software lacks? I hate to drop $200 bucks for Ravenscroft. Not that it wouldn't be worth the $ - it looks very cool - I just don't know how much use I'll be getting out of it...I just have a few songs I want to record that could use a little piano. But if it does the job I may just bite the bullet and get it.

• Members

Mickmeister: Sorry I didn't see your response until just now. Yeah, congrats on the KeyLab 49. As I said, I've got the KeyLab 61 and love it. I'm at the beach and have my MiniLab hooked up right now trying a few things. Regarding the Ravenscroft 275, if you don't want to spend that much but want a nice piano, there are other options. You could look into the Alicia's Keys from Native Instruments, or The Giant either one. Also check if Pianoteq might have an introductory package that is reasonable. I hear wonderful things about it. Another option might be SampleTank 3 which would give you a good rounded set of "meat and potato" sounds (like a good romper or workstation keyboard). It seems like SampleTank might be a good "bang for your buck" solution to offset what Arturia doesn't include. It's great at vintage synth sounds and a few good EPs but look at other options if you are also wanting good orchestral strings or brass and acoustic guitars, drums, etc. If you've got any further questions just ask. As you head down this "slippery slope" you will find that this whole VST thing is a bottomless money pit. Thankfully, it's a cheaper route than buying all the real keyboards and such. Good luck! And keep on enjoying Analog Lab. It will keep you busy for quite some time.

• Members

Hey, Midinut, I just downloaded the free trial of Sampletank 3, and that acoustic piano sound is blowing me away. But I have a question: Have you noticed a thumping sound going on in the background? I'll hit a key and hear two things: An awesome grand piano sound, and a dull thud just as the key is pressed. If I hit a few random notes I might not notice it, but it comes out if I play notes in quick succession - like, say, a fast scale. This doesn't seem limited to Sampletank...I've noticed it on some of the Analog Lab pianos as well. Only the piano sounds...I've never noticed it on anything else. It's bugging me..because other than that, I'm totally loving the idea of getting myself a package that does acoustic piano. It's such an expressive instrument...going back to my Analog Lab "lounge pianos" just isn't going to cut it for me!

• Members

I hear it on each of the 3 pianos that come with the Sampletank free trial: Classical Grand Piano Demo, Grand Piano Jazz Demo, and Thematic Grand Piano demo. At first I thought it might be the sound of the key being depressed coming thru when they recorded the sample. But I also hear it on some electric piano-type sounds in Analog Lab - like DarkBallad and Feelin Down. The only piano sound I haven't noticed it on is Analog Lab's CS-80V "Toy Piano".

• Members

I'm sorry it has taken me this long to check it but I have the full version and don't have those same exact patches. I tried ones that looked comparable. For example, instead of "Classical Grand Piano demo" I tried "Grand Piano 1 Classical", instead of "Grand Piano Jazz demo" I tried "Jazz Grand Piano 1" and finally, and I couldn't find anything resembling "Thematic Grand Piano demo" so no luck there.

Now about the thud. I hear an initial attack (on the two I tried) and I hear an effect (maybe reverb or delay). I think the effect may be louder than the actual sample. They both sounded good I thought, but both also had too much effect for my taste. But that is a subjective matter and just like seasoning our food, sometimes you have to "play" with the sound a bit to get it where you want it. But in my opinion, I did not hear a "thud" as you described. Hope that was helpful and again sorry it took so long.

Archived