Yamaha electric piano question......

Opa John

• Members

......This is my first post here on the keyboard forum. I spend all of my HC time on the acoustic guitar forum. A keyboard question has come up that I'm looking for an answer to.

My sister recently bought a used Yamaha electric piano and wants to run it through her Peavy keyboard amplifier. When she was reading her manual that came with the piano she noticed that there were specific instructions for using an external amplifier. According to her manual, it says;

"When the keyboard is connected to an external sound system, first turn the keyboard on and then the power to the external amplifier/speaker system.  Reverse this order when turning power off."

She sent me an email asking if I had any idea why the "power-up" procedure should be done in this specific order. Since I had no idea why, I thought I'd post the question here to see what you guys say about it.

Thanks in advance for any quidance or clarification you can give me to pass on to her.

• Members

Right: when you turn an electronic instrument on or off, it usually goes "pop". You don't want that pop to be fed into the amp and damaging something (most likely the speakers).

It's a good habit to do things in the right order. We've all done it in the wrong order now and then, and it rarely causes a problem, so you don't have to be anal about it unless it's really high-power gear.

BTW, it's probably a "digital piano," unless it's a vintage instrument.  By "electric piano" we generally mean electromechanical.  By "electronic" we generally mean analog electronic -- pretty much all of which pianos were crap.  If it sounds anything like a real piano and is't as heavy as an anvil, it's probably a digital piano. :)

Archived