Yamaha QY-100 users?

lowbasslowbass

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a QY100 and I'm amazed at the quality of sound from such a compact unit!!!! It has the same XG sound engine as my old SW60XG computer sound card. I only wish it had a backlight LCD and at least 2 outs minimum. Other than that, this thing is remarkable!!!

I sometimes use it as a sound module or as a standalone sequencer. I often find my self sitting on the couch make a sequence and using it later as a sample for constructing a beat ( I make rap/hip-hop music). I think I need to hurry up and get a 128MB smartmedia card so I can back up my sequence in case something happens to the internal battery and it loses memory. It probably won't happen but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Hahaha!!!!!

Great little machine.

• Members

I had no idea Yamaha stopped supporting the QY series, including the QY100. Have they just discontinued them because recently. I thought the QY700 was long discontinued until I found out a couple of months ago that you can still buy a new one. Then of course, there's the QY100.

• Members

You may find this a little interesting.

I have a PC Program that will read pretty much all the Styles from different manufactures and convert them to countless formats.

Unfortunately the software does not support QY format, but it does support Midi Files. The benefits of this are pretty huge. For example

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Supposedly, if you use the Afterburner kit off of an old Gameboy Advance, you can use what is called a "front light" to give your QY100 the same look. There's a guy in the Yahoo QY70 group who did it. It's definitely a DIY project.

As a fellow QY100 user, any suggestions for using the QY100 in a live situaiton? Can you store groupings of songs in sets on the Smart Media cards? What size would you recommend? Or is it easier to store the data as an audio file on CD's and play along to the CD in a live situation? Suggestions and experiences in either set up would be appreciated.

• Members

I've had a QY70 and QY100 for some years now. Nice portable little units. Surprisingly good sound. Excellent sequencers. I never really listened to the pre-programmed "styles" and patterns they have. Some of the onboard sounds are kind of weak (e.g. the guitars), but overall they're pretty good.

There's actually a band whose gimmick is that they do all their music with a QY70 -- called Freezepop. Sort of an 80s technopop sort of sound with a female vocalist, reminiscent of Berlin.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi

I have just bought a QY70. These hardware sequencers are new to me and I think they are marvelous. I know the 70 is ancient but I will be using it a lot.There is one thing bothering me though and that is dotted notes. The only way I can work out how to do a dotted minim is to input a semibreve then use a crotchet tied to it. This is ok if a bit fiddly but the problem comes when the dotted note is tied to the previous bar. You can't tie a note twice so you cannot keep the rhythm. Surely there must be something one can do?

• Members

Does anyone know how to convert the songs I create on my QY-100 into a .wav file?

My goal is to be able to put the tracks I create using my QY-100 on my iPod. The knowledge base on Yamaha

• Members

Using the Qy-70 like a foot pedal with da 1/8" phono out going into a Vox AC30 plug-in amps aux 1/8" input thats pluged into one of my guitars inputs....Also, with a set of DJ headphones connected to the phono-out on the Vox mini amp plug-in.....It sounds like i'm actually playing lead guitar with Drums, Bass, & keys....That way i can lay on da couch & troll on HC @ the same time....Sure is easier than walking across da room to turn the big sequencers & big amps on :cool:

• Members

I use this with my ipod to record songs from the QY70 and QY100 as wav files directly into the ipod. Works really well, and sells for about $37:

12.jpg

It has an 1/8" line input, which means all you'd need is a cable with 1/8" male stereo ends, and you're good to go. A nice simple way to record QY70/100 songs on the go. Very simple to use, and it's never given me a problem.

Damn, you beat me to it. :thu:

The TuneTalk stereo adapter set to "line in" is awesome. I record some stuff when a friend and I do some jams. Just edit the stuff you like out of a 3-hour session audio stream and you're done. No compression.

The QY-100 is a sweet little machine. I use it at lunch time almost everyday. Patch in the iPod and jam along, then later put the finished piece back into the iPod via the Belkin.

I was one of those nerd kids which carried a QY10 instead of a Walkman / discman and made music instead of just listening.

Still have my QY10 and take it with me in the tours inside of the country just for the sake of still using it from time to time to practice with its backing tracks or use the tiny keys as a live perc module.

• Members

I look forward to the day that someone makes a next generation QY-like portable workstation. Yamaha was really on the right track. The QY70 and 100 are really great machines.

It would be great if someone took the idea further and made a unit about twice the size of a QY100, with larger keys and a larger internal wave ROM. It would still be portable enough to take anywhere. Something like the Korg Micro X, but with 3 octaves, a sequencer, and capable of running on batteries.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

1) I would like to know kow to upgrade the firmware. The text file that comes with the firmware is written in jibberish.

2) Also Anyone know to use fingered on to change chords on the QY100. I followed the book and cant get it to work.

3) I would like to set a style in a song and change to chords via a MIDI controler with my feet. So I can play an instrument along with the QY100. Anyone done this?

• Members

UPDATE PROCEDURE:

Attention

* Don't touch the PANEL SWITCH on the QY100 while updating.

* Don't turn off the Power on the QY100 while updating.

1. Download the QY100 new version software program.

2. Make the MIDI connection:

(PC => TO HOST on the MIDI Interface (Host Select = PC2) / MIDI OUT on the MIDI

Interface => MIDI IN on the QY100 (Host Select = MIDI).

3. While holding down SW [m7(9)][mM7][m7(11)] on the QY100, switch On the power. (The message "Kernel Mode [MIDI]" will be displayed on the LCD Display.)

4. Play back SMF file of "QY100_v137.mid" with the MIDI sequencer of choice.

6. After updating, the message "Complete" will be displayed. (This will take 18 minutes.)

7. Check "Main ROM V1.37" with the TEST PROGRAM.

8. Execute "factory set" with the TEST PROGRAM.

9. To enter the Test Program; While pressing the [AMP SIMULATOR], [PARAMETER] and

[sONG] keys simultaneously, turn on the power to the main unit.

Fingered mode must be turned on here:

MENU -> Utility

Menu -> Fingered Zone

Turn on and set the hi and lo key for the zone to trigger the chords. You must play at least 3 notes for the chord to be recognized.

The QY100 has been programmed to recognize "jazz" voicings for dominate 7th(13) "rootless" voicings and other "hip" fingerings for upper structure tension chords.

The only way that i believe you could trigger chords from a foot pedal would be with the (Yamaha) MFC10. Not only can you program chords on the foot swtches, it is also possible to do section switching (intro, main, fills etc.)as that is a function built in to the MFC10.

It should go without saying that your data should be backed up before you update and execute the "Factory Set" which is job #18 in the test mode. Without a service manual it is not recommended to try any other tests in the test mode. "Exit" is job #19.

Post back or pm if you have any problems.

• Members

Support Guy, Thanks

I got an error half way thru. The QY100_V137.EXE file I downloaded seems to be currupt. Downloaded it several time more and no joy. Which is probably why I can't read the Txt file. Does any one know where I can get a clean version of the download or the .MID file for the firmware?

• Members

Have you tried a short cable, or slowing down the tempo of the midi file in order not to flood the QY100 with data too fast.

Are you using a VISTA PC, don't know why buy XP just works better for old gear. I recently had a problem with a KORG M1 and simply using XP and the same software worked, yet VISTA would not.

Regards.

Sharp.

Archived