Which is the last and/or best analog Omnichord model?

Screenery

• Members

I have been considering purchasing an Omnichord, mainly the models OM-84, OM-100, OM-200, OM-300.

The latter two models possess MIDI capabilities, I believe. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the digital Omnichords that succeeded the analog ones, but have found no information describing which models are digital and which are analog.

For those with Omnichord experience, which is the best model to get? Which are analog, which are digital? Are they all digitally controlled?

• Members

Yes, that motivated me as well. Run the output through delay and reverb and it sounds just like that.

Good idea, i was planning to try that. Didn't even know Daniel Lanois used it in that way. Have any knowledge of the analog/digital qualities of the 100, 150, 200, or 300?

• Members

My understanding is that the System 2 was the last and best of the analog versions, but you should do the research.

I tried doing the research, but no info was to be found. I already googled each of the models with the word omnichord before it, and the following: Omnichord analog.

The research tells me for sure that the first two Omnis (the second of which is obviously System 2) were definitely analog, but I honestly don't know about the 100/150/200/300, and cannot find a definitive answer. I appreciate your info tho, as that brings me closer to a conclusion.

• Members

The Ominchord evolved into the Suzuki Q-Chord.

index_qchord_optim.gif

I bought my wife one for Christmas some years back and we still have it. Kinda toyish but it's fun. It has these plug-in cartridges that play back popular songs so you can play along with them, along with some basic auto-accompaniment. It has a MIDI out but it's very limited.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I am also wondering which is the best one! Happen to own a Om84 and like it. As you may or may not know, up to 51 chords can be preprogramed and later played back (preferably with a foot switch), while you stroke  the sonic strings and do the melody line. My question is: do the 100, 150, 200, 250 and the 300 models all have the same capability? Seems I read somewhere that the 200 can store 80 chords. I take that to mean the chords can be entered into memory and then played back while doing a melody line. Hopefully the models up to om300 have the same chord-storing and playback functions but I'm not sure. Anybody have a word of wisdom on this?

Archived