so, ipad huh

zzzxtreme

• Members

thinking of getting an ipad2 or ipad mini to run softsynths. i do have a usb midi controller. I'm not satisfied with the organs on my 90's roland. which ipad app is good for organs/e-keys? hammonds, transistor, many kinds of organs, e-pianos ,rhodes, wurtz, 

does anyone here use ipad for live performance?

• Members

zzzxtreme wrote:

thinking of getting an ipad2 or ipad mini to run softsynths. i do have a usb midi controller. I'm not satisfied with the organs on my 90's roland. which ipad app is good for organs/e-keys? hammonds, transistor, many kinds of organs, e-pianos ,rhodes, wurtz, 

does anyone here use ipad for live performance?

An iPad is not the route I would consider for a live sound module. For one there are very few synth apps that I've been impressed with in terms of sound quality. Most seem pretty toy'sh. 2nd... as someone who plays live with both hardware synths an racks in cases the idea of using the midi and audio out connections of a device running iOS6 or iOS7 doesn't strike me with the greatest factor in reliability. I would hate mid-song to have to troubleshoot an app hung up or a connection somewhere. I have an iPad mini. It's a great browser and ebook reader. I'm not looking at it as a reliable sound source outside my home for the reasons stated above. What happens when you arrive at your gig and power up your iPad and it's says 'Update Available' yet you have no WiFi to be able to complete the upgrade. This actually happened recently with a Mackie app that connects to a WiFi mixer. 

iPad... fun for home... but not ready for prime time concerning professional gigs IMO. 

• Members

wheresgrant3 wrote:

someone who plays live with both hardware synths an racks in cases the idea of using the midi and audio out connections of a device running iOS6 or iOS7 doesn't strike me with the greatest factor in reliability. I would hate mid-song to have to troubleshoot an app hung up or a connection somewhere. I have an iPad mini. It's a great browser and ebook reader. I'm not looking at it as a reliable sound source outside my home for the reasons stated above. What happens when you arrive at your gig and power up your iPad and it's says 'Update Available' yet you have no WiFi to be able to complete the upgrade. This actually happened recently with a Mackie app that connects to a WiFi mixer. 

I wouldn't gig with it as my only sound source. But if the OP has organs and EPs in his board, I don't see a problem with adding an iPad for better ones, since he still has the ones in his board for emergency fallback.

As for the "update available" problem, you should be able to decline the update and keep going. But the best thing to do at a gig is put the iPad in Airplane mode (no wifi, no 3g/4g), which prevents all kinds of possible interruption with one simple setting.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

now that it's been a while, did u decide to use an iPad for live work?  what apps worked or did not work for you?  

I tried the organs in Garage Band, running the synth organ patch thru the iPad retina, then send the sound from the iPad back thru the synth... it really thickens up the sound.  always looking for an iPad synth to make the XW orgnas sound like a real B3  ha ha ha.

Archived