It's Time For a New Groovebox

Grooveboxer

• Members

I'm looking to get back into making electronic music after a painfully long hiatus due to, well, life, let's just say. It's something I always enjoyed doing but haven't really made anything since I was 19 and back then it was just recording random jams on my old MC303 and Yamaha SU-10 (So yeah, do the math.) Suffice to say things have moved on quite a lot since then and I have some serious catching up to do!

I've looked into the various packages (Ableton etc) but it's extremely daunting. Firstly because of the high learning curve. Secondly, before I can even to figure out how use the software I'd also have get additional equipment, a decent computer, audio interface, midi controller and so on. Thirdly, I'm extremely impatient and would rather just get straight to it and, finally, I've always preferred jamming on boxes, twiddling knobs and faders, patching stuff in and out to sitting at a computer pissing around with waveforms

• Members

Grooveboxer wrote:

I'm looking to get back into making electronic music after a painfully long hiatus due to, well, life, let's just say. It's something I always enjoyed doing but haven't really made anything since I was 19 and back then it was just recording random jams on my old MC303 and Yamaha SU-10 (So yeah, do the math.) Suffice to say things have moved on quite a lot since then and I have some serious catching up to do!

Other pieces of kit I'm looking at include:

• Korg Electribe (not sure which one would suit best but they sure sound nice and meaty)

• Yamaha RS7000 (looks like it does it all, but the synth sounds sound pretty weak)

• Teenage Engineering OP-1 (found out about this by acccident but looks crazy)

• Korg Kaosillator Pro (not sure it can do everything I want but it sure looks fun and quick to jam with, plus I've seen lots of people using it in tandem with other products, e.g. Roland boxes, Electribes, Ableton setups, etc. so it must be pretty flexible) 

Any advice, insight, encouragement or tips you all might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. 

i have an korg electribe MX...it's pretty good...wish the reverb was better..wish i could append patterns like my 1986 yamaha rx5....:smiley-angry009: overall it's okay...would be nice if it could mixdown to it's own SD card.... also would be good it it would record velocity info....time for korg to update i think!

re Korg Kaosillator Pro you cannot input via midi keyboard...deal breaker for me.

Archived