Should I just wait for the next wave of mini synths?

scramiflu

• Members

I noticed a lot of the recommended mini synths out there like the micron and korg micro are at least 4 years old since first released. Most of them have compatibility issues with DAWS in terms of noise and such. Should I just hold off for something better to be released soon or grab an existing one now?

Are we due for a new wave of mini synths? Is there anywhere online I can go for news and rumors about upcoming mini synths?

Thanks,

scramiflu

• Members

scramiflu wrote:

I noticed a lot of the recommended mini synths out there like the micron and korg micro are at least 4 years old since first released. Most of them have compatibility issues with DAWS in terms of noise and such. Should I just hold off for something better to be released soon or grab an existing one now?

Are we due for a new wave of mini synths? Is there anywhere online I can go for news and rumors about upcoming mini synths?

Thanks,

scramiflu

Korg microKORG Web site Meta data states "State-of-the-art analog modeling and multi-band vocoding are finally available in a compact, portable instrument..."  It is actually over ten years old. :smileywink:

You need to consider the risk any new synth may not sound the way you want. The microKORG is a good example as some still prefer it to the newer models, which may explain the extended life and makeover colour options...

The microKORG XL, has a different style and interface to the microKORG, so that is another risk if you don't like the changes and if the original synth gets pulled..

Consider how things sound first and maybe buy now and resolve the issues by changing the set up and reliance on full DAW.

Hard to tell if the synth type you refer to will be refreshed again anything like the current rate of mono analog releases... 

I say buy now if you like a synth, although NAMM may have some new gear...

• Members

I think it's great that companies have taken on the project of creating mini synths but, admiting it's a first world problem, I don't think there is a very good selection out there. Plenty of small midis but not a lot of micro synths to choose from...unless I don't know how to find them all?

Archived