analog oscillator tuning

SoundwaveLove

• Members

SoundwaveLove wrote:

Is it an accepted practice that analog synths oscilators will always be a little off from eachother? like +/-2 cents?

I've got mine really close but I almost alwways hear some phaseing.

no! the gubment will come to your door!! :D

seriously though, like the other guys have mentioned, these circuits tend to drift even thermally.

Some synths use a hard synch (pro one for example)  to lock the Oscillators together - but honestly, I find most of the time the phasing/chorusing to be part of the phatness (sort of like the courses on a harpsichord or even a 12 string guitar...getting them too "in tune" i think dries out the sound)

It's funny, I'm on the other side of the fence maybe, I'm used to older boards and am looking at the newer analog stuff and am a little leary of the digitally controlled analog osc like on the dave smith (it may be unfounded, but I'm used to the drift)

here's a BBC program from a few years back where the intro alks a little about that very issue with ENo (the whole program is worth a listen)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/outoftune.shtml

• Members

Depends on the particular synth. I have had E-MU modular and MOTM modular oscillators that I can set to track with no beating over 6 or 7 octaves.

Setting the tracking is key. Then tune the oscillators to each other at a high pitch where they are more sensitive to beating. The lower octaves will fall into line (provided you have the tracking set well.)

Archived