My Hohner Cembalet

Stabby

• Members

Any idea how to know if this works though? I connect the DIN plug to an amplifier's REC/PLAY but all I hear is a very loud buzz. Can't hear any notes.

Anyway, this is possibly the first electric harpsichord so it has some historic value no doubt. From what I've heard this instrument is next to impossible to find.

• Members

Found out what's wrong. Here's the deal. Each note in the cembalet has an adhesive pad that plucks the note. 95% of these are worn off or simply gone. Only 2 good pads are left which means only 2 notes work.

The buzz was caused by a bad connection of the ground (pretty much a bad repair job done earlier), but this can be easily fixed. All I have to do is replace all the pads and then everything works.

Can anyone tell me if this is easy to do and where I can get the necessary parts?

• Members

I found some more information. The cembalet uses small pieces of foam rubber to pluck the reeds. They have all crumbled (all the crumbled pieces are inside the cabinet). So all I need to do is replace those. Can I just buy some foam rubber and cut them in the right size?

Also, most of the reeds have corrosed at the top, some have even broken off. Doesn't that affect the pitch of the notes? I don't have the experience to know how to handle that. Any idea how I can get replacement reeds? (either by buying them or having them made at the right specifications)

I think eventually I'll try to replace all the reeds and springs too. Might take a couple years before I get to that.

• Members

The pieces that pluck the reeds are not foam rubber after all! Wikipedia said it's foam rubber and a Cembalet N owner confirms that, but it seems the Cembalet I is completely different from the N.

Upon close inspection of the pulverised pieces, my conclusion is that it's leather. The surface looks and feels a lot like leather (black color) while the inside is brown. I remember when the leather of my watch started pulverising and it's exactly that.

These leather pieces strike the reeds from below (the pianet's pads strike from above). It's obvious that this is a very early design of the electric harpsichord, a design that's different from later Cembalets, so it seems I do have something quite special in my hands.

Still, I'd like to know if it's even possible to get replacement reeds first. I don't feel like going through all this trouble if the broken reeds are irreplacable.

• Members

I found a guy who makes pluckers and dampeners for the Cembalet, so everything should be alright.

Also, would it be a good idea to replace the output with a 1/4 inch jack output? It needs a guitar amp anyway, so it would be better than the current DIN plug.

• Members

I think the Cembalet in the video is a Cembalet N. There's quite a difference in sound. Mine has tubes, while the N is solid state. It's a little more common, mine is next to impossible to find :)

I don't know yet. Once restored I might either keep it or sell it. It sure is a beauty. Depends on how much I can ask for it.

• Members

Meanwhile, enjoy
Rockin Judith
on her fully functional Cembalet. I like how it sounds even through a camcorder mic. I can imagine it would sound great recorded directly.

Here's some direct recordings:

http://www.esnips.com/web/HOHNERCEMBALETN

Check out those by Michel Ramos. Sounds amazing.

I can only wonder how much it is worth. A Cembalet I is next to impossible to find. A Cembalet I in this condition with the original legs is even more rare.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I've been restoring this thing for the past week and it's going great. So far I've replaced all the pluckers and dampeners and I've cleaned the keys. I also took out the DIN-output and replaced it with a jack.

The tube pre-amp has to be looked at since it doesn't amplify the sound. I've done some testing by taking the signal before the pre-amp and by increasing the gain on my mixer I get a good and clear sound. It sounds great :thu:

After that, all that's left to be done is tuning, which will probably be the hardest part. Once finished, it will be used on stage by this band:

http://www.myspace.com/thebobbyjamesfamily

(the keyboard player is my cousin, not me)

ThJuJ.jpg

Archived