long wait for yamaha motif XF successor....

zzzxtreme

• Members

Each to his own. I had no feeling for the Motif so I got a Kronos instead. They're like chalk and cheese. I found the Motif to be all bits and pieces whereas thr Kronos is pretty straightforward. You can probably do everything on the Kronos that you can on the Motif. It has a couple of very powerful synths in HD-1 and AL-1, never mind the rest of them. Always worth another look.

• Members

I would like to have one, and only one enhanced functionality in the next Motif:

A complete set of multi-effects for each of the 16 parts.  No more of this "x" number of insert effects (3, 5, or 8, or whatever).

I want single voices/programs to sound exactly the same in song mode as they do in single mode.  And I want 16 of them at once.

The Virus TI has been able to do this since it was first released in 2005.

Stop selling me keyboards with 16 multi-parts that don't include 16 multi-effects units!

• Members

I want single voices/programs to sound
exactly
the same in song mode as they do in single mode.  And I want 16 of them at once.

The Virus TI has been able to do this since it was first released in 2005.

Stop selling me keyboards with 16 multi-parts that don't include 16 multi-effects units!

If a keyboard has 16 multitimbral parts and, say, 80 effects blocks (16 parts x 5 FX each), people will just complain they can't add 10 effects each to 8 parts. It's a vicious cycle. The only way to solve it is to make oscillator, filter, envelope, LFO, and DSP allocation completely dynamic (like in a DAW), and when the user runs out of DSP, they're done, whether it's 50 stripped down parts or 3 gigantic massive parts.

This whole concept of 16 parts/16 channels/16 tracks is so antiquated. The Fantom-G got the concept right, but they were too early

• Members

I think they may put in an SSD with streaming. Like the Kronos, at its core, the Motif XF is linux based, so the infrastructure is kind of there. That would eliminate the 2 GB limit on additional samples. I think they might still keep a flash card slot, though, as it is convenient for pros to be able to fly to a gig with all their custom sounds and plug them into an XF (or now even MOXF) supplied in their backline.

I hope they find a way to build in some kind of clonewheel engine for live use, instead of addressing that only by bundling the YC -3B VST.

I'd like them to build in some of the great Tyros AEM sounds. They are not designed to be user-editable, which is why I think they have drawn the line and kept them out of the Motif line which is all about user editing of everything. But now that Roland has their Jupiter/Integra models that mix editable and largely non-editable ("SuperNatural Acoustic") sounds in the same box, maybe that will prompt Yamaha to realize they don't have to keep all non-editable sounds out of the Motif.

It might be nice if they found a way to build in the functionality of the old PLG150VL (acoustic modeling) and PLG150AN (virtual analog) cards that they stopped supporting after the Motif ES. There was some great tech there, they just didn't integrate smoothly with the rest of the environment. It would be nice to have something like PLG150DX (FM) too... it's kind of funny that Kronos can emulate a DX7 better than any current Yamaha.

• Members

Same old story, year after year.  Yamaha has really dropped the ball on so many fronts.

They have FM, AN, VL, FDSP, and probably others I'm forgetting, all sitting idle.

I also agree with kbw about the Virus and its effects - at least someone got it right.

My biggest complaint about Yamaha though, is its inability/refusal to implement release velocity in its boards and matrix.  Tired of beating that dead horse though.  I started buying other boards with better features years ago.  Too bad.

• Members

An advanced FM and formant synthesis engine should be included in the new Motif. It should have been there already tbh.

I prefer the Yamaha's user interface to Kurzweil's and don't like the Windows PC-ish feel of the Kronos. I like the sound of the Yamaha AWM more than the others' too. But because there's no FM, I'm stuck, I can't wow the world with unique sound design on a Yamaha Motif ;-). FM opens the horizons, even the simplest DX7 invokes that feeling of unbounded space to explore.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

A complete set of multi-effects for each of the 16 parts.  No more of this "x" number of insert effects (3, 5, or 8, or whatever).

I want single voices/programs to sound exactly the same in song mode as they do in single mode.  And I want 16 of them at once.

You just described the Roland Integra 7. Granted it's not a "workstation", but It does exactly what you've described.