Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently saw someone on CL advertising a Roland D-50 for either $1200 or $1500 - I don't remember the exact amount, but it was way over the top. I was tempted to email them and give them a reality check, but you never know who you are dealing with and might not want them to have your email address. I did that once with a girl who was selling something for way too much, but she was very nice and thanked me for enlightening her to the market value of the item.

Comment

Yeah there's all sorts of nuts on Craigslist.

I recently saw an ad for a Korg DS-8 for 70 dollars. I liked the Vintage Synth demos on it and I thought, why not, I might flip it later for the same amount and have some fun with it. So I e-mailed the guy to ask if he still had it (the e-mail was 2 days old at the time and can be seen http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1405126487.html (not pasting into this thread because it has the guy's phone number).

Before I put the rest of the conversation in here omitting the e-mail addresses, just notice that my e-mail starts with "christianrock" as well - I guess that's how he figured out I was a Christian and decided to write some hate speech...

Anyway, his first reply:

like i say in the ad. one of the keys is broke but still functions for the most part. i am asking 125 for it but i will take 100.

To which I replied, slightly annoyed at him, not expecting to hear anything back:

Sorry, I replied to the ad where you were asking 70 dollars for it... didn't know inflation was that bad.

So he writes back:

i didnt know it was worth a bit more than 70 dollars .

Well I'm still determined to see if maybe he will take 50 dollars (the key problem seemed like a loose spring since the key itself worked but it didn't spring back). I mean, the guys not going to sell this anyway, so I might as well give him 40 or 50 bucks and take it off his hands. So I write:

Well with a broken functioning key and without the original joystick, I don't think it's worth even 70. See Ebay for auctions on similarly damaged items, they'll fetch from 25-50 dollars usually, unless the synth itself is worth at least a few hundred dollars.

Thanks

To which he goes nuclear on me (note that religion was never brought up in this conversation):

yeah . youre right . it isnt worth crap. so i will sell it to you for .50 . I've come to the realisation that its the honest thing to do. Jesus would probably give it away for free, right . So yeah just come on over and its yours. I'm sorry ive tried to rip you off. I need to get back into a good church so I wont make these kind of mistakes again . know of any good ones ? preferably with music equipment people have donated like they should . i'm ready to play Petra and Stryper songs with you. Oh yeah, a creed too. Thanks for telling me like it is !

Ryan

Kind of reminds me of that transaction between plaid_emu and the canadian guy that went really sour after a couple of e-mails.

After all this, I'm still laughing, I don't really need that synth anyway, but that just shows the type of people that you might run to when you buy stuff off of Craigslist....
      http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
        View Post

Yeah there's all sorts of nuts on Craigslist. *snip*

Looks like a good opportunity to practice the principle of tolerance CR.....

Of course, I should just mind my own business.....

[/soapbox]
        HW Synths/Keys:QS Plus Piano w/Vintage Card, CLP-820, Kurz PC2X, Wavestation SR, Matrix 1000, TX81Z, MKS-50, Alpha Juno 2 , Korg TR-Rack, EMU Proteus 2K, ESQ-1, TG_77

SW-Synths: B4II, Elektrik Piano, Akoustik Piano, MinimougeVA, FM-8, Pro-53, Massive, Absynth, OP-X, SuperWave P8, and about a zillion others

Hardware-Other: MOTU Express XT, WaMi Rack 24, M-120, Behringer Virtualizer, Behringer PMP2000, American Audio Passive PA speakers

SW: CWPA 9.0, Sonar HS 6.0

Comment

Alright, move along... Move along...
          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by augerinn
            View Post

Looks like a good opportunity to practice the principle of tolerance CR.....

Of course, I should just mind my own business.....

[/soapbox]

If you would be so kind to point out where I was intolerant...
            http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast
              View Post

This one is good - 20 "sets" of 5 guitar strings.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...413081746.html

That's probably where Keith Richards gets his strings from.

I wonder though if they started out as 6 string sets but this guy keeps snapping his low E so he buys another set, replaces it and puts the rest away (remember when daddario used to sell string sets with 2 high Es cause that would usually be the first to snap?). Or are they actually 5 string sets?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse
                View Post

FS: 1968 Dallas-Arbiter-England Fuzz Face - $1200

Date: 2009-10-08, 10:27PM PDT

Reply to: (deleted)

This 1968 Vintage Dallas-Arbiter-England Fuzz Face is the real thing. Pots marked 10 68. The 41 year old NKT-275 germanium transistors sing! All original! I thought I would never have to sell this pedal. Fee shipping in the USA.

What am I missing here

Comment

$1200

Comment

Here's one from our area. $3200 for a Bassman amp. This guy is a local guitar builder. I like how it's "all original" except that 3 speakers have been replaced and the amp has been recovered. And the whole attitude about "tire kickers" and $100 to try it out if you don't want to buy it. A-hole... I don't know what a 1960 amp is worth, but the attitude of this guy would make me pass it buy even if it was a bargain.

http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/1412970128.html
                    My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Moog LP
                    My Band: http://www.bksband.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dan88z
                      View Post

Here's one from our area. $3200 for a Bassman amp. This guy is a local guitar builder. I like how it's "all original" except that 3 speakers have been replaced and the amp has been recovered. And the whole attitude about "tire kickers" and $100 to try it out if you don't want to buy it. A-hole... I don't know what a 1960 amp is worth, but the attitude of this guy would make me pass it buy even if it was a bargain.

http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/1412970128.html

Wow....that's pretty amazing. The guy's a piece of work. Hope he finds his peace someday.
                      Live:
                      Nord Stage EX Compact, Korg M50-73, Digitech RP500, Epiphone Les Paul 60s Gold Top reissue, Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer

Studio:
                      Roland RD-700, MOTU Traveler, Roland JV-1010, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, Sonar 8.5 PE, EZ Drummer, numerous soft synth toys, Windows XP

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
                        View Post

Kind of reminds me of that transaction between plaid_emu and the canadian guy that went really sour after a couple of e-mails.....

HA HA! Good ole Brian Rabey, THE authority on Jethro Tull!

It didn't even take a couple of emails before things went sour. The very first one he sent me was scathing.... prattling on about how terrible I was just because I didn't want to ship outside of the US.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu
                          View Post

I SERIOUSLY TRUST GUITAR CENTER AND THEIR EMPLOYEES MORE THAN THESE LITTLE "FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED" OUTFITS!

I hear you man.

I got taken when I was a teenager at one of them when they sold me a broken DSS-1 for twice what it should've cost me. When I came back to complain about the busted disk drive, the sleazeball lied and said it was an easy fix (at that time, it certainly was not) to just order one from anywhere. I should've raised hell and demanded they fix it or refund me, but I was a dumb kid. The thing ended up costing me about $650 in 1996 currency and sort of soured me on "mom and pops".

That might not be the only case if that was the only time I'd had a bad experience, but there are more.

Comment

This may be legit for all I know but...

Hammond B3 modified Guitar/Harmonica amp

?

I like the "description below" and no description whatever.
                            Hi Mom!

Comment

Not CL, but...

"See my other offerings: GENTLY USED TOOTHPICKS! VINTAGE CHEWING GUM!"
                              ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gifford
                                View Post

This may be legit for all I know but...

Hammond B3 modified Guitar/Harmonica amp

?

I like the "description below" and no description whatever.

yeah, but if that's a modified A100 reverb amp, it's pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X