Roland EP-7...Is it any good?

Noise...

• Members

I found one of these for sale. I'm looking for a better keyboard than my Casio WK-110, so it caught my interest. I know Roland keyboards are generally good quality, but I can't find much info on this one.

Can anyone tell me about the Roland EP-7?

• Members

The EP-7's have been around for quite some time, maybe 15 years? I bought a floor demo at GC in '97 for $400 and used it until upgrading to a Yamaha P80 in '07 when I started doing a solo act. The EP-7 was OK for band work...plus I also used a CX-3 in the band...but for a solo thing I needed 88 weighted keys which the P-80 has, and better tone...the EP-7 keys are semi-weighted. I did about 70 road gigs a year with the EP-7...no problems with it. It was light and easy to load. But the sound was not as good as the Yamaha "P" series stuff...but then the EP-7 was a lot cheaper to buy and much lighter in weight. It had L/R 1/4" outputs, headphones out, ...also midi. Can't remeber if it had any other outputs.

• Members

Being not much of a gear-snob and having had to make do with far worse, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, nevermind a single one of my 10 digits.

Shoot a little higher. There's better stuff out there for not a lot of cash.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
They're cheap for a reason... wink.gif It's your choice of course. I just wouldn't. Ever. I'd rather save up/work more overtime and buy something good.
Why exactly do you hate them?

From some reviews I've read it seems to have fairly nice action and a good piano sound. idn_smilie.gif

I just don't think there are other options for weighted keyboards with decent sound in the sub-$100 category.

Also, this will just be my effected piano - I'm going to buy an actual piano for just the normal, clean piano sound. The EP7 will be hooked up to a full pedalboard of delay and modulation pedals. I'm also going to be buying an Alesis Micron for my main synth.

Do you have any other suggestions that would be better than the EP7 for a similar price (under $100)?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by -Anti- View Post
...this will just be my effected piano - I'm going to buy an actual piano for just the normal, clean piano sound. The EP7 will be hooked up to a full pedalboard of delay and modulation pedals. I'm also going to be buying an Alesis Micron for my main synth.

Do you have any other suggestions that would be better than the EP7 for a similar price (under $100)?
Umm...

Why would want an "effected" piano? But since you do, I guess under 100 bucks is an excellent price for the EP7... which you are going to "effect" anyway. freak.gifconfused.gif

However, if you were buying it for more traditional reasons - like, to actually play acoustic-sounding piano tones... then no - it's not a good deal no matter how cheap it is, 'cause a 10 year digital piano just doesn't cut it any more. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GigMan View Post
Umm...

Why would want an "effected" piano? But since you do, I guess under 100 bucks is an excellent price for the EP7... which you are going to "effect" anyway. freak.gifconfused.gif

However, if you were buying it for more traditional reasons - like, to actually play acoustic-sounding piano tones... then no - it's not a good deal no matter how cheap it is, 'cause a 10 year digital piano just doesn't cut it any more. icon_lol.gif
Does no one think creatively anymore? Why WOULDN'T you want a piano you could manipulate with effects? Why WOULDN'T you want to use delay here and there, or maybe some modulation?

As for it being 10 years old, when was production stopped on the EP7? From what I can tell, they first came out in 1990, but I haven't seen anything showing the end of production. I'm curious to see just how long they were made.

Can anyone who doesn't like these please explain why? So far there have been a few posts saying it's bad, but no explanations on why it's bad.

• Members
Does no one think creatively anymore? Why WOULDN'T you want a piano you could manipulate with effects? Why WOULDN'T you want to use delay here and there, or maybe some modulation?

Because most people buy a digital piano to get an accurate recreation of an acoustic piano.

As for it being 10 years old, when was production stopped on the EP7? From what I can tell, they first came out in 1990, but I haven't seen anything showing the end of production. I'm curious to see just how long they were made.

Can anyone who doesn't like these please explain why? So far there have been a few posts saying it's bad, but no explanations on why it's bad.
Why they might say it's "bad" is that it's not as realistic-sounding of a piano as the more current models.
s

• Members
Why they might say it's "bad" is that it's not as realistic-sounding of a piano as the more current models.
s
If I wanted spot-on piano, I'd just play an acoustic piano.

I'm basically just looking for a decent digital piano that I can run into a pedalboard. My current Casio sounds obscenely digital...it's *usable* but I wouldn't want to record or gig with it. Even with effects masking the sound a bit.

Is the EP-7 going to be just as bad, or will it be an improvement over the Casio?

• Members

That's actually pretty difficult wink.gif Given that everyone wants something different from their digital piano, all the stuff I hate, might be exactly what you need. I'm sure many players get on perfectly well with their EP7 but for my needs, the thing would be totally unsuitable... it would just "feel wrong" to play, (compared to the actions I like), and the sound just wouldn't be there... I've never got on well with Roland pianos, the way they work doesn't suit my playing.

But then, YOU might love it smile.gif Just make sure you play/hear it before parting with any money.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
That's actually pretty difficult wink.gif Given that everyone wants something different from their digital piano, all the stuff I hate, might be exactly what you need. I'm sure many players get on perfectly well with their EP7 but for my needs, the thing would be totally unsuitable... it would just "feel wrong" to play, (compared to the actions I like), and the sound just wouldn't be there... I've never got on well with Roland pianos, the way they work doesn't suit my playing.

But then, YOU might love it smile.gif Just make sure you play/hear it before parting with any money.
I'll definitely make sure I play it first.

As for the action, I can't see it being anything but better than my Casio. Weighted action of any sort should be an upgrade over "these keys are stuck into a sponge" action. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Anti-

View Post

As for the action, I can't see it being anything but better than my Casio. Weighted action of any sort should be an upgrade over "these keys are stuck into a sponge" action. icon_lol.gif

On this you are absolutely correct - the action on the Roland EP-x series pianos was not bad... not as good as the weighted feel of today's digital pianos (Yamaha S90, or P-80/90/120 or Roland RD-700SX...) but definitely better than your Casio. thumb.gif

• Members
On this you are absolutely correct - the action on the Roland EP-x series pianos was not bad... not as good as the weighted feel of today's digital pianos (Yamaha S90, or P-80/90/120 or Roland RD-700SX...) but definitely better than your Casio. thumb.gif
That alone is worth the upgrade then. icon_lol.gif

If it at least sounds decent I'll be happy.

However, I contacted the seller on Thursday and still haven't gotten a reply, so I'm not all that sure I'll even be able to buy it. idn_smilie.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I recently bought an EP-7. (I hardly ever frequent this forum, btw, just dropped in...) Mine has a few keys that don't sound (but the "dead" seems to move around a bit) and two that sound LOUD- but once I sort that out, I will be pleased with the board. 'Course, I only paid $40 for it... I am having trouble getting that sorted- does anyone know of a fool-proof method of fixing that? I have sprayed contact cleaner on the triggers till I was blue in the face...

Keys are truly weighted- I mean, really weighted- there is a little piece of metal under each one. Action is better than Casio and Yammie cheapies, but will NEVER impress a pianist. Return springs are light leaf springs- if one comes off (they hardly ever break, it seems) you can take the key off and re-install the key, the spring tends to stay in place otherwise, rather than fall out and get lost.

Voices are pretty good, but limited. I personally think the piano voice is passable, and lots of fun with "reverb" on. Certainly better than the piano voices on my Ensoniq SQ-1 and a little (full size keys, tho) piano and midi keyboard I was given. I like the organ voice, too. The other three- not much appeal to me, but time will tell.

Yes, they have stereo output jacks, and two stereo headphone jacks. I find that to be a very good feature- allows me to run the board to my Digitech RP-7 (guitar) multi-effects unit, and access things like Leslie-type rotary speaker effects- I wrote a "B3" patch that even gives me first-note organ swell like a B3 and others.

Overall, I like the ep-7, although I have limited use with mine. I personally would not have paid $100 for it, but I am cheap- IMHO, that's not a bad price for one.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Action is what I'd call semi-weighted. Pretty basic in function but would make a good backup. Suprisingly heavy for a 76 key board.

I personally wouldnt pay over about $150US for these, theyre pretty outdated. In saying that, I totally understand the 'affected tone' concept - I use a hardwire DL8 delay/looper and various other pedals in live performance.

• Members

It's surprisingly heavy, as Jean14 said, because at that time they build entry level stuff to last.
Sound was in many ways better that what Casio offered at that time, and we are speaking of the beginning of 90's. But it's absolutely out of place sound-wise, compared to today standards.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Revisiting this forum and this thread: I didn't realize I had this thing for three and one-half years. Update on mine: The power input plug broke, and when I called Roland, they sent me replacement, free. Took me months to get around to replacing it, and the GLUE THAT HOLDS THE WEIGHTS TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE KEYS HAS BEGUN TO DRIP, ALLOWING THE WEIGHTS TO FALL OUT AND THE GLUE TO STICK THE KEYS TOGETHER. So far, the only thing I have found that will desolve the glue is auto brake parts cleaner, which also desolves the plastic keys- not good. Will call Rowland tomorrow (Monday) to ask them.

But if I am not able to fix this problem, I will have to trash the whole shootin' match. Kind of a shame that Roland would use such cheesy glue.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Looking at the commenbts, a lot of people don't like the EP-7.  My wife had an EP-7 which she played for about 15 years.  We had a traditional fiddle tune band; Celtic, Applaihian, etc.  We weren't professional, but we had about 4 or 5 paid gigs a year plus may 15 or 20 jam sessions.  One of the printed circuit boards gave out and while we were getting it repaired we bought her a higher end Roland with 88 keys.  We gave the EP-7 to our grandson so he could take music lessons.  I'm actually on the web today to see if I can find a used EP-7 as they are not made anymore.  We are both 69 and the Roland she has now is getting too heavy for us.  The EP-7 is light weight, but still sounds like a piano.  She's been playing piano for 64 years, played for her first wedding at 16 and has been the church pianist at two different chruches we've belonged to.  She prefers her Mason Hamlin, but the EP-7 is very portable.  Even so if it didn't have a good piano sound she wouldn't have a thing to do with it.

Archived