ARP Odyssey

• Members

The only store in Chicagoland that I could find that had one was the GC store downtown on Halsted. Last month I drove all the way down there to try it out, and the one they had on the sales floor was busted. Totally annoying. But I did find out that the mini-keys (or reduced-size keys) are really too small for my fingers and hands. And $999 for a synth without patch memory just isn't practical for me. But I do wish I'd been able to properly audition the sound of it.

• Members

Nothing to add to the post, just a little reminiscing. I was very young when the original ARP Odyssey came out, but still very musically driven. I got ahold of a promotional sound sheet from Arp. Remember those things that you tore out of a magazine that had a spot to place a quarter so that you could play it on a turn table? Well apparently I kept repeatedly trying to play it on my step father's obscenely expensive turntable (which played through an equally obscene system) despite being forbidden to do so numerous times. I remember when rap music, specifically scratching, came to be a thing, that I should be credited for its invention as I'd been inadvertently doing that with his turntable for years. But man how I wanted that synthesizer, just from listening to that sound sheet.

A little more on topic; I can't believe they wouldn't put some sort of patch memory on there. That's like putting an unstable tuning system in there just because that's the way it used to be!

Archived