What to look for in a keyboard?

cgibsong002

• Members

I'm posting here on behalf of my girlfriend who is looking for her first keyboard. She played classical piano for many years but now has no room for her old piano and needs a portable alternative. So obviously the focus is on replicating a real piano rather than something like a synth. I know she needs a full set of keys, good weight, etc.. don't know much else that would be important to look for otherwise.

Budget around 400, new or used, can you offer any suggestions? 

• Members

Yes, of course we both know the budget is modest.. but just looking to make sure the money is spent wisely. I don't know if there are certain features that can or can't be had in that price range..?

Very stupid question I'm sure but sustain? I thought these were all digital. Sorry, keys are one instrument i haven't purchased yet :/

• Members

cgibsong002 wrote:

Yes, of course we both know the budget is modest.. but just looking to make sure the money is spent wisely. I don't know if there are certain features that can or can't be had in that price range..?

Very stupid question I'm sure but sustain? I thought these were all digital. Sorry, keys are one instrument i haven't purchased yet :/

Not at all a stupid question. Costco had these Casios on display at a very good price. I pecked at 'em and the Grand sounds were surprisingly authentic. Then someone here mentioned a lack of sustain which I went back and checked. Sure enough, dead on.

See, digital or not, these piano sounds (with notable upscale exceptions) are samples; recordings of some mythical fine instrument. What happens is these samples have to be reproduceable by cheap electronics, limited memory, and insufficient audio horsepower.  Sounds are detailed to have a prominent attack ( gets the super deep chops effect that few have developed ) which doesn't leave much audio headroom for the resulting fortissimo sustain. No sweat, compression. Volume goes down, sustain rolls off unnaturally to save memory. This is all very good for most pop music where the effect of a piano playing is all that's required. Not good for Classical solo piano.

Try before you buy.

Archived