besides the real deal, what's the best keyboard for rhodes/wurly sounds

• Members

hey all

i'm looking to get the EP sounds covered in my home studio... my current keyboards are Nord Piano 1 and Korg Triton LE. I also have a Nord Electro 2 Rack

I like the grand pianos on the nord, but feel the rhodes and wurlys could be better. For hammond sounds i use the electro rack (triggered by the korg) with a Neo Ventilator 2

I'm thinking of getting a Korg SV1 just for the EP sounds. To me, that's where this board really shines (from what i've heard... haven't had a chance to play one), and i like the knobs etc for tweaking.

Any other suggestions?

I know many seem to like the Nord EP's, but when i hear demos of the SV1 it just seems to have that extra something.

Thanks

• Members

I haven't tried that Velvet thing, but I have tried the SV1. And I own a Yamaha CP4.

I can't tell you how GOOD the Wurlitzer 200 sounds in it are.

Like OMFG. Mind blowing. And the action is outta sight. The amp models are great! Do you like "Since When" by 54-40? I put together a performance with my CP4 that *nails* it. You'll know what song it is from the first note!

Wes

• Members

thanks for the input everyone

i went a played an sv1 the other day.... while i thought it was a good instrument, the one i played had a few keybed issues which turned me off a bit

i came home and spend a lot of time with the nord, tweaking etc... i think i'm just going to try to make it work

phil: does velvet work with logic, or is it pt only?... i was looking for an hardware instrument, but i'm always open to alternatives if they're good

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the organ and Rhodes sounds I get from my PC3K8 although I've heard them slated by some. I actually like every sound that comes out of it, on the other hand programming can be somewhat of a nightmare at least initially. Where there's one control on most units, Kurz tend to have 4 or more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

All I can say is, if you LIKE the NE2's acoustic pianos and don't like it's Rhodes or Wurli, then we just aren't going to agree. At all. The acoustic piano on my NE2 sucks (and yeah, I tried them all). I vastly prefer the acoustic piano on my 32MB 1997 Ensoniq MR76. Vastly! The NE2 is good enough for 1-board rehearsals, but ugh. What a honky, sucky piano. Meanwhile, the Rhodes are decent, if not my favorites, and I really like the Wurli on the NE2.

While it's a bit less authentic, I really like my favorite Rhodes on my CP4. What I really love about it is the dynamics and musicality -- way better than the NE2, and not just because of the better action on the CP4 (though that sure does help.) The sad thing on the CP4 is that the Wurli isn't set up so that you can control the tremolo amount using the MOD wheel, nor can you control Rhodes stereo vibrato amount that way. But those aren't deal killers for me, just nuisances/annoyances.

When trying the PX-5S, you have to be sure to download Mike Martin's latest patches. The factory Rhodes in it left me unimpressed, as a Rhodes owner since 1977. I've heard recordings, though (like the above), that I didn't think would be possible from the sample set, based on what I heard when I tried the PX-5S. I *really* like what I hear in those demos.

• Members
All I can say is, if you LIKE the NE2's acoustic pianos and don't like it's Rhodes or Wurli, then we just aren't going to agree. At all. The acoustic piano on my NE2 sucks (and yeah, I tried them all). I vastly prefer the acoustic piano on my 32MB 1997 Ensoniq MR76. Vastly! The NE2 is good enough for 1-board rehearsals, but ugh. What a honky, sucky piano. Meanwhile, the Rhodes are decent, if not my favorites, and I really like the Wurli on the NE2.

i don't use the electro 2 piano sounds.... i use the piano sounds from the nord piano... same goes for the electric pianos... the only thing i use the electro 2 rack for is the organ

• Members
Nord Stage has the best sounds. They are constantly being updated. YOu jjust have to decide if you want to afford them. And what amp you are putting them thru.

the pianos and electric pianos on the stage are the same as the nord piano... so, i have access to the nord piano library

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i don't use the electro 2 piano sounds.... i use the piano sounds from the nord piano... same goes for the electric pianos... the only thing i use the electro 2 rack for is the organ

Doh! I need to read more carefully.

Consider the Korg Krome. I really like its Rhodes (didn't try its Wurly). The Krome Rhodes is remarkably close to what I shoot for when using my 1977 Mark I Stage 73, and a bit unusual compared to most Rhodes, with more crisp bell. That sacrifices a bit of the meatier George Duke tone that everyone understandably loves.

I also really like my CP4's Rhodes and Wurlie. The Rhodes is super dynamic and very musically dynamic -- way better than the NE2. The CP4's modeled tone has a bit of artificial quality to it that I don't crave, but playing it is just so much fun I'm getting used to it and not noticing any more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Velvet is great but since I got the Yamaha CP5 a couple of years ago (just before the CP4 came out) I use that for all my Piano and Electric Piano stuff now. The only problem I have with the CP5 is the lug - it's a brute. The CP4 seems to have taken care of that without compromise.

Archived