I Have an Akai Advance 49 Keyboard in My Hot Little Hands...

• Members

Just unpacked it last night. I like the direction they're taking. I don't think Akai emphasizes enough that you get some really cool AIR instruments with it, and you can use these within your DAW of choice...although I think the instructions aren't complete enough for people who haven't gone around the block a few times with computer-based music program installations.

The oversized knobs and pads scream "live performance"...I'm trying to set up logical connections with Cakewalk's Rapture Pro, because it's not on the list of supported synths.

The installation process was long, what with downloading 3.7 GB of stuff and having to scan my considerable number of VSTs, but now that's done, I look forward to playing with it.

I'll be running around next week so won't have time to take it much further, but hopefully I can post some more info over the weekend.

Anyone else have one of these puppies?

• Members

More on this...there's a plug-in called VIP that opens in your DAW, and shows your VST instruments. This is what "connects" the keyboard to your system. However, you can use it stand-alone, you don't require a host in order to use it.

I asked Akai if they planned on adding more instrument templates and/or doing updates, and they said yes. BTW the instruments you get with it are Hybrid, Xpand!2, Loom, Transfuser, Velvet, Eighty Eight Ensemble, and Vacuum Pro. That's a really good collection, and something that for whatever reason isn't really stressed in the marketing.

I reviewed the Akai MPK249 last year and was really impressed with it. I didn't need another controller at the time, but Ara did, so he wound up buying it. As far as I know, he's been happily using it ever since. If the MPK249 is at all representative of the rest of their line, Akai makes some very nice keyboards, and they do tend to provide a nice collection of virtual instruments with their units. I have no idea why they don't call that out more in their marketing efforts, but I agree that they should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Awesome, I want the 61 key soooo bad, just waiting for it to show up in stock somewhere. My only concern is if it will fit in the drawer on my desk. I know it will fit based on width and depth, but concerned about height. it says it's 3.48 inches tall, but not sure if this includes the knobs. Would you mind doing me a huge favor and measure the height including the knobs? That would really help me out! Looking forward to some reviews on this board.

Archived