sound module with realistic guitar sounds

jetsbass

• Members

Hello, I am looming for an external sound module that has realistic electric guitar sounds preferably distorted rock. I would be attaching this to my Roland GR-20 guitar synth that I use playing my bass guitar. I'm looking for something older that won't break the bank. Thanks

• Members

I can only speak as a keyboardist - for us, regardless of the sound, the challenge is to play parts on the keyboard that have the voicings and riffs that are guitarist-like, and not keyboardist-like. And it is just plain difficult to manipulate samples in a way that come off sounding like a real guitar.

All that being said, you will find decent guitar samples in the Yamaha Motif modules, as well as Roland modules like the XV-5050. I have personal experience with those.

• Members
Hello' date=' I am looming for an external sound module that has realistic electric guitar sounds preferably distorted rock. I would be attaching this to my Roland GR-20 guitar synth that I use playing my bass guitar. I'm looking for something older that won't break the bank. Thanks[/quote']

Acoustic is harder to get right than electric. I have some good electric guitar and distorted elec. guitar samples on my Korg M3M. Plus you can buy samples to load from 3rd party vendors.

I agree w/Keybdwizard. Motif modules - especially Motif ES & later - are known for having excellent guitars.

• Members

I think the key is to use guitar processors after dry guitar sounds. A good amp sim, wah-wah, distortion, etc. help give that "guitar character." Samples of distorted guitar don't work because the distortion occurs for each string...which can be a cool sound, but not an authentic guitar sound.

I wrote an article called "Realistic Guitar Emulations with Samplers" and it's right here on this site. Check it out, and feel free to comment.

• Members

Here's an incomplete "rock demo" I made using only sounds from my Roland Jupiter-50, including electric guitar. These kinds of guitar sounds are available in the newer Roland instruments with the "SuperNatural" sounds, such as the Integra-7 module. Again, I am a keyboardist, and it is really rough to play these sounds with voicings that are consistent with what someone does on a guitar. But I try my best. smile.png

https://soundcloud.com/michael-walth...mplete-050714a

Well, the above link should work, but I can't remove the link from this post (below), that doesn't work. Sorry about that. Don't know why that is....

Archived