best keyboard ? to emulate Rhodes/Wurlitzer/Piano ?

janeenurs

• Members

Hey, I've got a solo set-up for live performance - currently I use Logic Mainstage to route original backing through and use a Roland A30 as midi which is routed through the laptop too.

I'm considering investing in a keyboard that will stand alone = without being routed through Mainstage - as a precaution, but also as I am edging towards a more 'analogue' feel for the keys sound if possible. Whilst I have some great sounds and plugins via Mainstage - I'm nervous about relying so heavily on technology in a live situation..! And i don't really like the feel of the Roland A30 either, though the weight is perfect for me on practical level.

I've been looking at the Nord range - a second hand one - but am getting pretty confused as to which one might suit my pretty basic needs with a keyboard:

I would like a Rhodes sound; a Wurlitzer; Grand piano and if possible Farfisa. Also they are an expensive investment.. though seem the optimum. Nord Electro probably?

If anyone has any suggestions to help me untangle this I'd be v grateful! Either other keyboards that may carry these sort of sounds/or that can be programmed to/ or the best Nord range to go for - Electro/Lead etc...

Portability is an important factor - I've got a Yamaha P60 eg already that is way to heavy for me to consider gigging with. As is sounds and of course some midi use.

Thanks!

• Members
I checked the Forte video on their webpage and I must say it sounds great.

but it's heavier than your P60 that you already consider too heavy. Weight probably also eliminates possibilities like Yamaha CP4, Kawai MP7, Korg SV1.

I wonder if anybody ever tried Roland VR-09 61 keys. How is the action

Not the kind of weighted action that most people would prefer for a focus on EP. But as you may have figured by now, those actions are hard to find in really lightweight boards.

At under 30 lbs, look at Casio PX5S, Korg Kross 88, Nord Piano 2HP.

• Members

I kind of liked the Korg SV-1 for a lot of the sounds retro you mentioned. The keyboard felt pretty good for the weighted piano stuff and usable for most other things. The organ sounds are usable, but a little awkward with the weighted keys if your used to waterfall. The Leslies... Well let's just say I've yet to find an emulation I really like yet and this one is as good as any of the others I tried. It's not infinitely programmable like a work station, nor is it designed to be. The Black Reverse (with black white keys and red black keys) is kind of cool looking and sure to catch a few eyes.

• Members

but it's heavier than your P60 that you already consider too heavy. Weight probably also eliminates possibilities like Yamaha CP4, Kawai MP7, Korg SV1.

Not the kind of weighted action that most people would prefer for a focus on EP. But as you may have figured by now, those actions are hard to find in really lightweight boards.

At under 30 lbs, look at Casio PX5S, Korg Kross 88, Nord Piano 2HP.

Is the CP4 heavy enough to be a pain in the .... ?

I have a CP5 and as much as I love the action (wooden keys) and the incredible dynamic sounds (it does everything suggested in the OP extremely well - it will even play wav files from a USB stick) I find it nearly impossible to haul around.

I used to haul a Rhodes around in the late '70s and the CP5 puts me right back there with the sound and the feel of the electric piano patches. The acoustic piano sounds are what I have come to expect from Yamaha - warm and superb.

• Members

Thank you all for your comments, lots to consider here - yes, the CP4, Kawai MP7 and Korg SV1 are all quite heavy for me - I travel by public transport to gigs.. which is why I might look at a Nord Electro in the end - expensive but v light apparently.. yet to try one out. I'll look at the Casio PX5S, Korg Kross 88 ad Nord Piano 2HP too -

if anyone knows any vintage models that may carry these sounds too please let me know.. though I"m guessing weight may become an issue too then...

• Members

Nord Piano 2HP will basically give you the same sounds as the Electro, except for organ. The Nord user group does have a 60s organ sound you can load into it which might address your possible farfisa-type need. At 24 lbs, Nord HP models (whether Piano or Electro) and the Casio are your best options for a weighted (piano-feeling) action. At lighter weight, you would have to go with a less piano-friendly action, though some are better for pianos than others. The Numa Compact is pretty decent. It doesn't have a farfisa sound, though it does have front panel buttons that make it easy to switch between "internal" and "external" sounds so you could pick up a farfisa sound even from something like an attached iPhone or iPad if need be.

• Members

Thank you AnotherScott, this really helps - and for clarifying re: Nord Electro/Piano - I'll look at the Casio too - I do want semi-weighted keys if possible, but will look at the Numa Compact too. I'm guessing i could add more sounds to the Nord Electro - like a Farfisa style /or use as Midi on occassion and route through Mainstage possibly?

• Members
I do want semi-weighted keys if possible' date=' but will look at the Numa Compact too[/quote']

Numa Compact has semi-weighted keys. The Casio and Nord HP models I mentioned have fully weighted (hammer action) keys which are more piano-like.

I'm guessing i could add more sounds to the Nord Electro - like a Farfisa style /or use as Midi on occassion and route through Mainstage possibly?

Nord Electro (3 and newer) has Farfisa sounds.

Any of the keyboards can be used to trigger sounds in Mainstage. The ability to easily combine the board's internal sounds with those external sounds or switch back and forth between them is something that differs, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Studio Logic has Numa Concert and Numa Stage, both with weighted keys with the Concert being the top line model having wooden keys.

I haven't tried one yet, but they have good piano samples, and enough knobs to control your sound.

I also have a Casio Previa PX-130 with good realistic piano action, offering 3 EP and 3 Organs in addition to acoustic pianos and a few other sounds. They sound great, the only thing is that you can't really adjust the effects and tones as much as you would do on a real Wurlitzer, Rodes, Hammond or Farfisa.

• Members

I doubt you want semi-weighted keys. I bet you want light hammer-action keys. Light as in "easy to carry". Semi-weighted keys are just normal synthesizer keys with small lead weights at the ends. They feel like organ keyboards, and aren't great for playing acoustic and electric pianos.

The top contenders for light hammer-action keyboards would be the Nords and Casio PX-5S. The CP4 is a great keyboard but is 38 lbs. I keep it in a light, rigid-foam 15-lb case, which is fine for schlepping, but I wouldn't want to go older as my age approaches 60.

Definitely check out a Nord Electro HP. That'd be the smallest, lightest hammer-action keyboard with the sounds you want, plus a kick-ass Hammond. Get the Nord gig bag for it; it has shoulder straps which is very handy.

Another possible contender is MOX8 or MOXF8, though I don't know about transistor organs. It has a great AP, some very good EPs, and a robust set of other popular ROMpler sounds.

If you really are OK with semi-weighted keys, then any Electro (non-HP) 3 or higher, and you could even go 61 keys if you're OK with that. (Frankly, the lower keys on the non-HP Electros, before NE5, are nearly worthless for me, because the low key is an F, and I keep hitting the low E that's not there. So until I added a low E key on my NE2/73, I kept it pitched an octave up and would have been just as well-served with a 61.)

Other options for semi-weighted include MOX6 or MOXF6, or even MX61, and Korg Krome 73 or 61, and no doubt others. There are a lot more options in shorter boards and semi-weighted, so if you're really OK without hammer action, let us know.

• Members

Hello all, thanks for the advice and suggestions - I'm still researching - was looking at a second hand Nord Stage Ex 88 until I realised how much it weighed! I've been to try out a Nord Electro4HP and the Casio PX-5S, and the Korg SV-1 - you're right learjeff, I want hammer action. Love the action and feel of the Korg SV-1, but again it's weighty and it doesn't seem to have the possibilities that the Nord Electro 5HP offers - such as using samples (possibly looping them) etc. I like the Casio too, but didn't like the action quite as much - and whilst it offers a lot of possiblilties in terms of creating the kind of EP/key sounds I'm after (i.e distressed/sculpted Rhodes/Wulritzer/layered) I'm not sure it's offering quite enough, but may check it once more. At this stage I think I've decided on the Nord Electro 5HP ... I need something that layers sounds which this will offer, I like to 'distress' and sculpt the original EP/key sounds to suit my needs which this will also offer and I can add samples to loop as far as I can see, pricey but looks a dream! I will look at the MOX6 or MOXF6 too. And report back once I've purchased something..

• Members

I know the CP4 is beyond your ideal weight, but I will chime and say that the action, APs, and EPs are about as good as it gets on a stage piano.

I keep mine in a Gator GK-88 and have no problem schlepping it to gigs, except when there's stairs. Stairs are annoying, but at least they don't last long, and are only a problem going up. Something weird about the CP4, it doesn't feel as heavy as it is when you pick it up. That's nice at the end of the night when you're packing up on a crowded stage.

I'm not sure why weight is a such a huge concern for you guys. I can barely tell the difference between a 70lbs keyboard and a 30lbs keyboard when I'm wheeling it across the parking lot.

Wes

• Members
I'm not sure why weight is a such a huge concern for you guys. I can barely tell the difference between a 70lbs keyboard and a 30lbs keyboard when I'm wheeling it across the parking lot.

Stairs. Getting it in and out of your vehicle. Getting it on and off the stage. Getting it on and off the keyboard stand. And even on wheels, a 70 lb board is probably going to require a trip of its own, so you're likely adding a trip, plus you're probably not going to move as fast, so you're adding time, too. Now to get back to the OP, it's even worse, because he has to maneuver through public transit!

• Members

It's also worth mentioning the Hammond SK1. Doesn't have weighted keys but it does come in 61/76 and 88 notes versions, is easy to carry and has traditional waterfall keys. Excellent AP/EP/B3 sounds. More suited to the Hammond organist but the AP and EP sounds are respectable.

• Members

Hm, I guess my approach to gear selection is a bit different. The 70 lbs keyboard is no longer in use, and I DO appreciate that - but having recently changed from 29 to 38 lbs, I really do barely notice the difference. And the 38 lbs is actually easier to manoeuvre once out of the case for some reason.

FWIW I have a weekly rehearsal where I carry a CP4, 45 lbs powered speaker, bench, tripod mic stand, mic bag, suitcase full of cables, and stand, all in one trip on a0 cart. The cart sometimes has to make it through 20 yards of snowy parking lot, before it makes it into the door, where I have to walk another 75 yards. Not really a problem. But planning how to carry it made it a lot easier than the naive way. I did have to upgrade my stand to make the cart easier to load. A K&M 18880.

The cart was an off-the-shelf thing. I'm thinking about building one with bigger wheels, shaped like a home depot lumber cart. It will be easier to move through snow.

Wes

• Members

I'm surprised you prefer the Electro HP action to the PX-5S, but in any case I'm very happy with my Electro 2 (except for acoustic piano) and the NE5 is improved in every way except the control panel (NE2 has 8 patches in one click, NE5 has 4.)

I really did like the SV-1 when I tried it long ago, but it had too much overlap with my Electro, and it has a curved top. (I use the flat surfaces! For things like speakers and my wireless computer keyboard when at home, or guitar amp/cab modeler home and at gigs. And oh yeah, a set list!)

• Members

If you are OK with semi-weighted keys, I really like the piano sounds on my Roland Jupiter-50: It has 76 keys and it weighs less than 25 lbs. (~11kg). You can radically edit the sounds and create your own layered sounds to get exactly what you want.

Roland refers to the keys as "weighted" but, compared to my old Aleses QS8.1's fully-weighted keys, I would call these "semi-weighted." Nevertheless, they do have a much nicer touch than traditional synth keys.

Archived