SM PRO V-Machine

koolkat

• Members

Ok, so the unit arrived yesterday. The first thing I did (after reading the instructions lol) was load up GSI VB3 organ. This was super easy to do and loaded without a hitch. It played flawlessly in the V-Machine unit and for that reason alone, I was happy. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the software is a bit glitchy and there is a bit of a learning curve to the hierarchy.

Next, I tried to load up Z3TA 2. It wouldn't load and crashed the machine. I can't say I was surprised because I was pretty sure the requirements of Z3TA 2 exceeded that of the CPU of the V-machine; but hey, I had to see for myself what would happen. Ok, so I deleted Z3TA 2 and tried to load up regular ol' Z3TA. It loaded onto the machine, but there were a few glitchy (digital noise) patches as its' specs pretty much max out the V-Machines CPU. It's kind of hit and miss with Z3TA; probably 70% of the patches are just fine. The patches that are more CPU intensive definitely have some digital noise happening. There might be a way to remedy that situation; perhaps I can tweak the patches so that they use less CPU? Honestly though, I pretty much got all of patches I really wanted to run correctly so I'm not really unhappy here.

I loaded up V combo organ and GSI Key Performer. Both loaded fine; I'm not completely sure about Key Performer as I only loaded the demo version. I'm pretty sure the full version will work fine as there is a youtube video showing someone (Guido?) using it without a hitch.

Finally, this unit is fantastic for me because I bought it for one sole purpose -- to be a stand alone player for VB3 organ for live use. The price was perfect and overall, I've managed to save myself probably $1500 dollars by not having to buy a dedicated organ such as Numa. Any high highly CPU intensive plugins probably won't work properly and if the software you want to run has some weird-ass security (such a Native Instruments), this unit is NOT for you.

In conclusion, this unit probably isn't for most people. I don't think it's junky, but the scope of what it can do is limited. If you have pre-2007 plugins (or plugins that you know don't use a lot of CPU) that you want to be able to play in live situations, then this might be a good investment.

~Scott

• Members

EDIT:

Looks like I can load individual patches from Rapture, Z3TA, and Dimension Pro; the wow factor just increased somewhat for me.

Actually, I can increase the flash drive size so I can get the entire program loaded.

• Members

Thanks for the updates. When I was initially looking at it, VB3 was the main reason as well. I've since purchased a Kronos so the VB3 isn't as important. Out of curiosity, did it come with any good FULL versions of vsts?

• Members
Thanks for the updates. When I was initially looking at it' date=' VB3 was the main reason as well. I've since purchased a Kronos so the VB3 isn't as important. Out of curiosity, did it come with any good FULL versions of vsts?[/quote']

It's got full versions of freeware, but that's about it.

• Members

I picked up one off eBay NIB for $149 since I've been wanting one for a long time - hard to find now.

Some fo the KVR listed free synths are decent. My main thing was to load OP-X, CamelSpace, CamelPhat, and a few others - cool so far, but it's esy to tax the CPU. Works perfectly for my uses since I'm mostly out of the box these days, but there are a few key apps I want to use.

The sync software is kinda lame, but it works.

Archived