Will we see next Yamaha Motif successor in 2015?

zzzxtreme

• Members

with the release of Tyros5 and Electone ELS-02C, I suspect a new Motif will be announced this year.

ELS-02C keys - you can push the keys left/right for extra effects/articulation (Horizontal Touch)

Virtual Acoustic is included in Electone since ELS-01, I wonder why it isn't there in Motif

Tyros 5 has this "Ensemble AI" thing, Example : "Play two notes with a Brass Quartet Ensemble Voice, and Tyros5 will send the trumpets to the top notes and the trombones to the lower notes"

It's unlike keyboard splits

Roland created a monster with Jupiter, Korg's versatile Kronos. will next motif challenge those two? and even challenge their own tyros/electone ?

• Members

A big improvement would be for the new Motif to drop the price and increase the size of their flash memory......flash memory isn't rocket science.....it's been around a really long time and theirs shouldn't be so expensive.....they should also make it so you can edit samples on flash memory just like you could with samples on DIMM's.....

Increasing the amount of samples and built in sounds is a given......that will probably always be the case with each new model......it's also high time they increased polyphony.....with 16 sequencer tracks, 128 note polyphony isn't all that generous, especially with performances that can have up to 8 voices......that eats up polyphony pretty fast.....

The Motifs also need to be able to change from one sound to another without cutting off the previous sound......it should disappear naturally......I've heard other synths that do this and it's way better.....

• Members

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/namm-2015/977456-korg-yamaha-new-synths-namm.html

yamaha reface. trademark june 5, 2014 Musical instruments, namely, music synthesizers and electronic keyboard instruments; parts and fittings for all the aforesaid goods

yamaha montage. trademark dec 22, 2014 Musical instruments, namely, music synthesizers and electronic keyboard instruments

• Members

I would like to see the next Motif have a true VA synth built into it. The workstations from Korg and Roland now have VAs, and I much prefer these to the sampled synth sounds found in the Motif.

A price drop would be nice, too. The prices of all of these workstations - across the board - seem to have become really high to me.

• Members

I dunno. Compared to what I paid for a Prophet 5 and a Jupiter 6 back in the early 80s, these workstations are a bargain.

The sound set on the Motif is getting a bit long in the tooth though. Great sounds still, but adding different types of engines the way the Kronos has them would be a nice step up.

• Members

I would like to see more stripped down versions of workstations that are geared more towards the gigging player. Focus on the sounds, lighter weight, more hands on controls and less "workstation" features.

And how about making the touchscreens actual tablets so you can include apps like Onsong or sheet music apps or anything else you might need? Make them Wifi capable. Integrate them with the synth.

• Members

And how about making the touchscreens actual tablets so you can include apps like Onsong or sheet music apps or anything else you might need? Make them Wifi capable. Integrate them with the synth.

Just buy a MIDI controller for your iPad - there are hundreds to choose from.

• Members

Just buy a MIDI controller for your iPad - there are hundreds to choose from.

I don't necessarily want to use the iPad as the sound source. I want to have the iPad integrated into the keyboard itself. But, of course, that would work both ways.

I already use a touchscreen to control the Kronos. And I have an iPad on the side to do musical things not specifically related to the two. There's no reason that Kronos touchscreen couldn't also function as a tablet with WiFi capabilities and everything else.

And then there would be all the potential integrated functions. Sampling direct from the internet, for example. Access to sound fonts and beats, etc.

• Members

There was a VA PLG for the first two series of Motifs but I think you needed a computer to edit it....a Motif rack or Motif rack ES would be an easy way to get it....

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/plugins/plg150-an/

These provide their own polyphony so installing a second one doubles your polyphony....on keyboard versions they can hold up to 3......the racks can only hold 2.....

• Members

You want Yamaha to include a detachable tablet computer? OK, maybe they'll do it once they are bought by Samsung, Apple, or Microsoft.

A completely new and highly modular synthesizer system would be nice, however I just don't see Yamaha breaking their 20-year long approach of making very small steps, adopted after the failures of VP1, EX5 and FS1R. And after all those 10 years, it doesn't really seem like the OASYS (2005) or the Kronos (2011) really came to be a "wake-up call" for Yamaha.

So if there is a completely new workstation from Yamaha, I don't really expect it to feature multiple engines or similar groundbreaking features. Just evolutionary things like more sample memory, bigger screen and updated UI, and maybe some more VCM (Virtual Circuit Modelling), SCM ( Spectral Component Modeling) and FSDP (Formulated Digital Signal Processing) onboard.

• Members

​I like the built in CD burner like the Korg Trinity used to have.....they should add one to the Motif.....but they should make them removable just like on a laptop so if it acts up, it's easy to change.....it also needs a built in hard drive that can download through a USB jack to a thumbdrive.....

• Members

http://usa.yamaha.com/about_yamaha/namm/

http://www.yamaha.com/US/namm/w15/Ya...tsNAMM2015.pdf

Nothing in the synth department this time.

If you look up Yamaha's trademark records, it's typically less than a few months between trademark registration and actual product announcement. "REFACE" trademark was registered in June 2014, and "MONTAGE" trademark in December 2014. So maybe Musikmesse 2015...

• Members
You want Yamaha to include a detachable tablet computer? OK, maybe they'll do it once they are bought by Samsung, Apple, or Microsoft.

not detachable. Just give the touchscreens that already operate the workstations more power and flexibility so that the workstation can do more things and do them more easily, Why would they need to be owned by one of those companies to be able to do that??

• Members

It makes perfect sense to have a CD burner in a Motif.....the Motif is desgned to be an all-in-one recording studio, but when it comes to finishing your recording to CD (especially if you're using it away from home) then you always have to have external equipment to do this.....

A laptop-sized CD burner is tiny and would cover the mixdown & CD burning aspect of the recording process perfectly......no extra gear needed.....then you could make more copies from your master right there or else when you got home again.....

They keep putting CD burners in laptops for the same reason.....they work and you don't have to use an external CD burner......

• Members

I see the next step they could possibly take......they could put a connector on the Motif with many pins and a spring loaded cover that would attach to a rackmount jackfield......each channel would be able to take one or two 1/4" instrument plugs for stereo or mono and you would also be able to connect mics with Phantom power available if the mic needed it.....you could also connect instruments through low impedance mic jacks for long cable runs......all the jacks could have spring loaded covers to keep all the contacts clean.....the plug end could have a screw on cap to keep it's contacts clean.....

The 8 sliders would be replaced by 16 and you would have the ability to record 16 tracks at once......each track would be able to have it's own effects......

In other words, turn the Motif into a REAL recording studio....not the one track at a time system that it uses now.....they would have to give the Motif more power to be able to do 16 tracks at once without problems.......it's a lot more to process.....

If they did put a burner on, the software would need to be really good with jitter correction so you could play normally without reading errors (if you used it like that).....it's actually not that hard to do.....I remember many years ago bouncing CD discmans off a carpeted floor and they wouldn't skip....for burning, they could have it record to an SSD and that could burn to the internal disc when you weren't playing.....no vibration is best for burning.....on SSD you could edit it more and refine it for a better CD......

I am a big fan of having a burner and SSD built in and having a keyboard be a total solution that didn't need any external gear hooked up to be able to do anything.....I don't see a better way to attach a jackfield however.....there is too much there to build it in.....having it be rackmount however would make it portable.....they could add everything a mixing desk has inside the Motif.......I'm sure this would drastically push up the price, but we're talking a major improvement.....

Maybe a board like this wouldn't even be a Motif, but something better.......

• Members
not detachable. Just give the touchscreens that already operate the workstations more power and flexibility so that the workstation can do more things and do them more easily' date=' Why would they need to be owned by one of those companies to be able to do that??[/quote'] I'm not sure I'm following you. You think Yamaha workstations are run by "touchscreen", not a custom CPU and dedicated DSP chips installed on a curcuit board? "Touchscreen" in the Motif just does what its name suggests - it's a TFT LCD display with a touchscreen sensor on top.

Internally Motif is not software-compatible with iPad/iOS, AndroidOS, or Mac/Windows PCs in any way, since it uses a Toshiba-made MIPS64 CPU and runs MontaVista Linux.

It makes perfect sense to have a CD burner in a Motif
Why whould you need a built-in CD burner in the year 2015?

turn the Motif into a REAL recording studio
Yeah' date=' sure. Have been waiting for a modular synth/DAW workstation from Yamaha since 2003. Didn't happen.

Try Korg Kronos, Yamaha/Steinberg Nuage, Roland V-Studio 700 or maybe a used Fairlight CMI ...

• Members
I'm not sure I'm following you. You think Yamaha workstations are run by "touchscreen"' date=' not a custom CPU and dedicated DSP chips installed on a curcuit board? "Touchscreen" in the Motif just does what its name suggests - it's a TFT LCD display with a touchscreen sensor on top.

Internally Motif is not software-compatible with iPad/iOS, AndroidOS, or Mac/Windows PCs in any way, since it uses a Toshiba-made MIPS64 CPU and runs MontaVista Linux.

I understand what they are now. Just talking about what I'd like to see the next generation of workstations be. You look at how far digital mixers have come in the last few years and where all of that is headed. I think that a lot can and will be done with this sort of interfacing.

Why whould you need a built-in CD burner in the year 2015?

. I agree with that. I don't know if I've burned a CD for any reason in the last 3 years. It's a morbund format. Spending any time or money adding such features to a workstation would be a step backwards, not forwards.

• Members
You look at how far digital mixers have come in the last few years and where all of that is headed. I think that a lot can and will be done with this sort of interfacing..
Been there as well, 10 years passed since the introduction of Yamaha MC7L and none of its control/GUI concepts passed down to Motif X or Tyros/Clavinova.

Digital mixers sure have come a long way since then and the latest Yamaha PM10D RIVAGE and Roland M-5000 O.H.R.C.A are very fine boards indeed, but all this multiple touchscreen power starts at like US $30 000.

• Members

I don't think Yamaha would want to put in a cd burner, it will increase support cost. They would want stay away from moving parts

One thing for sure, the Motif can act as Audio Interface. Perhaps, they could add an ADAT port ? Interesting to see how they would take advantage of Steinberg's acquisition to improve on the Motif

Archived