Where can you get decent priced quality road cases for a synth?

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

Cases on Ebay are generally ads for new cases from dealers. They are about as cheap on Ebay as you'll find anywhere else. If you're look for the typical ATA type hardshell flight cases, RoadcasesUSA probably makes the best stuff for the lowest prices.

Custom-sized cases are always going to be more expensive. If you find a generally-sized case and then use foam padding to fit your board, you can probably find one cheaper.

The biggest problem with looking online for cases---especially used ones---is that they are so expensive to ship due to size. Which is why almost all the ones you see online are new.

Craigslist and local music stores are the way to go. Try putting up ads asking for a case in the dimensions you're looking for. Cases are often things that people keep thinking they want to get rid of someday, but don't really bother going to the effort to do so.

• Members
Cases on Ebay are generally ads for new cases from dealers. They are about as cheap on Ebay as you'll find anywhere else. If you're look for the typical ATA type hardshell flight cases, RoadcasesUSA probably makes the best stuff for the lowest prices.

Custom-sized cases are always going to be more expensive. If you find a generally-sized case and then use foam padding to fit your board, you can probably find one cheaper.

The biggest problem with looking online for cases---especially used ones---is that they are so expensive to ship due to size. Which is why almost all the ones you see online are new.

Craigslist and local music stores are the way to go. Try putting up ads asking for a case in the dimensions you're looking for. Cases are often things that people keep thinking they want to get rid of someday, but don't really bother going to the effort to do so.

Yeah, maybe local want ads is a place to start. I'll check out Roadcases USA too, thanks!

• Members

New York Case Company

http://www.newyorkcasecompany.com/

I buy all my cases from them.....they can build in roller blade wheels if you want......I always get the more expensive cases with foam in them.....the less expensive ones have carpet in them.....they can build cases for anything....I've been buying their cases since the 90's (they were Discount Distributers then)....

Go with built in rather than bolt on wheels

Cases with formica on the outside are more durable than Tolex.....Tolex can get scraped off and ripped

Recessed latches are less likely to get broken off than surface mount ones.....you can get locks on them too if you want.....you can name all the specifics.....how many handles.....everything...they'll give you a quote including tax & shipping......

Get them shipped signature required so UPS or Fed Ex doesn't leave them sitting on your step.....I pick mine up at the UPS or Fed Ex ship center....it's not worth having a stupid driver leave it on your step for your friendly neighborhood thieves.....thieves would sell it for whatever they could get.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
New York Case Company

http://www.newyorkcasecompany.com/

I buy all my cases from them.....they can build in roller blade wheels if you want......I always get the more expensive cases with foam in them.....the less expensive ones have carpet in them.....they can build cases for anything....I've been buying their cases since the 90's (they were Discount Distributers then)....

Go with built in rather than bolt on wheels

Cases with formica on the outside are more durable than Tolex.....Tolex can get scraped off and ripped

Recessed latches are less likely to get broken off than surface mount ones.....you can get locks on them too if you want.....you can name all the specifics.....how many handles.....everything...they'll give you a quote including tax & shipping......

Get them shipped signature required so UPS or Fed Ex doesn't leave them sitting on your step.....I pick mine up at the UPS or Fed Ex ship center....it's not worth having a stupid driver leave it on your step for your friendly neighborhood thieves.....thieves would sell it for whatever they could get.....

I'll check that out, thanks!

• Members

My only case was purchased from a case maker who sold on ebay. I wish I could remember the name. Anyway, the case was originally for a roland sr5 (61 key) but now carries a 61 key Yamaha so3. If I remember correctly, I gave about 65 plus shipping for it. It's lasted for 15 years without a single problem. Foam insulated with a small area good for power supply and chords.

Archived