dx7 IIFD question

Chummy

• Members

Unless the battery is dead and the internal memory is wiped clean, there should be internal sounds on board. The cartridges were either blank so you could write your own, or third party libraries, which were numerous. If I remember correctly, you could write over the internal programs, so you should be good. I'd look around and check eBay and see if you can find some blank cartridges for it. There are literally thousands of DX7 patches online for free, but you are going to want a way to put them into the DX7. You can use a SysEx (System Exclusive) Editor to move sounds back and forth from a PC or Mac to the DX7. Hope that helped a little!

Also, considering that you are talking about the FD model (floppy disk), you can just use those to save patches and move them back and forth (if you can still find floppies anywhere - lol)

• Members

I prefer to use the MIDI port to move sounds around. Many of these have bad belts on the floppy drives. I don't know if mine does or not.

You need 720kB disks BTW. Extremely hard to find. I am hoarding mine. ;)

Wes

• Members

With the DX7II models, it was actually possible to not have any sounds in the synth at all if the battery in the synth was dead......the "built in" sounds were on a cartridge that you may or may not get when buying it used....

The rackmount (the TX802) had those cartridge sounds built in....

Blank cartridges make organizing sound banks into your favorites much easier.....write down numbers

1 - 64 on a piece of paper and cross them off as you store to that location so you don't accidentally over-write sounds you're saving

Details on the Gotek

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...rg-triton-rack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

MIDI Ox is free and works to save and load for the DX7IIFD (my DX7IIFD can load sounds from floppies but will no longer save to floppies and there is no replacement available)......I'm going to switch my floppy drive to a Gotek....if you use MIDI Ox, you'll need to buy a USB / MIDI cable ($5.00 on Ebay)....you may only be able to have one MIDI plug inserted at once...

Archived