Recommend me a workstation type MIDI controller that I can play piano with!

• Members

Something with weighted keys, don't have to be hammer action... I'd like a drum trigger pad, but I can always buy one after the fact. I'd like a full-size keyboard as well, and one with a convincing piano sample/sustain pedal input. I really want to keep it at or around $500, minimum wage makes it hard to afford nice things :-p Totally new to electronic keyboards, just want something that will work well with a virtual studio program and something I can practice piano on that will feel familiar. Thank you in advance!

• Members

First, you may be confused about what we mean by "workstation". That term implies that the keyboard has a built-in sequencer, among other things. If you're using it with a computer virtual studio program (what we usually call a DAW, for Digital Audio Workstation), you don't need workstation features on the keyboard; you're better off using the DAW's big screen and full-featured GUI. Workstations aren't cheap, unless you can find a decent old used one.

Second, there are three basic keyboard types, synth or unweighted, semi-weighted, and hammer-action (also called "fully weighted"). Most keyboards are either synth or hammer-action, but there are a number of shorter-than-88 key boards with semi-weighted. IMHO, the difference between synth and semi-weighted isn't terribly significant, but the difference between semi-weighted and hammer-action is huge. Since you want a convincing piano, I'd recommend you go for a hammer-action keyboard. Some have "graded hammer action" but that's of little importance.

If you're willing to go used, I recommend checking Craigslist for any Casio Privia or CDP-100. You can sometimes find these as cheap as $250, and often at $300 or $350. There are a lot of different models but frankly you'd probably be fine with any of them. Others to look for are Yamaha P95 or P105 but they'll get a bit higher price. Those are also the models I'd suggest for new gear, but that would be Yamaha P105 and I'm not sure what Privia PX-something. As you go up in price, the piano gets a little better and the add lots of sounds most of which aren't that useful. (The Casio PX-5S at $1000 is a real deal with lots of great sounds and features, but well past your price range. Anything else comparable is considerably more than that.)

Personally, on a budget, I'd canvas Craigslist and give it a month or so and hope for a Casio Privia or CDP below $300 and go for it. They're good enough that pros use them as backups or super lightweights for gigs. These come with or without matching stands. The stand adds resalability, but you can always use a $30 X stand. Just be sure to get "double-braced". Expect it to come with the sustain pedal, but you can also buy one of those for $30, or less if you shop online.

Archived