How To Create this type of synth sound??

tmurray

• Members

Hello all, I'm primarily a guitarist and lately I've been busy recording some of my songs, adding bass and creating digital drum parts. I would like to incorporate keyboard accompaniment with a fairly specific sound - somewhere between a rhodes piano and an organ. It's hard to describe but please check out the tunes below for a better idea:

I can play piano ok, but I'm a real novice when it comes to keyboard and synth sounds. How best to create this kind of a sound? Any way it can be done with free software instead of investing in new gear??

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated!

Oh and by the way, I record using audacity and/or garageband on a macbook pro, I have a yamaha electric piano with midi output and an alesis external soundcard that I can connect everything to my computer with.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tim

• Members

First one sounds like a pair of flutes to me. Not the organ kind, the kind that go flat if you don't blow hard enough...which is how I think they may have been recorded.

Second one sounds like a piano with some reverb and a bit of chorus.

• Members

Hi guys, thanks for your comments! That's an interesting idea to slow down the sound and sample it. Will have a go now.

Also, I checked out some farfisa demos on youtube - that could come fairly close with a bit of tweaking I think! I actually had never heard of that type of organ before... Seems like it's what Ray Manzarek was using with the Doors.

Finally, I hadn't considered that this type of sound could be created by adding effects to piano. I have all my guitar pedals with which I can experiment in that direction too. Thanks for the ideas :)

Anyone had success getting these type of sounds via midi plugins? Which ones worked well for you?

Archived