Yamaha MOXF8 (crappy quality in build and sound compared to Motif XF)

RockPianoman

• Members

I played a Yamaha MOXF8 today.....crappy build quality.....I'm buying a Yamaha Motif XF7 instead (one of the new white ones)....I wondered how bad the build quality was and I found out.....37.9 pounds for a real Motif XF7 and they don't cut corners.....I'm glad I tried the MOXF8 before I bought it because I would have had to ship it back......

A "real" Motif is built like a tank and the display is miles better too......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...%20XF7&index=2

I bought my Motif ES6 about 6 years ago and it's time to upgrade.....I'm getting 2 GB of flash boards for the Motif XF7 as well.....

I still have my original Motif 8 as well and both my Motif 8 and my Motif ES6 are built like tanks and the Motif XF7 is the same.....I bought my Motif 8 in 2002 (it was released in 2001)....I had wished I had bought a Motif ES7 after I bought my Motif ES6.....I'll never sell my Motif ES6 as I have a fortune in sound libraries for it and they aren't compatible with newer Motifs.....

I would recommend that anyone buying a synth that is available with 76 keys should buy that instead of the 61 key version......on 76 keys you can play without transposing and it can cover gigs without "needing" another board, but I'll still probably use my Korg Karma as my top board with it and I'll also keep taking extra synths in a rack for layering with both boards....

If a board doesn't have enough keys where I can play without constantly hitting a transpose button, it takes a lot of the fun out of it....(that's how my Motif ES6 is....it has 61 keys)

• Members

the XF7 doesn't have weighted keys. So it doesn't really serve as an option over the MOXF8 for someone looking for such. The XF8 is just way to heavy for me to want to gig with it. Yes, the MOXF8 has A plastic case but I don't feel it to have crisply build quality at all. Other than the case, what else did you feel was crappy about it?

• Members

I'm used to the really solid build of my Motif ES6 and my Motif 8....even though the MOXF8 isn't as much money as a real Motif, it's way too much money for how it's built....

I'll be fine with synth action on the Motif XF7 (the Motif XF8 is heavier than I want to move)......also, I use the sampler extensively in my Motif ES6 and that is another reason I want a sampler built in......if you played a Motif XF7, you'd agree with me as far as how different it is (I played one of those too)

• Members

Well, again, comparing a fully-weighted board to a synth action board is apples and oranges. You should be comparing the MOXF7 to the XF7 in that case.

And yes, if you need the sampler than a board without a sampler isn't a good option. But that's not "build quality".

So back to my original question: what other than the plastic case didn't you like? I ask because I just bought a MOXF8 and I'm personally fine with the plastic case (although I can understand if others wouldn't be.) I find no reason to think it wouldn't be solid and reliable. Obviously it's not metal, but it also doesn't weigh as much. That's the expected trade off. But I was pleasantly surprised to find the knobs and sliders and everything else to be of good quality.

Being virtually the same board as the XF8 but with a smaller screen, fewer sliders, no sampler and a plastic case for 1/2 the price I think is a great value. But I am curious if you think it's more poorly constructed in ways other than the plastic case?

• Members

I could have lesser build quality in a lesser board, but that board will play too important of a part in my life.....it felt cheap first of all....I absolutely hate the detented quick edit knobs that step.....I use those too much and I can't have stepping....I would have to pay someone to replace all those pots with good ones.....I hated not having the sliders.....those are too important.....I hated not having aftertouch also.....everything they take away makes it more frustrating....I also don't like not having dedicated bank buttons....you have to scroll through banks before you can even start selecting your sounds....I also thought the display on the XF7 is one of the biggest differences......it shows much more information than my Motif ES6 (the Motif ES6 has the same display as your Motif 6 had) .....getting the extra flash board is a great plus as well.....it gives to a total of 2 GB compared to 1 GB

Add all that stuff together and it's quite a huge difference.....I used to use a Yamaha SY99 as my main

board at gigs and a Yamaha SY77 before it and so synth action is no problem at all....bottom line is I know I'd be way happier with the XF7 and I'd always wish I had bought it if I didn't....

• Members

The keys on the MOXF8 I liked....they felt like my P-70 piano.....but there were too many negatives to make that be enough......also, it's not build quality but I want the sampler included

It did feel really cheap like if it ever fell it would shatter....I can't have that

I've seen too many horrible fights break out in often close quarters at gigs over the years.....having a fragile board and that don't mix

• Members

Yeah, you just listed the features you want that it doesn't have. Obviously a cheaper board will have fewer features. That's the trade off. But none of those are "build quality" actually. Other than the casing. Even the step knob thing isn't a matter of expense put into the knob itself, I don't think. And you could always route those functions to the mod wheel on the patches where you need to adjust it in live performance. That's what I do on most of my boards anyway.

but just because you personally don't like the features a board does or doesn't have, you shouldn't dismiss it as poor "build quality" in a review. That isn't fair or accurate.

• Members

Right... If you need 88 weighted keys, it's not fair to expect the build and features of the plastic-case 33 pound $1700 MOXF to be competitive with the metal-case 64 pound $3600 "pro" Motif XF version of the technology. The question would be how the casing, knobs, screen, action, features, build quality, etc. compare with, say, the Korg Krome 88, or the Roland FA-08. And each of these has its relative strengths and weaknesses compared to the others. Though I'll add that, in this price range, I'm very impressed with the air of quality of the Kawai MP7... great action, great piano sounds, great ergonomics, and everything feels totally solid and pro calibre. Of course, it also weighs more, and lacks the wide range of sounds, workstation capabilities, and some other features of these other boards. But if it does what you want, there's nothing that feels at all cheap about it, if that's your focus.

• Members

When I think of the term "build quality", I think of to the degree to which the keyboard will be durable for live gigging (my main use).

When comparing to my old Original Motif, after 14 years that keyboard has held up quite well: it's suffered two broken keys, has a loose mod wheel and one control knob, has a couple of buttons that need to be pressed harder than they used to, and the volume slider is no longer smooth. It sounds perpetually "dirty". It also had to be sent in for repair a couple of times when the electronics started behaving erratically. Once after being gigged with too long under the direct sun. (Something the silver metal case almost certainly made worse.)

In comparison, the MOXF8 seems pretty durable. The knobs, sliders, buttons and wheels all seem to be made of the same materials. And the guts of the electronics are at least as good. Probably much better since they are more than a decade newer technology. Yes, the case is plastic instead of metal, but it seems durable enough. I have no reason to think it's going to suddenly crack open or be unusually fragile.

I'm not a fan of the feel of the keybed, but frankly I don't really like the feel of the 88-key Motif XF8s either. I figure that's either something I'll get used to, or I never will and I'll find another board I like better instead. As far as the rest of the features go---fewer sliders and smaller screen and fewer outputs and no sampler: that's what you're getting for less money. If you want that stuff, you gotta pay more. If you don't? Then here you are.

Personally, it couldn't be my only board, as I need many of those features. Since I have another keyboard that has that stuff, it fits into my rig pretty well.

But as far as build quality goes? I'm just not seeing any major weaknesses. Unless the plastic case becomes an issue that I'm not anticipating. But I'll let you know in a few months or so of gigging with it. Maybe it will just turn out to be an overpriced toy and a waste of my money.

• Members

It is build quality that I'm talking about....it feels cheap, I worry that it would shatter if it fell or if a fight broke out in a bar......build quality

I've seen some for sale on Ebay that were terribly broken (they were MOX8's which are the same build quality and they were shattered in different places on the casing...I also saw a MOX6 that had a shattered part on the casing)....at one time there were three on there at once that were broken like that.....I don't know how they ever sold them but I suppose someone bought them, fixed them and re-listed them.....

I also play too many sounds to re-route controllers for sounds I use.....the modulation wheel is for adding vibrato, not doing cutoff because of crappy quick edit pots

....but bottom line is it feels so cheap I worry it will start cracking from normal use.....if something makes me not want to buy it because I worry about it breaking during normal use, it is a build quality issue (and I baby my gear....I'm very careful)

I've had the same thing happen with some of my laptops.....the casing starts cracking and there's really nothing you can do......I definitely don't want my Motif doing that......

I've had my Motif 8 for 12 years and it's like new other than needing work done on the display (and I've played a zillion gigs with it).....I want the same for the next one I buy

With the Motif XF7 weighing in at under 38 pounds, you don't need to buy a budget board for it to be easy to move......play a Motif XF7 (I did).....it's built like a freakin' tank.....

All Yamaha synths used to be built to last.....then the accountants got involved....(I'm talking their pro boards....not the PSR or comparable to PSR quality stuff)

I also find it much more enjoyable to play a board that's built well.....it's a different experience from a creaky board that feels cheap......

By the way, my Yamaha NP-30 is cheap too....I doubt it would last either but I barely ever use it.....I'm very, very picky though when it comes to my main board that I use on stage....even my P-70 piano is cheaper than I like but is built way better than the MOXF8.....(I bought it new in 2006 so it's a little older).....

• Members

It is build quality that I'm talking about....it feels cheap, I worry that it would shatter if it fell or if a fight broke out in a bar......build quality

I've seen some for sale on Ebay that were terribly broken (they were MOX8's which are the same build quality and they were shattered in different places on the casing...I also saw a MOX6 that had a shattered part on the casing)....at one time there were three on there at once that were broken like that.....I don't know how they ever sold them but I suppose someone bought them, fixed them and re-listed them.....

I also play too many sounds to re-route controllers for sounds I use.....the modulation wheel is for adding vibrato, not doing cutoff because of crappy quick edit pots

....but bottom line is it feels so cheap I worry it will start cracking from normal use.....if something makes me not want to buy it because I worry about it breaking during normal use, it is a build quality issue (and I baby my gear....I'm very careful)

Yeah, we got it. You don't like the plastic case. But everything else apparently feels solid to you. i.e., knobs, sliders, buttons, wheels, jacks, etc. since you don't mention those. The feel of all that stuff is virtually identical to the XF boards in my opinion. I see no drop off in "build quality" when it comes to the performance of the machine.

As far as re-routing controllers goes? That's a personal choice, of course. I don't play many sounds that I don't edit to some degree anyway, so re-routing stuff is just part of the editing process. But seriously? You play THAT many sounds where you adjust the cutoff while you're performing? You must be doing some crazy stuff! What you need in that case is an analog modeling board.

One reason I route the filter to the mod wheel is that I never liked those little wheels on the Motif much anyway. Too small to really work with live and get a good feel for stuff.

Routing it to a foot pedal is another option. One thing I miss on the MOXF8 is aftertouch. I like to route vibrato to aftertouch rather than using a wheel. Since I'm usually playing another keyboard with my left hand, I don't always that hand available for things like moving knobs and wheels around. But since it's a fully-weighted board, I don't plan on playing solos on it much anyway.

With the Motif XF7 weighing in at under 38 pounds, you don't need to buy a budget board for it to be easy to move......play a Motif XF7 (I did).....it's built like a freakin' tank.....

Yeah, but it doesn't have the same keyboard. The #1 reason anybody is going to be looking at a MOXF8 or a XF8 is because they want a fully-weighted piano action keyboard. Suggesting one that isn't as an option doesn't make any sense. Obviously a smaller board is going to weigh less.

And there more things to consider than just if something is "built like a tank" or not.

I would suggest being more careful and not dropping and breaking your keyboards so much. In 35 years, I've never had that happen to me, regardless of what the case what made of.

And besides, aren't you the same guy who recently gave a glowing review to the Roland A-37 controller? I have one of those too, and while there are a lot of things I like about it, the plastic case it's housed in feels WAY cheaper than the MOXF8. How on earth can you love one of those two boards and call it "solid" and call the other one "crappy build quality"? At BEST the "build quality" of the A-37 is only as good as the MOXF8. It certainly isn't better, by any stretch of the imagination. Talk about a casing that feels like it just might crack apart one day under regular use!

• Members

You are right about the A-37.....much worse build quality but if it broke I could get an A-30 for $150 to replace it

I play TONS of sounds at my shows.....I'm known for it......I would prefer weighted keys if that was the only thing to consider

I should play a Motif XF7 with MIDI from my piano....

Honestly, before I played the MOXF8 I thought the broken ones I saw on Ebay were there because of careless people......it was really disappointing to play it in person and realize I could never buy one.....

The casing is the main reason for my decision....when I picked it up and twisted it, it creaked....I can see that in a keyboard costing a few hundred, but not $1700

• Members

You are right about the A-37.....much worse build quality but if it broke I could get an A-30 for $150 to replace it

OK, but I'm just trying to find some consistency and understanding here. You post a lot of reviews that tend to be very wordy and detailed. That's great and COULD be a valuable service to readers, but if you're calling one board "crappy build quality" that you're afraid will fall apart under regular use and another that you now say is much worse but that you gave 5 stars for "reliability and durability" and an A+++++ rating just a few months ago.....

....just not sure where to go with all that you know? If you want people to read all your stuff, you need to make sure they can understand where you're coming from. Nowhere did you say that the ratings for the A37 were contingent upon the price or that they were based on the fact that you consider it disposable.

Similarly, you aren't comparing the MOXF8 to other boards in its class and price range, and instead complain that it doesn't have the same "built like a tank" quality as another board that costs twice as much. That's like complaining that a Toyota RAV4 isn't a Land Cruiser.

I'd like to continue to read your reviews in the future, but I don't want to waste my time if I can't understand where you're coming from on them.

Just stuff to think about when you're posting reviews. I believe you have the best of intentions and only want to help people out when making purchases and choices about which keyboards to use. If people read that you think the A37 is build solidly but that the MOXF8 has a crappy build, then they'll probably presume you're using the same scale of reference for both. Obviously, you use something else. Make sure you let them know what that is.

• Members

A $1700 price tag makes me much more demanding....that's not unreasonable or hard to understand

IT CREAKED WHEN I TWISTED IT AND I"M NOT A BIG DUDE ....IT FREAKED ME OUT....I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BREAK RIGHT THERE IN MY HANDS !!!!!

End of subject......I wouldn't burn you at the stake if you thought something was built too cheap......

• Members
A $1700 price tag makes me much more demanding....that's not unreasonable or hard to understand

Exactly. Which is why you need to compare it to other boards in the same price range and class. Not to one that lists for twice as much. If you're going to base your reviews upon what you get for the $$, then say so. Don't compare Cadillacs to compacts.

I think that Yamaha was able to put 80-85% of the XF8 into a board that is half the price is pretty astounding. It makes the MOXF8 a great value, IMO. Will the case just fall apart? I dunno. I agree that if it just falls apart on me in a couple of years, that it won't have been a good value. But you've managed to gig with those cheap-crap Roland controllers for years without them doing so, so why would you expect this board to do that? If anything, they probably use better plastic in 2014 than Roland used in 1994.

And the demands of the build quality of the casing would be the same for the A37 as for the MOXF8. If you drop it and it breaks, it drops and breaks. Whether you paid $350 or $1700. So how one could be "crappy" and the other that you admit has worse build quality "solid" makes no sense.

And as far as being demanding....well look at what you get for all that extra money. That's a lot to demand. If that same A37 could do everything the MOXF8 does for $1700, would you still consider it to be "solid" and "A++++++", or would it suddenly become "crappy build"?

I'm just not getting the standards here. Sorry, but I'll probably have to stop reading your reviews. Too bad, because you seem to have some good observations to make, I just have no basis from which to understand what those observations mean in the real world.

• Members

IT CREAKED WHEN I TWISTED IT AND I"M NOT A BIG DUDE ....IT FREAKED ME OUT....I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BREAK RIGHT THERE IN MY HANDS !!!!!

End of subject......I wouldn't burn you at the stake if you thought something was built too cheap......

Plastic gives and bends a bit. That's a GOOD thing. It's when it's too brittle than you need to start worrying.

I'm not trying to burn you at the stake. Just trying to understand what your observations mean and maybe help your reviews in the future.

• Members

So far I haven't seen any reports of issues in the field with MOXF8, which I was considering as my main keyboard replacement (but got a CP4 instead).

Frankly, I wouldn't want to drop ANY keyboard. I'd like to say I never have, but my NE2 slipped out of the back of my van once, and the wooden endcap is now damaged as a result. The MOXF8 I'd have kept in my rigid foam case with light plywood walls, which would have protected a light board like the MOXF8 adequately from the same fall.

I wouldn't want to drop an XF8 in nothing but a gig bag! My guess is it'd fare even worse than the much lighter MOXF8. But, that's just a guess.

In any case, I think the MOXF8 is a great value, and hopefully it holds up to typical careful road use ("careful" meaning taking the same care we take with all our keyboards: hauling ourselves if using a gig bag, or using a flight case for the band van.)

• Members

I did a gigbag thing for awhile with a SY77. Talk about a heavy old beast! Even with careful, hauling-in-myself use, I ended up cracking a couple of the input jacks on the back. Keyboards that heavy just simply shouldn't be in a bag unless it was one that had a LOT of padding. They just simply weigh too much for the design of the bags.

I had my Motif fall off the top tier of a stand and land on its side once. It's still got a dent/scuff from that. Would a similar fall have cracked the case on the MOXF8? Perhaps. Especially if it landed right on the corner on a hard floor. At the same time, it's much lighter so the impact wouldn't be nearly as great as what the Motif endured.

But drop ANY keyboard and you're going to risk external and internal damage. I don't know that any of them are actually more resistant to damage from being dropped than others. Just going to depend on the circumstances. " Built like a tank" or not.

• Members

By the way, I have never had a keyboard take a fall yet (32 years of gigs and counting), but I have had bar fights break out close to my boards many times....I bet the MOXF8 and the Motif XF7 wouldn't survive it the same if someone landed on them....I bet the Motif XF7 would survive or at least be able to be repaired (the casing on the Motif XF7 is heavy steel)....

How much money would you get from a drunk at the bar if this happened?

Good luck on that one.....

I played a solo gig once and went to the restroom and when I returned there was a lady passed out on my Yamaha P200 piano.....true story (I had just bought it....it was the second gig I used it on)......it's built similar in quality to a Motif XF and all that happened to it was she dented one of my speaker grills a little which I was able to fix.....I bet that will never happen again but it shows that when drunks are involved, anything can happen.....I'm not sure my P-70 would have survived that and it's built way better than the MOXF8.....

Unfortunately bar owners frown on you killing their patrons.....

I took an expensive set of headphones to the music store today to see how the MOXF8 and the Motif XF7 compare as far as how they REALLY sound......(if you compare something, ALWAYS use headphones because the mixer and whatever it's hooked up through may be set different for each keyboard which wouldn't give you an accurate picture of each).....

Hearing is believing....the Motif XF7 sounds A LOT better.....it must have better converters or something.....I posted a video I found on YouTube a while back comparing the two and they sounded the same to me listening to the video.....this is not what I heard today.....

People need to be aware of the difference in sound from the MOXF and the Motif XF because chances are, they will have either keyboard all long time......

I was 100% certain I was going to buy the MOXF8......this shows that you should never buy anything without trying it and examining it very closely before you buy.....

I'm not the only one who says it sounds better....this is a review I copied (the review is for the MOXF6) :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.0_star.gifJim Puzycki from Grand Blanc, MI USA - June 18, 2014

Music Background:

Keyboards, Drums

I upgraded from the MOXF6 which i have owned for several months to the Motif XF6. My intuition said that something must be inside that extra grand than what is being compared to with the MOXF6. I spent frustrating months with my MOXF6 researching all types of outboard gear, interfaces, etc...you name it...to get the sound that i was looking for and finally basically gave up and decided to buy the Motif XF. Yes, it blew a hole in my pocket but i was absolutely blown away by how much better the XF sounds than the MOXF sounds. The only person who would conclude that the two sound the same is the person who never owned an XF...lush, warm, analog feel, vintage, etc etc etc....all that i have been searching for. What a bunch of nonsense...no they do not sound the same and the advertising is deceiving. Save the extra cash and buy the real deal...the XF is the best sounding Yamaha has and there is no comparison with the MOXF. You DO get what you pay for out there, folks. Damn, i learned the hard way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just like when Roland said that the JV-1010 sounded as good as the JV-1080 and JV-2080.....that was nonsense as well.....I have the JV-1010 and I wouldn't use it for recording......it's not even getting used....I use my better Roland racks with the same sounds.....

If people are aware of the difference in sound between boards, that's one thing but they shouldn't be fooled into thinking something that's just not true....they should also want to get the best sound possible especially for recordings because they can't change them later on....I have seen the way they advertise the MOXF and Motif XF as being the same....

If someone can't afford the real Motif XF, a Motif Rack XS will give them most of the sounds that are in the Motif XFand more importantly, the same quality.....I'm pretty sure a lot of the additional samples they're always talking about are for additional acoustic piano sounds they put in the Motif XF.....people can get a Motif Rack XS used on Ebay for as low as $600 with patience (that's the lowest I've seen them sell for)......the majority of what is in the Motif XS rack sounds identical to the sound set in the Motif XF and the Motif Rack XS also has digital out for recording and quick edit knobs....

The purpose of this post is to warn people that MOXF and Motif XF are very different.....compare them side by side yourself and you'll see........

• Members

The purpose of this post is to warn people that MOXF and Motif XF are very different.....compare them side by side yourself and you'll see........

This is a topic that has been discussed much over on the Motifator forum. That fact that there's so much disagreement about it alone indicates the differences in sound quality are very slight.

During your comparison there are no doubt several things you didn't take into account. #1 being that the weighted MOXF8 and the unweighted XF7 are going to have different velocity curves which that alone will result in the same patch sounding quite different.

But more important is what is likely going on in your own head. You've already indicated a bias against the MOXF8----so anyone should be surprised you decided it sounds worse? Nobody ever wants to admit that THEY are ever susceptible to such hearing biases, but the fact is that all human beings are. We hear what we want to hear.

The only way to truly compare such things would be in a blind listening environment.

But bottom line is: if you say you hear a difference then I believe you. Don't buy a MOXF8 if you personally don't like the sound of it. That's all that matters.

I compared a MOXF8 to a XF8 (a more apt comparison than to a XF7 for obvious reasons) and couldn't hear a difference. My reading of forum chats and reviews on the internet indicate that at least 90% of players agree with me. And, of course, whatever differences that might actually exist aren't going to be noticed in a live performance environment anyway. And certainly not a $1900 sound difference.

I would sum the difference up this way:

If you're in a position where $1700 and $3600 are of little difference to you, then go for the XF8. Why not? Or if the XF8 has features that are simply must-haves for you---then obviously the extra $1900 is a necessary investment. (In my personal situation, if I didn't already own a Kronos, then I'd be buying the XF8 because I'd need the sampler, the assignable audio outputs, aftertouch and the additional faders. The bigger screen would be a nice, but not essential feature. The metal casing would be an either/or feature: YES it would be more solidly built but YES it would weigh twice as much. The extra weight alone would be a major reason for me to not want the XF8.)

But if it's just about the sound quality? NO WAY is the XF8 $1900 better. (Again, I heard no difference at all. And that was with me expecting to. I've heard claims of "same sound quality" about different keyboards before, only to find out that wasn't true.)

• Members

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the build quality of the MOX boards. NOTHING.

I have an MOX6 and would be happy to gig with it regularly. Yes, it has plastic case, but it is very high quality plastic. I also like the lightweight quality of the MOX, as well as the price tag.

There is quite a difference in price between the MOX and Motif XF that is a substantial factor for many buyers.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the build quality of the MOX. Personally, I would prefer to upgrade to the XF7 because I would like the longer keyboard and better keybed quality.

• Members

Yes. All synth weighted keyboards weigh less than their fully weighted counterparts. The XF8 weighs 64 lbs. Comparing the XF7 to the MOXF8 is like comparing a higher class 2x4 car to a lower class 4x4 car. It's makes no sense to offer up the former as an alternative to someone who wants/needs a 4x4.

And the plastic case on the MOXF8 is just fine. Best plastic case Ive yet to see on any keyboard and far, far better than the case on the Roland A37 controller that you, yourself called "solid" and gave 5 stars for "durability". You say you don't want less than Motif ES6 quality....except when you're OK with it, apparently.... Hookay...

Congrats on your purchase though. The XF7 is a great board. I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment from it for years to come. If I didn't need a fully weighted board, I might have purchased one recently too. But since I did need one, the XF7 wasn't even on the list of boards to consider.

Archived