Switching a Gotek floppy emulator into the Korg Triton Rack

RockPianoman

• Members

First of all, there are 4 plastic rings under the floppy disk drive.....don't lose these as they are spacers to hold the unit up and you don't even know they are there normally (I didn't)......

I bought the Gotek floppy emulator that gives you a USB jack....it's a perfect fit....you can find them in black or beige....I bought beige so I could see the 2 black buttons better on a dark stage.....if you do get the black one, a dot of white paint on each button helps you to see them in low light....as it turned out the beige is a perfect match for the color of the Triton rack.....

Don't buy the Gotek unless it comes with the software as this makes it work (use V. 2) and use the middle tab....Copy the software onto your hard drive into a folder and unzip it there.....I would make sure the USB thumbdrive is blank before using it.....I wouldn't use too big of a thumbdrive as it will only hold 144 MB total and you cannot use the thunbdrive for anything else or you will screw up the format and possibly lose all your sound banks.....Don't format the USB thumbdrive with the Korg Triton rack.....format it with the Windows software only....I installed the software on a computer with Windows XP.....I have no idea what other operating systems will work with this software....

One nice thing is since the Gotek uses it's own software to make it work, you can use it with synths and devices that don't speak DOS (the Yamaha SY77 and Alesis Data Disk floppies don't speak DOS) and I'm sure there are many others that don't.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ulator&_sop=15

The unit fits very well and very securely and the cables plug right in with no problems......the wide serial cable has a notch in the middle that faces down when you plug it in.....the white power cable has a notch that faces up when you plug it in....

Remove the built in floppy by removing the 4 screws that hold it in from the bottom.....put the floppy screws back in the holes as they are larger screws and use 4 pieces of tape to hold them in tight.....turn the unit back over and put the 4 plastic rings back on the screws.....using gel superglue (as it's easier to work with) glue the 4 spacer rings to the bottom by lifting them up slightly (use a toothpick to put on the glue).....be careful not to let the glue touch the screws.....only the plastic rings.....make sure they are pressed down tightly against the bottom of the inside of the cabinet and let them dry.....

The screws for the Gotek are much smaller which is why you should glue the spacers in using the larger floppy disk screws (you want to be able to switch back to the floppy drive should you ever choose to do so).....

The software they include formats the USB thumbdrive into 100 floppies.....the two buttons on the front are for selecting which floppy you use (000 - 099).....the right button scrolls from 0 - 9 on the far right digit and the left button scrolls from 0 - 9 on the middle digit....once you select the floppy you want, press the DISK button and it will switch to that floppy....

You can only access floppy 000 from the computer unless you use the same software from the middle tab....it lets you access all the virtual floppies......

The first USB thumbdrive I tried was a 15 GB and it didn't work......the next one I tried was a 1 GB thumbdrive and it works good....

I haven't tried to load internet sound banks yet but I assume that using the software you should be able to do this....with the software, when you select a floppy a window opens showing what is on the virtual floppy....I would assume you can paste sound banks in that window.....

I guess time will tell how reliable this software is for this....that seems to be the whole picture as far as how reliable this unit will be......I would definitely backup your data to DVD....you have to copy them one floppy at a time to the computer using the software to select each virtual floppy one by one....

It says in the manual that the Korg Triton rack is a MIDI data filer that will save data for any piece of MIDI gear.....I haven't tried to do this yet with the Gotek.....it seems like this should work fine doing this.....

My Yamaha DX7IIFD is a MIDI data filer too for external gear (it has a floppy too).... I haven't switched my DX7IIFD over to a Gotek yet but I probably will....if you switch any floppy drive on any piece of gear over, make sure to move all your floppies to the computer first as you won't be able to later....you'll need to get an editor for your synth and a USB / MIDI cable to do this....you can usually find free editors online and the USB / MIDI cable is about $5 online....MIDI Ox is free and works for many synths....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here's the Gotek software.....the entire CD is zipped (.rar)....I tested the download with the Google Chrome browser and it worked fine....don't format the USB thumbdrive with the synth....use only the software to format it (read all the instructions before starting).....

GoTek Software Disc

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZai8L5RcEGSmMyWU5UYUR3RGs/view?usp=sharing

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just bought a used Korg Triton Rack with a built-in Gotek Floppy Emulation.

But it's not recognized by the Triton it seems that it's not formatted yet.

How do I archive this? What do I have to do? Could you please "reactivate" the dropbox link to the Gotek software?

Thanks,

Florian

• 6 months later...

Archived