Analog Synth Recommendations?

ae5

• Members

I've been wanting an analog synth for many years. I'm mainly a guitarist/DAW producer and have only used softsynths, which spoil me for their low price tag and ability to save everything and have polyphony and so on but I'm leaning more and more towards finally taking the plunge and trying to get my mitts on an actual analog synth.

I was curious about the moog sub37, as it's not as crazy expensive as the voyager, but seems pretty awesome. The samples I've heard of it sound incredible and while it can only make 2 tones at once (not full on polyphony, but still not totally monophonic) I'm wondering, as I have been spoiled by software synths and their insane versatility, to drop this kind of money and only be able to do monophonic stuff is kinda meh, but it is what it is. Seems a trade off with getting an insanely "fat/warm/analog" sound from a monophonic vs. being able to play chords and such.

I turn to you people who know much more than I do about this. I may end up aiming at getting 2 "hardware" synths, I love and want the big fat warm real analog tones I'd get from something like a sub37, but also would really love to find an awesome synth for pad sounds, really lush to complex ones, as those are my favorite types of synth sounds and what I'd be looking for out of a synth, with polyphony. Does anyone know of any actual analog ones I should look at (obviously the cheaper the better for me) or would I be relegated to VA synths?

Does anyone happen to know any best of both world synths perhaps that has lush polyphonic pad sounds I can play chords with as well as the extremely fat basses and leads I'd be looking for, that is an actual fully analog signal path? and hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Members

There is definitely a "Moog sound," and for those who want it, the only real choice is to buy a real Moog synthesizer (I have had a Little Phatty for many years). But yes, they are not polyphonic, so they are best used for synth bass, leads, solos, etc.

Then there is the Prophet 08, which is a nice, analog polysynth. Buying a used one of these might be a good option, because if it just isn't that exciting for you, you can always sell it for about what you paid for it. If you buy new, be prepared to lose quite a bit of money if you decide to sell.

Personally, having played synths and keyboards for 40 years, I mostly use software instruments these days. If you have a relatively current and powerful computer, try downloading the Diva demo if you haven't done so. This is an amazing software instrument that manages to produce a fantastic analog-ish sound at an exceptionally reasonable price.

I also really like Roland's newer Supernatural Synth, which is found in the Jupiter-50/80 and FA06/08 keyboards. It sounds great and is much more flexible and powerful than any analog synth. But editing is not easy, although I can use an iPad editor with my Jupiter-50. There is a lot of menu-diving, and if you're not an experienced synth programmer, it can be daunting.

The Access Virus synths are also exceptionally versatile VA instruments, being capable of emulating many vintage synth sounds from the past, along with thousands of synths sounds that an analog could never make. They have a lot of knobs, providing easy access to dozens of parameters, and the TI (I have a Polar) comes with thousands of presets that can be used as is, or as starting points for your own creations.

Personally, the 100% pure analog sound just isn't that important to me or the music I make. And in the end, I don't believe that listeners can tell the difference between an analog polysynth and a VA or a software instrument like Diva. But this remains a topic of great debate, with champions on both sides of the fence.

• Members
but also would really love to find an awesome synth for pad sounds, really lush to complex ones, as those are my favorite types of synth sounds and what I'd be looking for out of a synth, with polyphony.

I'd say stick with softsynths for lush, complex pads. Go with analog for leads or bass, where mono is just fine. I have a Poly Evolver, and while I do use it sometimes for poly pads, I think I more often use softs for that. But I suppose it depends on your tastes and style of music.

• Members

Yea I'm getting that impression from everything I can find. The only analog synths with pad sounds are very minimal retro sounding pads, whereas I'm spoiled with crazy lush complex pads from softsynths, but when I think what those would take to make with real life analog oscillators and such I don't think I could afford it.

Many VA synths do sound awesome but if I was using a digital synth anyway I'd likely just stick with a softsynth for way less cost.

Probably leaning towards the moog sub 37 if I do finally end up getting a hardware analog synth.

Thanks for all the info.

• Members

For sheer quasi-modular flexibility, I have to recommend the Oberheim Xpander or its bigger brother, the Matrix-12. I have an Xpander and can assure you it is astonishingly fat. I remember wanting a Korg Mono-Poly for years because it was knobby and analog, but when I finally found one I was disappointed in its lack of guts. It is flexible and no doubt fun to use, but soundwise, it is lacking in my opinion.

The Alesis Andromeda A6 looks very capable and knobby, but I have not had the priveledge of playing with one to assess its sound.

I have a Roland JX-8P, which is not at all knobby, but has all the essential things an analog should have: 12 envelope generators, 6 filters, syncable and cross-modulation capable oscillators. They sound good too, it's just a shame that the aftertouch mechanism on all of them failed over 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived